VB4 (16 Bit) => VB5 (32 Bit)
Author Message
 VB4 (16 Bit) => VB5 (32 Bit)

I am going to have to convert an application that was created in Visual
Basic 4 (16 Bit) to a Visual Basic 5 (32 Bit) application.  Does any one
know of problems that I will encounter?  Is there an easy way to do it?

Also, can I use a 16 Bit control for VB4 in a 32 Bit VB5 application?  I
am assuming that this might curb some of the problems that I might face
(if it is even possible to do).

Thanx  -- Jim

Sun, 16 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB4 (16 Bit) => VB5 (32 Bit)

Jim,

Quote:
>I am going to have to convert an application that was created in Visual
>Basic 4 (16 Bit) to a Visual Basic 5 (32 Bit) application.  Does any one
>know of problems that I will encounter?  Is there an easy way to do it?

>Also, can I use a 16 Bit control for VB4 in a 32 Bit VB5 application?  I
>am assuming that this might curb some of the problems that I might face
>(if it is even possible to do).

In general, code will convert pretty painlessly. However, some types of code
will have potential problems. This is particularly true for code that access
the API. You API declarations will need to change and most Integer variables
passed to the API will need to be changed to Longs.

16-bit controls will not work in VB5. Fortunately, most vendors provide a
32-bit version of their 16-bit controls that is pretty much compatible. If
there is not a 32-bit replacement, then you'll definitely need to do a bit
more work.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming

Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. HELP: VB4-16 bit to VB5-32 bit problem

2. Converting a VB4.0 16 Bit app to VB5 32 bit

3. A QUESTION: 16-bit VB4 to 32-bit VB5

4. Russian(Cyrillic): vb4 32-bit works, but vb4 16-bit doesn't

5. MakeMenuRtoL (in 16 bit) -> ?????(32 bit)

6. Passthrough queries fail in 16-bit VB4, succeed in 32-bit

7. VB4.0 - 16 bit and 32 bit

8. VB4 16-bit vs 32-bit

9. VB4 16-bit vs 32-bit

10. Can VB4.0 32 Bit call a 16 bit DLL