From VB 6 to VB 5 would not work
Author Message
 From VB 6 to VB 5 would not work

After installing VB 6.0, I opened my files that was created from VB 5.0 and
it run perfectly. But running it again in VB 5.0 would not let me do it. I
get an error message saying 'Retained' is an invalid key. The file
c:\Myfile.vbp' cannot be loaded. So how do I solve this. Please help!

Jonathan Zaldivar

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 From VB 6 to VB 5 would not work
Open the vbp in Notepad, move to the bottom of the text - there should be a
line which says retained = 1 (or something like it). Delete this line and
try to open the vbp in vb5 again

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 From VB 6 to VB 5 would not work
Opn the VBP file in an editor, go to the bottom of the file, and near the
bottom you will see a line saying "Retained=something"
Delete this line, save the VBP file, close it and open in VB5.
Quote:

>After installing VB 6.0, I opened my files that was created from VB 5.0 and
>it run perfectly. But running it again in VB 5.0 would not let me do it. I
>get an error message saying 'Retained' is an invalid key. The file
>c:\Myfile.vbp' cannot be loaded. So how do I solve this. Please help!

>Jonathan Zaldivar

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 From VB 6 to VB 5 would not work

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 From VB 6 to VB 5 would not work
Hello everybody, I want to post up some questions about the programming on
Visual Basic. Right now I am doing a project using Visual Basic 6.0 but I am
facing with some problems and cannot solve them, so if possible, someone please
help me out or give me some hints for solving them.

The first problem is on my project, I need to Visual Basic to call a .exe file
and then open another file for viewing.  The situation is I need to know the
path or directory for the acobrat reader .exe file in any computer in order to
view some .pdf files that I created. My question is how can I write the code to
search the path or the full directory name for the file name "acrord32.exe" ??
.. after that how can I use the "acrord32.exe" file to view the .pdf files that
I created??? ... I really have no idea how to solve this problem.  Please if
anyone knows for the solution, either reply me to my e-mail account

very often.

Another problem is I need to generate the report from Visual Basic 6.0 and I
know that using Crystal Report is the best way to do that but on my version of
visual basic, there is no such component, I want to know if the crystal report
component is an add-in component need to purchase seperately or just included
with the Visual Basic 6.0 ??

Thanks for your help

Michael

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 From VB 6 to VB 5 would not work
This message did not start a new thread, although it has a new header. It's
attached to an existing, unrelated thread. Also, it will help you get a
better response if the subject or header specifically describes the problem
you are having. Some people use the header to screen the messages they read.
How about "Running Acrobat Reader from VB"?

Peter Mundy

Quote:

>Hello everybody, I want to post up some questions about the programming on
>Visual Basic. Right now I am doing a project using Visual Basic 6.0 but I
am
>facing with some problems and cannot solve them, so if possible, someone
please
>help me out or give me some hints for solving them.

>The first problem is on my project, I need to Visual Basic to call a .exe
file
>and then open another file for viewing.  The situation is I need to know
the
>path or directory for the acobrat reader .exe file in any computer in order
>view some .pdf files that I created. My question is how can I write the
code to
>search the path or the full directory name for the file name "acrord32.exe"
??
>.. after that how can I use the "acrord32.exe" file to view the .pdf files
that
>I created??? ... I really have no idea how to solve this problem.  Please
if
>anyone knows for the solution, either reply me to my e-mail account

check it
>very often.

>Another problem is I need to generate the report from Visual Basic 6.0 and
>know that using Crystal Report is the best way to do that but on my version
of
>visual basic, there is no such component, I want to know if the crystal
report
>component is an add-in component need to purchase seperately or just
included
>with the Visual Basic 6.0 ??

>Thanks for your help

>Michael

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 From VB 6 to VB 5 would not work
Quote:
> The first problem is on my project, I need to Visual Basic to call a .exe

file
{snip: Running Acrobat}

Quote:

check it
> very often.

There may be a way to get the directory out of the registry.  I am not sure
about that.  However, I know that you can use the API FindFirstFile and
other related functions.  If you are not sure what I am talking about, get
Dan Appleman's Guide to the Windows API.

Quote:
> Another problem is I need to generate the report from Visual Basic 6.0

and I
{snip: Use Crystal Reports}

Quote:
> with the Visual Basic 6.0 ??

You need to take a VB course or buy a book to self tutor.  This will make
your life easier, but to answer your question you can add controls by going
to Components under the Project menu item and select components to add.

Also, as another person stated, make sure you give newsgroup postings
unique, descriptive titles.  This will greatly increase your chance of
getting a response.  I know people at work that filter all messages with
the words "Help" or "Please" in the title because they assume they'll be
newbies.  I don't agree with that, but it happens.

One more thing, be careful cross-posting to many unrelated newsgroups.  For
example, you posted this to "vb.bugs" and "vb.databases", how is this
related to that?  You will only hurt your chances of getting a response by
doing this.  I know people that kill any messages posted to more than 3
groups.

--
Shawn Brock

Quote:

> Thanks for your help

> Michael

Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 From VB 6 to VB 5 would not work

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 From VB 6 to VB 5 would not work

Quote:

>After installing VB 6.0, I opened my files that was created from VB 5.0 and
>it run perfectly. But running it again in VB 5.0 would not let me do it. I
>get an error message saying 'Retained' is an invalid key. The file
>c:\Myfile.vbp' cannot be loaded. So how do I solve this. Please help!

>Jonathan Zaldivar

>when you open project with vb6, the project file ?.vbp change with new

version of vb
vbp file contains project name, forms name, components name ect. you have 2
way to solve this problem
1- you can find a old one of projectname.vbp file old project file dosent be
problem if some forms which are created new not in the project you can add
them again but if the components which is using from forms is not in the
project you must add them in the project manually
2- you can create empty project in the vb5 and add the forms,modules but
dont forget the adding component which are using in the forms
Quote:

>kaan kasapoglu

Sat, 18 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 From VB 6 to VB 5 would not work

Quote:
>2 ways to solve this problem
>1- you can find a old one of projectname.vbp file old project file dosent
be
>problem if some forms which are created new not in the project you can add
>them again but if the components which is using from forms is not in the
>project you must add them in the project manually
>2- you can create empty project in the vb5 and add the forms,modules but
>dont forget the adding component which are using in the forms

or

3 open the vbp file in notepad and delete the 'retained' key (and anything
else you don't like the look of)

Sat, 18 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. From VB 6 to VB 5 would not work

2. vb MSCOMM Control works in VB 5 and not VB 6

3. ActiveX not working with MSAccess97, works with VB

4. OpenFile Not work in exe but works in VB run

5. SQL string not works in VB and works in Access 2000

6. VB Code does not work under Windows 2000 PRO

7. VB expressions do not work properly in different installations of Access 97

8. VB Module not working in 7.0

9. Eventhandler for an addin created in vb.net for Outlook 2002 not working

10. VB not working???

11. Form.show not working on VB

12. vb .net validating event does not work properly