OLE DB, ODBC, Connection string with ADO - which one to use?
Author Message
 OLE DB, ODBC, Connection string with ADO - which one to use?

Using VB6 enterprise,  with ADO and an Oracle 7.3 database

There seems to be 3 choices to be able to connect to the Oracle database! - I've experimented with
an OLE DB file & an ODBC DSN - they both seem to be as fast as each other!

What I can't fathom out is which one I should use?

 I know OLD DB is the newer one but why should I use it instead of ODBC?

What are the advantages/disavantages of them?

Any ideas

Thanks in advance

Adrian Harrison

Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 OLE DB, ODBC, Connection string with ADO - which one to use?
[This followup was posted to microsoft.public.vb.enterprise and a copy
was sent to the cited author.]

Quote:
> Using VB6 enterprise,  with ADO and an Oracle 7.3 database

> There seems to be 3 choices to be able to connect to the Oracle database! - I've experimented with
> an OLE DB file & an ODBC DSN - they both seem to be as fast as each other!

> What I can't fathom out is which one I should use?

>  I know OLD DB is the newer one but why should I use it instead of ODBC?

> What are the advantages/disavantages of them?

> Any ideas

> Thanks in advance

> Adrian Harrison

Hello,

I started working with ADO for a short time. I have to access an Oracle 8
database. So I first tried with ODBC and then with ADO. The main
difference is the time: With ODBC, all the result is transferred to the
client machine, but with ADO (as well as the others) the results are by
default on the server. You just gain a lot of time with queries.

ADO has a native access method for Oracle databases, so it goes faster
than with the ODBC driver.

--
Wanna thank me? Sign my GuestBook!
HomePage: http://home.tvd.be/ws36009

Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 OLE DB, ODBC, Connection string with ADO - which one to use?
I havent found a way to perform Updates aginst my data using the Native OLE
DB provider for Oracle. It lets me get data, and browse it just fine, but
won't let me update.

Maybe im doing something wrong, if youve gotten it to update, let me know
please.

--

Aaron

Quote:
>Using VB6 enterprise,  with ADO and an Oracle 7.3 database

>There seems to be 3 choices to be able to connect to the Oracle database! -

I've experimented with
Quote:
>an OLE DB file & an ODBC DSN - they both seem to be as fast as each other!

>What I can't fathom out is which one I should use?

> I know OLD DB is the newer one but why should I use it instead of ODBC?

>What are the advantages/disavantages of them?

>Any ideas

>Thanks in advance

>Adrian Harrison

Sun, 29 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 OLE DB, ODBC, Connection string with ADO - which one to use?
Try the Oracle OLE objects.  Syntax is simple and easy to update.
(the MS "Native OLE DB" is just a cover for ODBC in another sheep's
clothing - you probably don't have a primarykey defined on the table or you
are trying to edit a view and th "Native OLE DB" doesn't know what to do.)
Jim

Quote:

>I havent found a way to perform Updates aginst my data using the Native OLE
>DB provider for Oracle. It lets me get data, and browse it just fine, but
>won't let me update.

>Maybe im doing something wrong, if youve gotten it to update, let me know
>please.

>--

>Aaron

>>Using VB6 enterprise,  with ADO and an Oracle 7.3 database

>>There seems to be 3 choices to be able to connect to the Oracle
database! -
>I've experimented with
>>an OLE DB file & an ODBC DSN - they both seem to be as fast as each other!

>>What I can't fathom out is which one I should use?

>> I know OLD DB is the newer one but why should I use it instead of ODBC?

>>What are the advantages/disavantages of them?

>>Any ideas

>>Thanks in advance

>>Adrian Harrison

Mon, 30 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. ADO uses login ID of windows not the one in the connection string

2. OLE DB, ODBC, Connection string with ADO - which one to use?

3. OLE DB, ODBC, Connection string with ADO - which one to use?

4. ODBC Connection Pooling Vs OLE DB Resource Pooling

5. ODBC Connection Pooling Vs OLE DB Resource Pooling

6. REQ: Feasible Informix OLE DB Connection String

7. OLE DB connection string

8. REQ: Feasible Informix OLE DB Connection String

9. OLE DB and connections strings

10. REQ: Feasible Informix OLE DB Connection String

11. ole db connection string - quoted identifier

12. OLE DB and connections strings