how to upgrade distributed software
Author Message
 how to upgrade distributed software

I am developing a program that may need simple updates in the future.  The
software is on a network.  When the user logs in, the program checks to see
if it needs updates.

How would I go about updating a compiled program?

Say that I found a bug and had some upgrades in usercontrols, and I wanted
to give the updates to clients.
So I fix the bug (changing the code slightly).

How would I get the updates to my clients?  Would they have to install the
program again, or have to download a fairly large *.exe file?

How does Microsoft do their service-packs?

Any help would gladly be appreciated!

Justin Van Patten

Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 how to upgrade distributed software
Check out NetDeploy at http://www.osa.com/ . We use this to update user's
application and support files.

--

Randy Birch, MVP Visual Basic

http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/
http://www.mvps.org/ccrp/

Quote:

>I am developing a program that may need simple updates in the future.  The
>software is on a network.  When the user logs in, the program checks to see
>if it needs updates.

>How would I go about updating a compiled program?

>Say that I found a bug and had some upgrades in usercontrols, and I wanted
>to give the updates to clients.
>So I fix the bug (changing the code slightly).

>How would I get the updates to my clients?  Would they have to install the
>program again, or have to download a fairly large *.exe file?

>How does Microsoft do their service-packs?

>Any help would gladly be appreciated!

>Justin Van Patten

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 how to upgrade distributed software

Quote:

> I am developing a program that may need simple updates in the future.  The
> software is on a network.  When the user logs in, the program checks to see
> if it needs updates.

> How would I go about updating a compiled program?

> Say that I found a bug and had some upgrades in usercontrols, and I wanted
> to give the updates to clients.
> So I fix the bug (changing the code slightly).

> How would I get the updates to my clients?  Would they have to install the
> program again, or have to download a fairly large *.exe file?

As Randy Birch also pointed out, netDeploy is designed to solve exactly
this problem. You pack and publish your application to a standard web,
file server using our Packer tool. The Packer has a GUI interface which
allows you specify each component of your app (files, registry entries,
environment variables, ini file settings, dependancies, icons, groups,
etc) and how they need to be installed. It then creates a catalog which
describes the app, compresses the application files and uploads the
whole package to any number of web or file servers.

Your clients use the netDeploy Launcher to check the catalog on the
server for updates. If there are updates to download, only those
components which have changed are transferred and installed. Typically
the package is set up so that the main application icon is in fact an
icon pointing to the Launcher instructing it to first check for updates
and then run the application. This way you are guaranteed that your
users are always running the latest version of your application.

netDeploy is also available as an SDK for integration directly with your
app.

Adam

Wed, 25 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Distributing Upgrades

2. Distributing VB5 upgrade of my VB4 app

3. Distributing Forms & Software Updates

4. DLL's and distributing software

5. How to distribute software on the NET

6. Distributing VB application and database software

7. Distributing ADO Software Developed on Windows 2000 Professional

8. Old Software Upgrading to .NET

9. APS upgrade software

10. UPgrade to vb6 didn't upgrade common controls

11. project design software , compare website design software , web developers , website design software review , nof shop , software quality , nof 7.5 , bestellen preisvergleich , web site design , custom web design ,

12. Free Software From Day and Age Software