"Cannot load """
Author Message
 "Cannot load """

I had VB 5.0 loaded on the NT system at work. Later, I loaded MS
Developer studio. After I deleted
Developer Studio, I can no longer use the VB Controls 5.0
(comctl32.ocx). When I try to select it
from the Components, I get a dialog saying "Cannot Load """. I've tried
registering it using the
registration app., but to no avail. It's like VB5 ignores the fact that
the ocx exists. It does exist in the
\winnt\system32 directory. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Bob

Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 "Cannot load """
This could be a version problem with  COMCAT.DLL . (Ver 5.x.xxxx)
Unregister the Dll using Regsvr32 /u comcat.dll
Rename the Dll to *.old
Copy from your VB CD the original file (comcat.dll ver. 4.71) to the System
directory
Register the Dll using Regsvr32 comcat.dll
Reboot to get the new settings "online".
This happen when comcat-dll is version 5.x instead of ver 4.71.
(By some reason it miss some of the registration info for the VB5 dll's, and
OCX's..)

Give this a try.
Regards, Asbjoern.
Asbjoern Aamot [Microsoft.MVP-VB]
P.b. 562 N-6901 Floroe , NORWAY
http://www.vestdata.no/~asea/asbj.htm See also http://www.mvps.org

WARNING: I do normally not answer VB-related Q recieved by email !
So IF You wish for an answer, PLS send Q to microsoft.public.vb.(related
topic)
My opinions do not necessarily represent
the expression of official Microsoft policy.
I volunteer my time through the MVP program.
I am not employed by Microsoft.

>I had VB 5.0 loaded on the NT system at work. Later, I loaded MS
>Developer studio. After I deleted
>Developer Studio, I can no longer use the VB Controls 5.0
>(comctl32.ocx). When I try to select it
>from the Components, I get a dialog saying "Cannot Load """. I've tried
>registering it using the
>registration app., but to no avail. It's like VB5 ignores the fact that
>the ocx exists. It does exist in the
>\winnt\system32 directory. Any ideas??

>Thanks,
>Bob

Fri, 23 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 "Cannot load """
Possibly you've deleted a DLL that the control uses.  If the DLL isn't there
then the control fails to load and thus the message.  Have a look at the
NTInternals site to find the 'depnds' utilit that can show you what's
required by a DLL (that doesn't use TRUE dynamic loading of its dependants).

peetm

Quote:

>I had VB 5.0 loaded on the NT system at work. Later, I loaded MS
>Developer studio. After I deleted
>Developer Studio, I can no longer use the VB Controls 5.0
>(comctl32.ocx). When I try to select it
>from the Components, I get a dialog saying "Cannot Load """. I've tried
>registering it using the
>registration app., but to no avail. It's like VB5 ignores the fact that
>the ocx exists. It does exist in the
>\winnt\system32 directory. Any ideas??

>Thanks,
>Bob

Fri, 23 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 "Cannot load """

Quote:

> Possibly you've deleted a DLL that the control uses.  If the DLL isn't there
> then the control fails to load and thus the message.  Have a look at the
> NTInternals site to find the 'depnds' utilit that can show you what's
> required by a DLL (that doesn't use TRUE dynamic loading of its dependants).

> peetm

> >I had VB 5.0 loaded on the NT system at work. Later, I loaded MS
> >Developer studio. After I deleted
> >Developer Studio, I can no longer use the VB Controls 5.0
> >(comctl32.ocx). When I try to select it
> >from the Components, I get a dialog saying "Cannot Load """. I've tried
> >registering it using the
> >registration app., but to no avail. It's like VB5 ignores the fact that
> >the ocx exists. It does exist in the
> >\winnt\system32 directory. Any ideas??

> >Thanks,
> >Bob

No. But thanks for responding. If you read the response from Asbjoern Aamot, he
had
the correct answer. Although the comcat.dll was version 4.7.1, had the same
date, but
a slightly different time for the file; I over-wrote the file from the VB5 CD
into
winnt\system32. After doing this, the Windows Controls 5.0 did not even show up
in the Components menu. I then re-registered comcat.dll. Still no controls.
Lastly, I
re-registered comctl32.ocx, and this fixed the problem. Thanks to Asbjoern for
his
award-winning response.

Bob Horn

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. *"*-.,._,.-*"* I"LL TRADE VISUAL C++ FOR VBASIC *"*-.,_,.-*"*

2. Help: "Cannot load from file" error

3. GetObject("","InternetExplorer.Application") fails in Excel VBA

4. SysCmd 603, "path","path"

5. Disabling "BACK"/"FORWARD" buttons

6. Loop print "VARIABLE", "VARIABLE"

7. DLL or something like "#"#ยค#"!"#

8. Disabling "BACK"/"FORWARD" buttons

10. Problem With "window.showmodaldialog("")"

12. GetObject("","InternetExplorer.Application") fails in Excel VBA