Anyone Know How To Work With Images (image map i think)
Author Message
 Anyone Know How To Work With Images (image map i think)
i am looking to make a Skin for my Chat program, and other programs, and i
want all the images that are used in one BIG image, i have seen it done in
other programs, but i do not know how it's done,
if anyone could help that would be great.
Thanks
Jason S.

Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:54:04 GMT
 Anyone Know How To Work With Images (image map i think)
They subclass their forms and then use bitblt to copy the images on to the
forms...check out www.vbaccelerator.com and click on the neoCaption
component.

Note: This takes quite a bit of proggin if your not using any ocx or dll's
but its really easy...just long thats all.

-Jon

Sat, 10 Jan 2004 05:09:16 GMT
 Anyone Know How To Work With Images (image map i think)
You may be thinking of the ImageList control that comes with VB.  You can
also keep images in a resource file which gets compiled into your exe so
they are safe from ripoffs.
Resource editor is an add-on to VB that also comes with VB.

Harry Simpson

Quote:
> i am looking to make a Skin for my Chat program, and other programs, and i
> want all the images that are used in one BIG image, i have seen it done in
> other programs, but i do not know how it's done,
> if anyone could help that would be great.
> Thanks
> Jason S.

Sat, 10 Jan 2004 03:10:22 GMT
 Anyone Know How To Work With Images (image map i think)
Thanks i am going to take a look at that
Jason S.

Quote:
> You may be thinking of the ImageList control that comes with VB.  You can
> also keep images in a resource file which gets compiled into your exe so
> they are safe from ripoffs.
> Resource editor is an add-on to VB that also comes with VB.

> Harry Simpson

> > i am looking to make a Skin for my Chat program, and other programs, and
> > want all the images that are used in one BIG image, i have seen it done
in
> > other programs, but i do not know how it's done,
> > if anyone could help that would be great.
> > Thanks
> > Jason S.

Sat, 10 Jan 2004 03:16:03 GMT
 Anyone Know How To Work With Images (image map i think)
Thanks ill take a look at that site...
Jason S.

Quote:
> They subclass their forms and then use bitblt to copy the images on to the
> forms...check out www.vbaccelerator.com and click on the neoCaption
> component.

> Note: This takes quite a bit of proggin if your not using any ocx or dll's
> but its really easy...just long thats all.

> -Jon

Sat, 10 Jan 2004 03:16:26 GMT
 Anyone Know How To Work With Images (image map i think)
i guess ill halfto read up on that one. i have tryed to use that add-in but
has never worked for me, but i want to be able to let people make thair own
skins so that way thair is a wide selection of skins that can be used....

Quote:
> You may be thinking of the ImageList control that comes with VB.  You can
> also keep images in a resource file which gets compiled into your exe so
> they are safe from ripoffs.
> Resource editor is an add-on to VB that also comes with VB.

> Harry Simpson

> > i am looking to make a Skin for my Chat program, and other programs, and
> > want all the images that are used in one BIG image, i have seen it done
in
> > other programs, but i do not know how it's done,
> > if anyone could help that would be great.
> > Thanks
> > Jason S.

Sat, 10 Jan 2004 03:18:01 GMT
 Anyone Know How To Work With Images (image map i think)

Quote:
> You may be thinking of the ImageList control that comes with VB.  You can
> also keep images in a resource file which gets compiled into your exe so
> they are safe from ripoffs.
> Resource editor is an add-on to VB that also comes with VB.

Not really, Back in the day's before WinAMP was skinnable, you used to be
able to take a look inside at the .BMP files stored within the main
WinAMP.EXE and replace them with your own.  This was part of the reason that
WinAMP became openly sinkable to stop people 'hacking' it, and distributing
copies of the .EXE file.  A crude way to demonstrate this would be if you
open an EXE using images up in a hex editor and search for the Hex string
"0x36000000" (32-Bit decimal 40, the size and first field of a
BITMAPINFOHEADER type).  and you'll probably hit a bitmap image in the
.EXE's resource file which is simply tacked on the end of the application
data itself.

    Mike

 -- EDais --

WWW: Http://Members.xoom.com/EDais/

Sat, 10 Jan 2004 03:48:14 GMT
 Anyone Know How To Work With Images (image map i think)

Quote:
> They subclass their forms and then use bitblt to copy the images on to the
> forms...check out www.vbaccelerator.com and click on the neoCaption
> component.

> Note: This takes quite a bit of proggin if your not using any ocx or dll's
> but its really easy...just long thats all.

Why subclass?  You've got access to the form's hDC and know when it's being
told to paint.
BitBlt()'ing is the way to work with the image sheets though, you can also
use the PaintPicture() method of a picture box if you don't want to delve
into the API, BitBlt() is slightly faster though.  You can find a demo of
both PaintPicture() and BitBlt() on my page in the "Animated transparent
blit" demo application which should give you all the code you need, however
if you have any problem then feel free to get back to me about it and I'll
write you a quick demonstration application (I've been meaning to write one
for my page for a while now anyway)
Hope this helps,

    Mike

 -- EDais --

WWW: Http://Members.xoom.com/EDais/

Sat, 10 Jan 2004 03:52:31 GMT
 Anyone Know How To Work With Images (image map i think)
unfortunatly, the paint method doesn't cover it all...you need to draw on
other messages that aren't given access to in vb...and if you want to change
the size of the non-client part then you have to resort to subclassing.

-Jon

Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:19:23 GMT
 Anyone Know How To Work With Images (image map i think)

Quote:
> unfortunatly, the paint method doesn't cover it all...you need to draw on
> other messages that aren't given access to in vb...and if you want to
change
> the size of the non-client part then you have to resort to subclassing.

Like what?  I've written full skinned, scaleable applications without once
having to resort to subclassing...

    Mike

 -- EDais --

WWW: Http://Members.xoom.com/EDais/

Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:15:31 GMT
 Anyone Know How To Work With Images (image map i think)
Cool, That's like what i am looking for, here is what i am looking to make a
skin with,
Single window, 2 Text Boxes (Send & Recieve), and 1 List Box - Maby 2 List
Box's
Could you maby start me off?
Thanks
Jason S.

Quote:
> > unfortunatly, the paint method doesn't cover it all...you need to draw
on
> > other messages that aren't given access to in vb...and if you want to
> change
> > the size of the non-client part then you have to resort to subclassing.

> Like what?  I've written full skinned, scaleable applications without once
> having to resort to subclassing...

>     Mike

>  -- EDais --

> WWW: Http://Members.xoom.com/EDais/

Mon, 12 Jan 2004 02:35:42 GMT
 Anyone Know How To Work With Images (image map i think)

Quote:
> Thanks, i will try to play arround with some options and see what i can
do.
> do i need to make these in active-x? one of the thinks i saw was in
> active-x, and i do not know active-x.....

Nope, you can simply draw directly on an existing form in your project you
don't need to use an ActiveX component.
Hope this helps,

    Mike

 -- EDais --

WWW: Http://Members.xoom.com/EDais/

Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:11:11 GMT
 Anyone Know How To Work With Images (image map i think)
btw...i tried drawing on the forms nonclientarea with Paint()
provided....and it does the job but it doesn't do it all the time...
ex...when the form loses focus and it isn't covered by another app then it
doesn't bother redrawing itself and the titlebar buttons redraw themselves
and an area around them over the skin whenever you click on the titlebar .
subclassing the form to intercept wm_activate, nc_paint and a few other
messages would guarantee that the skin will stay on the from at all times.

-Jon

Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:01:00 GMT

 [ 21 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Anyone Know How To Work With Images (image map i think)

2. Image Control for image map?

3. Does anyone know a good image viewer control ?

4. Anyone know where I can find microsoft images

5. anyone know how to store a GIF in IMAGE field

6. Printing Images with Imaging for Windows (Wang Imaging)

7. image 1 + image 2 = image 3 how ???

8. ASP Returning a DIB Image (I think) from SQL , Netscape doesn't display it

9. ASP Returning a DIB Image (I think) from SQL , Netscape doesn't display it

10. Manual QueryString Parsing for Server-side Image Maps

11. zoom in and out over an image map

12. storing bit-map image (bmp or jpg) on SQL Server