Linking to a Web Site
Author Message
 Linking to a Web Site

I know that this might be a very basic question but I've tried everything
that I know of and can't make things work.

I am trying to make a command button go to a website when it is clicked.  So
far everything works.  I can get access to the website I want and things are
cool.  My problem is when I try to add data from a textbox into the URL it
cant connect.

Does anyone understand what I am talking about.  If more information is
needed let me know.

The URL is:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Then at the end after the = you are supposed to have a series of numbers and
it will show you tracking information on packages shipped through UPS.  My
program is connected to a database that the numbers and other information
are in.  So I can scroll through the data in a readable form.  But I'd like
to have it track the displayed package without have to type the tracking
number in.

Any help on this will be appreciated.

Thanks
Aaron Todd

Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:35:25 GMT
 Linking to a Web Site
Does the ShellExecute code at
http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/code/shell/shellexecute.htm help ?

--

Randy Birch
MVP Visual Basic

http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/

:
: http://wwwapps.ups.com/tracking/tracking.cgi?tracknum=
:
: Then at the end after the = you are supposed to have a series of numbers
and
: it will show you tracking information on packages shipped through UPS.  My
: program is connected to a database that the numbers and other information
: are in.  So I can scroll through the data in a readable form.  But I'd
like
: to have it track the displayed package without have to type the tracking
: number in.
:
: Any help on this will be appreciated.
:
: Thanks
: Aaron Todd
:
:
:
:

Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:58:52 GMT
 Linking to a Web Site
When you say that it cannot connect, do you mean the UPS web site will not
show up at all, or the tracking number cannot be found?  It may depend on
how you are building the string.

How exactly are you adding the UPS reference number to "
http://wwwapps.ups.com/tracking/tracking.cgi?tracknum="?

By the way, you can send up to 25 tracking numbers and the UPS site will
show a summary for each entry and your users can then select a specific one
for more details.  Might be useful for tracking more than one shipment.

Jim

Quote:
> I know that this might be a very basic question but I've tried everything
> that I know of and can't make things work.

> I am trying to make a command button go to a website when it is clicked.
So
> far everything works.  I can get access to the website I want and things
are
> cool.  My problem is when I try to add data from a textbox into the URL it
> cant connect.

> Does anyone understand what I am talking about.  If more information is
> needed let me know.

> The URL is:
> http://wwwapps.ups.com/tracking/tracking.cgi?tracknum=

> Then at the end after the = you are supposed to have a series of numbers
and
> it will show you tracking information on packages shipped through UPS.  My
> program is connected to a database that the numbers and other information
> are in.  So I can scroll through the data in a readable form.  But I'd
like
> to have it track the displayed package without have to type the tracking
> number in.

> Any help on this will be appreciated.

> Thanks
> Aaron Todd

Sat, 28 Feb 2004 03:21:05 GMT

1. How to link to a Web site

2. Linking to a Web Site

3. FYI - New Web Site Security Issue - Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability

4. Site Maps - for web site

5. Best site for freelancer work (PHP, Web site, java, oracle sql, php, data entry)

6. Sending Web Visitors to a backup web site if main one is down

7. Detecting bad web site in web browser control

8. Web Browser: Opening link in new Web Browser window

9. must see IT links site

10. New Freebie Site Plus Put a Link on my webpage for free

11. New Freebie Site plus Put a link on my Webpage for FREE

12. More than 100 links to VB sites