SQL login ID versus user ID
Author Message
 SQL login ID versus user ID

Hello.  I'm writing a VB DLL that's making a connection (using ADO) to a SQL
Server 7 database.  My book explains that a login ID allows connection to
the SQL Server and nothing else.  It explains that the user ID (if
different) allows connection to the database and nothing else.  So, my
question, is ....  If I want to use a different user ID than the system ID,
how do I make my ADO connection string?

All the references to connection string syntax just show one user name and
password instead of allowing both to go on the same line.   For instance,

Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
strConn = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=False;User
ID=whatever;Initial Catalog=Database;Data Source=ServerName"
objconn.Open strConn

So, is the above User ID referring to the SQL Server login ID or the
database user ID?  And then where do I put the other (different) user name
and password?

Sat, 16 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Disabling Outlook 2000 Menu Items - Finding Control ID, IDs, ID's

2. User Login ID with NetWare

3. Detecting Users Login Id

4. Determining login user ID

5. Getting Netware Login User Id under NT

6. Getting login user ID

7. Finding user login ID on Netware 3.11

8. User login ID on a Banyan Vines LAN

9. Full user name from NT login ID

10. Determining the existence of a Microsoft SQL Server Login Id

11. Determining the existence of a Microsoft SQL Server Login Id

12. Determining the existence of a Microsoft SQL Server Login Id