CREATING ADO CONTROL
Author Message
 CREATING ADO CONTROL

Im creating my own ADO Data Bound ActiveX Control.
I have set adoConnection = New ADODB.Connection
and the ConnectionString is "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.3.51"
plus the location of the .mdb

I have my own error catcher in code, and when I run the
program, I get the error description:

"Can't find installable ISAM"

CAN ANYONE OFFER ANY INFO WHATSOEVER THAT MIGHT
EXPLAIN THIS ?  ... OR AT LEAST POINT ME INTO RIGHT DIRECTION??

I though ISAM was about data that's NOT Microsoft Access !??

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CREATING ADO CONTROL

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 CREATING ADO CONTROL
When to Use ODBC

A number of factors influence choosing the ODBC approach. These include a requirement for
high performance, more granular control over the interface, and a small footprint.

The ODBC API is considerably harder to code than the object-based interfaces, but provides
a finer degree of control over the data source. Unlike other data access technologies
(such as ADO, RDO, or ODBCDirect), the ODBC API has not been made "bullet proof." While
it's fairly easy to create ODBC errors during development, the ODBC API provides excellent
error handling with detailed error messages. In general, developing, debugging, and
supporting an ODBC API application requires a lot of knowledge, experience, and many lines
of code. As a general rule, developers prefer to access data by using a simpler,
higher-level object interface such as ADO.

ODBC is not suitable for nonrelational data such as ISAM (Indexed Sequential Access
Method) data because it has no interfaces for seeking records, setting ranges, or browsing
indexes. ODBC simply was not designed to access ISAM data. While you can use the Microsoft
Jet ODBC driver to handle ISAM and native Microsoft Jet engine data, what is really
happening is that the Microsoft Jet database engine converts the ISAM data to relational
data and then provides limited ISAM functionality. Performance in this situation is slow
due to the extra layer imposed by the Microsoft Jet engine.

If your application requires very fast access to existing ODBC data, and you're willing to
write many lines of complex code (or you already have a lot of ODBC code available for
reuse), ODBC is a good choice.

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Create User Control as Data Source Using ADO Data Control

2. Creating ADO Data Bound ActiveX Controls

3. Howto create an ADO control at runtime?????

4. Creating RecordSet with ADO Control

5. Create a control object without creating a control?

6. ADO Control against ADO 2.1 and ADO 2.0

7. ADO ADO ADO ADO ADO VB examples / samples book wanted

8. Bind an ado recordset directly to an ado data control (adodc)

9. Using ADO w/ADO data control date problems

10. ADO control works while ADO Connection String fails

11. ADO Libary or ADO Data control?

12. ADO Control OR ADO object?