Dataenvironment crashes a LOT
Author Message
 Dataenvironment crashes a LOT

While I've been developing for several years, I'm just now getting into VB6
and ADO.

Rather than code from scratch, I'm trying to use the Data Environment
Designer to create the connections I need for several forms I'm putting
together.  All of the forms have parent/child relationships.  The first few
I do work fine, but I always get to a point (not always the same one) where
the DE designer crashes with an ILLEGAL OPERATION error which references the
KERNEL32 file.  Nice, huh?

When I try to reload the DSR - and sometimes the project - file, VB6 crashes
after loading a few objects.

Any suggestions?  Rather than hard-code everything, I'm just trying to let
VB's tools do the connections.  If I need to can this idea, please refer me
to any online tutorials you may know about.  Currently, I'm tying to an
Access97 database, but the final project will be tied to Oracle8.

Thanks in advance!
-- Gerry

* BCS Engineering in Ramona, California
* IM:GerryWhite   ICQ:15205810
* http://www.*-*-*.com/
* Comments may not be those of my employer, or wife...

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Dataenvironment crashes a LOT
Gerry,

One suggestion: Don't use it! Code your connections through ADO and leave
the DA alone. Not worth the pain.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please post/reply to the

Klaus H. Probst
http://www.vbbox.com/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
> While I've been developing for several years, I'm just now getting into
VB6
> and ADO.

> Rather than code from scratch, I'm trying to use the Data Environment
> Designer to create the connections I need for several forms I'm putting
> together.  All of the forms have parent/child relationships.  The first
few
> I do work fine, but I always get to a point (not always the same one)
where
> the DE designer crashes with an ILLEGAL OPERATION error which references
the
> KERNEL32 file.  Nice, huh?

> When I try to reload the DSR - and sometimes the project - file, VB6
crashes
> after loading a few objects.

> Any suggestions?  Rather than hard-code everything, I'm just trying to let
> VB's tools do the connections.  If I need to can this idea, please refer
me
> to any online tutorials you may know about.  Currently, I'm tying to an
> Access97 database, but the final project will be tied to Oracle8.

> Thanks in advance!
> -- Gerry

> * BCS Engineering in Ramona, California
> * IM:GerryWhite   ICQ:15205810
> * http://come.to/The.White.House
> * Comments may not be those of my employer, or wife...

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Dataenvironment crashes a LOT

Quote:

>Rather than code from scratch, I'm trying to use the Data Environment
>Designer to create the connections I need for several forms I'm putting
>together.  All of the forms have parent/child relationships.  The first few
>I do work fine, but I always get to a point (not always the same one) where
>the DE designer crashes with an ILLEGAL OPERATION error which references
the
>KERNEL32 file.  Nice, huh?

Make sure you have the service packs installed. This seems to help with
random crashes when using the Data Environment. Also, some things just don't
seem to work quite right in spite of the fixes. If this happens in your
case, you'll be better off programming straight to ADO to avoid the DE
problems.

Frank Carr

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Dataenvironment crashes a LOT

Quote:

> Rather than code from scratch, I'm trying to use the Data Environment
> Designer to create the connections I need for several forms I'm putting
> together.  All of the forms have parent/child relationships.  The first few
> I do work fine, but I always get to a point (not always the same one) where
> the DE designer crashes with an ILLEGAL OPERATION error which references the
> KERNEL32 file.  Nice, huh?

  Ah yes, at first I blamed myself - but as others have confirmed, this
turns out to be a feature of the Data Environment.  Just another little
something to keep us all looking forward to SP4.
--
Jim in Cleveland
If you're writing to me, in my address

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?"
     - Nick Lowe

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Dataenvironment crashes a LOT
I wouldn't throw it away entirely. It makes a really good SHAPE syntax
generator (but even that code needs to be tweaked for best performance) and
you can always use the immediate window to get the connection string from
the connection object (e.g. ?
DataEnvironment1.Connections(1).ConnectionString or some such property).

Colin

Quote:
> Gerry,

> One suggestion: Don't use it! Code your connections through ADO and leave
> the DA alone. Not worth the pain.

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please post/reply to the
> newsgroup(s)

> Klaus H. Probst
> http://www.vbbox.com/
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> > While I've been developing for several years, I'm just now getting into
> VB6
> > and ADO.

> > Rather than code from scratch, I'm trying to use the Data Environment
> > Designer to create the connections I need for several forms I'm putting
> > together.  All of the forms have parent/child relationships.  The first
> few
> > I do work fine, but I always get to a point (not always the same one)
> where
> > the DE designer crashes with an ILLEGAL OPERATION error which references
> the
> > KERNEL32 file.  Nice, huh?

> > When I try to reload the DSR - and sometimes the project - file, VB6
> crashes
> > after loading a few objects.

> > Any suggestions?  Rather than hard-code everything, I'm just trying to
let
> > VB's tools do the connections.  If I need to can this idea, please refer
> me
> > to any online tutorials you may know about.  Currently, I'm tying to an
> > Access97 database, but the final project will be tied to Oracle8.

> > Thanks in advance!
> > -- Gerry

> > * BCS Engineering in Ramona, California
> > * IM:GerryWhite   ICQ:15205810
> > * http://come.to/The.White.House
> > * Comments may not be those of my employer, or wife...

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Dataenvironment crashes a LOT
Colin,

Yeah, maybe for testing and prototyping purposes it serves a good purpose,
just like Access used to do with DAO. But IMO that's just about it.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please post/reply to the

Klaus H. Probst
http://www.vbbox.com/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
> I wouldn't throw it away entirely. It makes a really good SHAPE syntax
> generator (but even that code needs to be tweaked for best performance)
and
> you can always use the immediate window to get the connection string from
> the connection object (e.g. ?
> DataEnvironment1.Connections(1).ConnectionString or some such property).

> Colin

> > Gerry,

> > One suggestion: Don't use it! Code your connections through ADO and
leave
> > the DA alone. Not worth the pain.

> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Please post/reply to the
> > newsgroup(s)

> > Klaus H. Probst
> > http://www.vbbox.com/
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> > > While I've been developing for several years, I'm just now getting
into
> > VB6
> > > and ADO.

> > > Rather than code from scratch, I'm trying to use the Data Environment
> > > Designer to create the connections I need for several forms I'm
putting
> > > together.  All of the forms have parent/child relationships.  The
first
> > few
> > > I do work fine, but I always get to a point (not always the same one)
> > where
> > > the DE designer crashes with an ILLEGAL OPERATION error which
references
> > the
> > > KERNEL32 file.  Nice, huh?

> > > When I try to reload the DSR - and sometimes the project - file, VB6
> > crashes
> > > after loading a few objects.

> > > Any suggestions?  Rather than hard-code everything, I'm just trying to
> let
> > > VB's tools do the connections.  If I need to can this idea, please
refer
> > me
> > > to any online tutorials you may know about.  Currently, I'm tying to
an
> > > Access97 database, but the final project will be tied to Oracle8.

> > > Thanks in advance!
> > > -- Gerry
> > > ************************************************

> > > * BCS Engineering in Ramona, California
> > > * IM:GerryWhite   ICQ:15205810
> > > * http://come.to/The.White.House
> > > * Comments may not be those of my employer, or wife...
> > > ************************************************

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Dataenvironment crashes a LOT

Quote:
> While I've been developing for several years, I'm just now getting into
VB6
> and ADO.

> Rather than code from scratch, I'm trying to use the Data Environment
> Designer to create the connections I need for several forms I'm putting
> together.  All of the forms have parent/child relationships.  The first
few
> I do work fine, but I always get to a point (not always the same one)
where
> the DE designer crashes with an ILLEGAL OPERATION error which references
the
> KERNEL32 file.  Nice, huh?

Running SP3 here and I still get crashes due to Data Reports or Data
Environment.  The best workaround I've found so far is being sure to save
all files in the project before trying F5 or Ctrl-F5.  When getting prompted
to save files, I seem to crash.

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Dataenvironment crashes a LOT

Quote:

> [...] All of the forms have parent/child relationships.  The first few
> I do work fine, but I always get to a point (not always the same one) where
> the DE designer crashes with an ILLEGAL OPERATION error which references the
> KERNEL32 file.  Nice, huh?

> When I try to reload the DSR - and sometimes the project - file, VB6 crashes
> after loading a few objects.

If you put some debug statements into DataEnvironment_Initialize,
DataEnvironment_Terminate, YourConnection_Disconnect,
YourConnection_WillConnect you may find some interesting things. Most
importantly, the DataEnvironment doesn't always get a close event. You
might want to see when your recordsets get terminate events, too. You
might be surprised.

AFAICT it's a problem in the VB garbage collector, not the
DataEnvironment. You may have wondered why DOW code bothers setting stuff
to Nothing, well now you know; but it doesn't do the whole job. I've got a
working style guide now, but I don't have it documented for public
consumption yet, so don't bother e-mailing and asking for it.

--

Fred Morris

address

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Dataenvironment crashes a LOT
Thanks for all the great comments.  I guess this is where I say "I'm off to
learn how to hard-code ADO goodies."  Nuts...  I've been spoiled by my
Visual Foxpro background.  I won't say it didn't crash, but it didn't in the
middle of using a tool or a wizard, anyway.

I appreciate all the help!

- Gerry

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Dataenvironment crashes a LOT
I want to reply here, also.

I started with VB5 for a few months and then immed got VB6, now SP3, and
started off with ADO and the de.
I came over from 14 years programming Paradox for DOS (started with ver 1.0
the first week it arrived in Computerland), vers 1.0-4.5, and Windows, vers
1.0-8.0, and had just started with Delphi vers 1.0-2.0.  With this VB
product, I have never seen any language that has been more difficult to
figure out than VB.  It takes a week to accomplish a simple task.  The IDE
is nowhere as good as Delphi.  The MSDN help sucks and most of the examples
have been removed.  Most of the time I DO NOT get good answers, or answers
at all, from the newsgroups, and there seems to be very little activity on
Compuserve, in VB.

But, I need VB for its market demand, otherwise I would use Delphi.  I hope
you do not experience the same simple problems that I have.

Regarding the de, Everything worked well for a few months and I was into an
app with purely the de to set up my forms.  I love the idea of  the de and
would use it all the time if I could rely on it.

Then one day, a form with txtbox fields, that was working for months,
suddenly had all its fields go blank.  I didn't really change anything.  I
did get a connection error that day, and tried refreshing the connection,
which didn't work, so I also made a new connection.  Since that time, all
the fields have remained blank.  I finally had to code the field bindings,
every field.  At about the same time, I had problems binding a datagrid, and
only resolved that with ADO and it took about 2 weeks to solve one grid with
blank data.

So, I have also junked the de.  It is still connected to about 5 maintenance
tables with simple grids, and they are still ok.  If they do go blank on me,
I am going to delete the de alltogether.  I'm not setting up any new forms
with de binding.  I do use the reports and have not had any problem with
them yet.

Michael

Quote:
> While I've been developing for several years, I'm just now getting into
VB6
> and ADO.

> Rather than code from scratch, I'm trying to use the Data Environment
> Designer to create the connections I need for several forms I'm putting
> together.  All of the forms have parent/child relationships.  The first
few
> I do work fine, but I always get to a point (not always the same one)
where
> the DE designer crashes with an ILLEGAL OPERATION error which references
the
> KERNEL32 file.  Nice, huh?

Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Dataenvironment crashes a LOT

2. Dataenvironment crashes a LOT

3. VB5 crashes a lot ??

4. Creating (a lot of) MDIChild forms crashes VB

5. Sir-Crash-A-Lot Needs an IDE safety net

6. DataEnvironment crashes VB 6.0

7. adding lots and lots of pictures to the executable

8. Lots and Lots of Controls slow things down....

9. Help: Adding DataEnvironment Child Command Screws Up DataEnvironment

10. Help: Adding DataEnvironment Child Command Screws Up DataEnvironment

11. Help on Crashing Application (DLL Crash)

12. SP5 crashes - way to get enhancements without crashes??