Menus and others not looking right under XP
Author Message
 Menus and others not looking right under XP

Not sure where to post this (ie, as a bug query, or just a general control
issue), so apologies to those who read this twice.

We have a VB6 app that has menus. We used subclassing and COMCTL32 to put
icons on the menus.

This all works fine on all OSes except WinXP. Under WinXP, the icons don't
appear at all, and the menus are white. I realise that XP has its own
version of Common Controls, but I thought it retained V5 for backwards
compatibility and if so, why are the icons now showing up?

As a correllary (sp?), Statusbars also get a little weird - if there's
nothing in any of the cells of the statusbar, the whole thing can look
white, but as soon as something gets plugged into one cell, the whole thing
looks fine.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to restore our icons on the menus?

Thanks
Andrew

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:04:53 GMT
 Menus and others not looking right under XP
XP maintains computability be having both the old and new versions of the
DLL installed.  Try installing a copy of comctl32 in your application folder
with a file myapplication.local where my application is the EXE name.  That
'might' fix the problem.

I think that you are creating the menu with one version of the DLL and
subclassing with another in XP.  But then again I am usually wrong.

Matt

Quote:
> Not sure where to post this (ie, as a bug query, or just a general control
> issue), so apologies to those who read this twice.

> We have a VB6 app that has menus. We used subclassing and COMCTL32 to put
> icons on the menus.

> This all works fine on all OSes except WinXP. Under WinXP, the icons don't
> appear at all, and the menus are white. I realise that XP has its own
> version of Common Controls, but I thought it retained V5 for backwards
> compatibility and if so, why are the icons now showing up?

> As a correllary (sp?), Statusbars also get a little weird - if there's
> nothing in any of the cells of the statusbar, the whole thing can look
> white, but as soon as something gets plugged into one cell, the whole
thing
> looks fine.

> Does anyone have any ideas on how to restore our icons on the menus?

> Thanks
> Andrew

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:09:23 GMT
 Menus and others not looking right under XP
Thanks, I'm not sure that's it, because I'm actually developing on WinXP
too.

Quote:
> XP maintains computability be having both the old and new versions of the
> DLL installed.  Try installing a copy of comctl32 in your application
folder
> with a file myapplication.local where my application is the EXE name.
That
> 'might' fix the problem.

> I think that you are creating the menu with one version of the DLL and
> subclassing with another in XP.  But then again I am usually wrong.

> Matt

> > Not sure where to post this (ie, as a bug query, or just a general
control
> > issue), so apologies to those who read this twice.

> > We have a VB6 app that has menus. We used subclassing and COMCTL32 to
put
> > icons on the menus.

> > This all works fine on all OSes except WinXP. Under WinXP, the icons
don't
> > appear at all, and the menus are white. I realise that XP has its own
> > version of Common Controls, but I thought it retained V5 for backwards
> > compatibility and if so, why are the icons now showing up?

> > As a correllary (sp?), Statusbars also get a little weird - if there's
> > nothing in any of the cells of the statusbar, the whole thing can look
> > white, but as soon as something gets plugged into one cell, the whole
> thing
> > looks fine.

> > Does anyone have any ideas on how to restore our icons on the menus?

> > Thanks
> > Andrew

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:41:13 GMT

1. Menus and others not looking right under XP

2. Looking for lightweight Textbox control that does not hog up right mouse click

3. VB and M (MUMPS) looking for others

4. Howto add a menu to right-click menu for an item

5. Creating menu item on the right most portion of main menu

6. Right Click PopUp Menu and dynamic menu Item

7. Right Click PopUp Menu and dynamic menu Item

8. Right aligning Menu item in a menu control.

9. Right click menu (context menu?)

10. Right aligning Menu item in a menu control.

11. Right aligning Menu item in a menu control.

12. Error 3071...Why on one machine and not on others