Picture Box Height Limitation on Win98?
Author Message
 Picture Box Height Limitation on Win98?

If I set the height of a picture box to 128000 on Win98,
then I get an error when I try to write to it with Print.

If I set it to 62,000 everything works fine.

Does anyone know anything about this apparent limitation?
On XP I get no error.

thanks

M. L. Harvey

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 05:07:26 GMT
 Picture Box Height Limitation on Win98?

Quote:
> If I set the height of a picture box to 128000 on Win98,
> then I get an error when I try to write to it with Print.

> If I set it to 62,000 everything works fine.

> Does anyone know anything about this apparent limitation?
> On XP I get no error.

This might be relevant:
http://homepages.borland.com/efg2lab/Graphics/VeryLargeBitmap.h
tm

A couple of questions:

1)  How wide is the picture box?

2)  Is AutoRedraw = True?

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 05:34:15 GMT
 Picture Box Height Limitation on Win98?
I believe that if you never make it visible you can exceed the full screen size limitation.

D.

Quote:
> If I set the height of a picture box to 128000 on Win98,
> then I get an error when I try to write to it with Print.

> If I set it to 62,000 everything works fine.

> Does anyone know anything about this apparent limitation?
> On XP I get no error.

> thanks

> M. L. Harvey

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:13:55 GMT
 Picture Box Height Limitation on Win98?
To answer your questions, the width is 14000 and
autoredraw = True, yes.

M. L. Harvey

Quote:

Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:17:06 GMT
 Picture Box Height Limitation on Win98?
It may be relevant--I print to the pic box but do not
display a graphic in it.

M. L. Harvey

Quote:

Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:24:42 GMT
 Picture Box Height Limitation on Win98?

Quote:
> It may be relevant--I print to the pic box but do not
> display a graphic in it.

I suspect you're getting hosed by a video card limitation.  Try
the test application at that link that I sent you, and see if
it's consistent with what you're seeing.

Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:35:50 GMT
 Picture Box Height Limitation on Win98?

Quote:
> If I set the height of a picture box to 128000 on Win98,
> then I get an error when I try to write to it with Print.

> If I set it to 62,000 everything works fine.

> Does anyone know anything about this apparent limitation?
> On XP I get no error.

> thanks

> M. L. Harvey

Hi,

I suspect that the problem lies in the fact that VB's PictureBox control
stores its image in a "Device-Dependent Bitmap" ("DDB") rather than a
"Device-Independent Bitmap" ("DIB").

The advantage of DDBs is that they are much faster than DIBs, the
disadvantage is that DDBs are limited to a fixed maximum size, presumably to
ensure that a single graphic does not use up all available system
resources/memory.

I have worked around this problem in the past by splitting large graphics
into chunks which will fit into the largest PictureBox which can be created.

Hope that helps,

Dave.

Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:40:34 GMT

1. picture height is different from Picture.picture.height

2. picture height is different from Picture.picture.height

3. picture height is different from Picture.picture.height

4. picture height is different from Picture.picture.height

5. picture height is different from Picture.picture.height

6. limitations of a picture box???

7. Picture Box limitations or BUG???

8. Picture Box limitations or BUG???

9. Does the Picture Box have a Max Height?!

10. VB6 Form Height Limitations?

11. ? PWS limitation on Win98 ?

12. Form height Win98 vs. WinXP