resizing forms and controls
Author Message
 resizing forms and controls

how do I automatically resize the forms and controls in my application so
that they display properly when viewed on monitors with different
resolutions than mine?

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:30:47 GMT
 resizing forms and controls
The basics of re-sizing are that you resize each control manually by adding
code to the Form_Resize event.  You need to be a little bit careful with
text boxes and labels as at certain sizes you may also want to change the
font size as well to keep things looking OK.  With different screen
resolutions you will need to check what the users resolution is and decide
what you are going to do at each resolution - it is a case of trial and
error to a certain extent.

Quote:
> how do I automatically resize the forms and controls in my application so
> that they display properly when viewed on monitors with different
> resolutions than mine?

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:38:14 GMT
 resizing forms and controls
Robert,

What Olly said above makes sense - if you want complete control over
the resize process then you should go with manual coding (this is what
I personally do).

However, you should know that this is quite a "classic" problem in VB,
and a lot of companies sell "resize" OCX controls. They claim that you
simply drop the control on a form, and the form's controls will
automatically resize. Of course, some rezie controls are better than
other (in how much you can modify the default resize behavior).
Perahps a quick search at a reseller (xtras, componentsource) will
clear things up.

Mike.
Tools for Toolmakers from www.axtools.com
 * CodeSMART 2001 - Pure Productivity for VB Developers
 * EasyPatch 2001 - Software Applications Patch Toolkit
 * Source+ 2000   - The VB Components Reusability Tool

Quote:
>The basics of re-sizing are that you resize each control manually by adding
>code to the Form_Resize event.  You need to be a little bit careful with
>text boxes and labels as at certain sizes you may also want to change the
>font size as well to keep things looking OK.  With different screen
>resolutions you will need to check what the users resolution is and decide
>what you are going to do at each resolution - it is a case of trial and
>error to a certain extent.

>> how do I automatically resize the forms and controls in my application so
>> that they display properly when viewed on monitors with different
>> resolutions than mine?

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:48:48 GMT
 resizing forms and controls
bah... don't buy one when there are hundreds of freebies available... about
40 on this site alone

http://www.vbdiamond.com

--
Ken Halter
MS-MVP-VB

Quote:

> Robert,

> What Olly said above makes sense - if you want complete control over
> the resize process then you should go with manual coding (this is what
> I personally do).

> However, you should know that this is quite a "classic" problem in VB,
> and a lot of companies sell "resize" OCX controls. They claim that you
> simply drop the control on a form, and the form's controls will
> automatically resize. Of course, some rezie controls are better than
> other (in how much you can modify the default resize behavior).
> Perahps a quick search at a reseller (xtras, componentsource) will
> clear things up.

> Mike.
> Tools for Toolmakers from www.axtools.com
>  * CodeSMART 2001 - Pure Productivity for VB Developers
>  * EasyPatch 2001 - Software Applications Patch Toolkit
>  * Source+ 2000   - The VB Components Reusability Tool

>> The basics of re-sizing are that you resize each control manually by
>> adding code to the Form_Resize event.  You need to be a little bit
>> careful with text boxes and labels as at certain sizes you may also
>> want to change the font size as well to keep things looking OK.
>> With different screen resolutions you will need to check what the
>> users resolution is and decide what you are going to do at each
>> resolution - it is a case of trial and error to a certain extent.

>>> how do I automatically resize the forms and controls in my
>>> application so that they display properly when viewed on monitors
>>> with different resolutions than mine?

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:34:24 GMT
 resizing forms and controls

Quote:
> how do I automatically resize the forms and controls in my application so
> that they display properly when viewed on monitors with different
> resolutions than mine?

Don't forget, users can change fonts and text sizes.

How do you do it?

Basically you can't.

Ah, the wonderful world of braindead Microsoft.

Death is too good for them.

Wed, 17 Nov 2004 03:10:16 GMT
 resizing forms and controls

Quote:
> bah... don't buy one when there are hundreds of freebies available...
> about 40 on this site alone

> http://www.vbdiamond.com

Not a single one there as far as I can see.

Wed, 17 Nov 2004 04:42:38 GMT
 resizing forms and controls

Quote:

> > bah... don't buy one when there are hundreds of freebies available...
> > about 40 on this site alone

> > http://www.vbdiamond.com

> Not a single one there as far as I can see.

http://www.vbdiamond.com/Sources/ViewSource.asp?ID=14866
http://www.vbdiamond.com/Sources/ViewSource.asp?ID=15764
http://www.vbdiamond.com/Sources/ViewSource.asp?ID=16163
http://www.vbdiamond.com/Sources/ViewSource.asp?ID=15247
http://www.vbdiamond.com/Sources/ViewSource.asp?ID=16357
http://www.vbdiamond.com/Sources/ViewSource.asp?ID=16603

... and that's just from the first results page (of four, apparently)

Yeah, sure, Ken exaggerated a little, asimple search for "resize"
returns 46 results, but some of those are commentary rather than
examples, and a few are examples of something else that the term
"resize" applies to.  If I cared to search exhaustively, I'd bet
the total would be more like 25.

        Bob
--
"there are none so blind as those who WILL not see"

Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:26:48 GMT
 resizing forms and controls

Quote:

>> > bah... don't buy one when there are hundreds of freebies available...
>> > about 40 on this site alone

>> > http://www.vbdiamond.com

>> Not a single one there as far as I can see.

> http://www.vbdiamond.com/Sources/ViewSource.asp?ID=14866

"This class will automatically resize all controls on a form when the form
is resized, like the VideoSoft Elastic control.Please refer to the comments
within the code before using."

Not when the text size or font changes...

Quote:
> http://www.vbdiamond.com/Sources/ViewSource.asp?ID=15764
> http://www.vbdiamond.com/Sources/ViewSource.asp?ID=16163

" A simple resize class which will resize all your controls on the form
with 2 function calls. The class will also resize the cells of an
MSFlexGrid class.Steps:1.declare new class instance dim ResizeForm as new
Resize 2.in the form load get the initial size ResizeForm.Resize_Initilize
Me the Me paramter is the form it self 3.in the form resize event call the
Size_Changed ResizeForm.Size_Changed MeYou must add a reference the the
MSFlexGrid control to any project that uses this class, or remove the part
of the code that references MSFlexGrid."

Bot when the text size or font changes...

Quote:
> http://www.vbdiamond.com/Sources/ViewSource.asp?ID=15247

"This module allows you to subclass a Form so that you can restrict that
forms ability to resize to cirtian dimensions. The source code is not very
well commented but is still very easy to understand."

Doesnt resize a form at all

And so it goes....

Quote:
> http://www.vbdiamond.com/Sources/ViewSource.asp?ID=16357
> http://www.vbdiamond.com/Sources/ViewSource.asp?ID=16603

> ... and that's just from the first results page (of four, apparently)

> Yeah, sure, Ken exaggerated a little, asimple search for "resize"
> returns 46 results, but some of those are commentary rather than
> examples, and a few are examples of something else that the term
> "resize" applies to.  If I cared to search exhaustively, I'd bet
> the total would be more like 25.

Zero hits sofar...........

Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:52:26 GMT

1. Resize form - resize controls

2. Correction: Resize form - resize controls

3. Resizing forms and controls

4. resizing forms and controls

5. Resize form AND controls at once.

6. Help with resizing forms/stretching controls

7. Resizing forms and controls...

8. How to globally resize forms and controls easily?

9. Resizing Forms and Controls

10. resizing forms and controls

11. How to resize forms and controls in Visual Basic

12. Resizing forms and controls