Using VB6 over intranet to check/upload file components (Newbie)
Author Message
 Using VB6 over intranet to check/upload file components (Newbie)
Hi

I have a small shell application written in VB6 that uses Crystal RDC to
call Crystal Report 8 rpt files from a common path on the local drive (ie
they are not incorporated as dsrs).

At the time I release the shell app to about 250 sites in our organisation,
I will only be deploying 4 rpts with it.  The others will be completed later
and then deployed to the sites where I originally intended to use a winzip
self extractor to copy them to the common path.  They will then be called by
hard coded file references in the shell.

Distribution was originally intended by user initiated 'pull' through a
browser and our internal intranet.  ie User checks regularly for updated or
new rpt winzips on a web page, then clicks on link, downloads on an HTTP/TCP
call, then unzips the file for local installation.  With this in mind I have
redesigned the shell app using the browser wizard (think that's what it's
called) in VB6.  As things are now, you run a little browser in the app
using a command button in the shell.  THEN I GOT TO THINKING...

The skill levels of our users are not real high (eg even following the
method described in the preceding paragraph is fraught with danger!).  Why
not design the shell app so that it calls the intranet server directory
containing the rpt files as is (not zipped with paths in a winzip self exe)
every time it starts.  It compares the contents of the rpt directory on the
local drive with a best directory on the internet server.  Any that are new
rpts or of a later date version than the ones locally stored are downloaded
automatically.  A dialog is provided to the user to let them know when the
app is connecting, checking, disconnecting or downloading.

A bit about the topology - permanent TCP/IP connections to a secure
intranet.  Typical bandwidth permits transfer of a 250Kb rpt (average size -
some are a little smaller) within 1 minute.

A bit about me - have done a little socket programming in java/C at uni, but
by no means proficient in this or VB6.  No network socket programming with
VB6

Anyone out there have any idea where I can go for resources that would help
me with this.  I have access to MSDN disks - would there be enough there to
get me through?  Would I need to use Windows API to get me through this?

I would sincerely appreciate any ideas anyone out there might have.

John

PLEASE REMOVE 'REMOVE.FIRST.NO.SPAM.' IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO THE HOTMAIL
ADDRESS STAMPED ON THIS POST

Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:18:53 GMT
 Using VB6 over intranet to check/upload file components (Newbie)
D'oh - wrong usenet group - will repost to networks.

Sorry

John

Quote:
> [...]

> A bit about the topology - permanent TCP/IP connections to a secure
> intranet.  Typical bandwidth permits transfer of a 250Kb rpt (average
size -
> some are a little smaller) within 1 minute.

> A bit about me - have done a little socket programming in java/C at uni,
but
> by no means proficient in this or VB6.  No network socket programming with
> VB6

> Anyone out there have any idea where I can go for resources that would
help
> me with this.  I have access to MSDN disks - would there be enough there
> get me through?  Would I need to use Windows API to get me through this?

> I would sincerely appreciate any ideas anyone out there might have.

> John

> PLEASE REMOVE 'REMOVE.FIRST.NO.SPAM.' IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO THE HOTMAIL

Tue, 22 Apr 2003 07:39:47 GMT

1. Using VB6 over private intranet to check/upload file components (newbie)

2. Upload a file using vb6 to frontpage server?

3. Search Engine for the WEB (Intranet-IIS) - Using VB6

4. How to develope an Intranet Application using Vb6.0

5. file upload component

6. How to upload files without 3rd party components

7. WebBrowser Component in VB and File Uploading.

8. ASP Component - Uploading Files

9. How can I create a file UPLOAD component?

10. how do i create file UPLOAD component?

11. Using data from a CSV file in VB6 (newbie help)

12. site check / asp upload check please...