Why Use dbList instead of msFlexGrid?
Author Message
 Why Use dbList instead of msFlexGrid?

As a VB 5 beginner, I'd been playing around with dbList and the
regular list.

Now I've discovered msFlexGrid.

Seems like FlexGrid will do anything that either of the lists will do
plus more - all with a finer degree of control.

So, having limited grey matter available to squander on different
control behaviors, it seems logical for me to use msFlexGrid always -
to the exclusion of the two list controls.

Am I missing something?

Anybody?
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

Thu, 18 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Why Use dbList instead of msFlexGrid?

Quote:

> As a VB 5 beginner, I'd been playing around with dbList and the
> regular list.

> Now I've discovered msFlexGrid.

> Seems like FlexGrid will do anything that either of the lists will do
> plus more - all with a finer degree of control.

> So, having limited grey matter available to squander on different
> control behaviors, it seems logical for me to use msFlexGrid always -
> to the exclusion of the two list controls.

> Am I missing something?

> Anybody?
> -----------------------
> Pete Cresswell

The choice is not normally between FlexGrid and list boxes. You
can use FlexGrid in lieu of either , of course, but it's kind of
like using a hammer to swat a fly. Normally, the choice is between
DBGrid and FlexGrid. FlexGrid has some capabilities that DBGrid
does not, but DBGrid has properties (i.e.,HeadClick Event) that
FlexGrid does not. Also DBGrid is editable without code. You
might wish to run a little experiment though. On a form load
event build a control array of 30 FlexGrid Objects; on another
form, do the same except use list boxes. You may see (depending
on your machine) a very large time difference. This is  a
consideration when selecting which control to use. In addition,
if you use any OCX in your project you will need to include it in
distribution. Very often , OCX's are a sensible choice when
building a project, for reasons of function or appearance, but
they do carry with them some (occasionally) unwanted baggage.

Sat, 20 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Why Use dbList instead of msFlexGrid?

Quote:
>The choice is not normally between FlexGrid and list boxes. You
>can use FlexGrid in lieu of either , of course, but it's kind of
>like using a hammer to swat a fly.

I see what you mean.

Tried running a FlexGrid against a dbList for 2 columns/20,800 records
and got refresh times of 4.3 seconds for the Flex and 1.4 seconds for
the dbList (using  snapshots).

When I tried  dynasets, times dropped to 3.3 and .01 seconds...

With only 5,000 recs, Flex dropped to .55 seconds...but then the DB
list box was almost instantaneous..

It's plain that extra FlexGrid functionality does, as you point out,
cost...

Thanks for the elucidation.
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

Mon, 22 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Why won't this work Dblist/ datacontrol?

2. Help! Why RTF instead of Plain Text

3. SortedList, Why Parenthesis instead of Brackets?

4. why javascript instead of vbscript?

5. ~Why should one use VB instead of DELHPI?

6. Why to use a TextBox instead of a RichTextBox

7. Why a picturebox instead of form

8. ~Why should one use VB instead of DELHPI?

9. Why Windows help file instead of HTTP?

10. Newbie: Why use Access instead of VB to create front end

11. why why why why

12. Why why why why?