Wanted Some Info - AS FAST AS POSSIBLE
Author Message
 Wanted Some Info - AS FAST AS POSSIBLE

Hi Everybody,
This is a request to all of you. I need to develop an application which
shall be contained within a Web Browser instead of a MDI form.
Till date we have been pretty well conversant with the two-tier structure
and web based development is a relatively new area for us.
Though we have worked on web-sites and stuff, we have never really  gone
this deep into web-based development.

Lets say I wish to create a simple application which will have some masters
and a  few transactions. This application will use third-party controls and
also use other containers like Microsoft Word, Excel etc. Will it be
possible to develop such an application using Visual Basic?
What other software will be required? How do I go about developing some sort
of demonstration to the user? Does anyone know the
requirements in terms of software/hardware for this type  of application?

We already have a server which has the Oracle Server running on Windows NT.
What other things would be required? Does one need
to know ASP and VB SCRIPT to develop this app? Or is plain Visual  Basic
Good enough? What sort of human resources should be deploy
for this application?

Thanks in advance,
Abhijit

Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Wanted Some Info - AS FAST AS POSSIBLE

Quote:
> Hi Everybody,
> This is a request to all of you. I need to develop an application which
> shall be contained within a Web Browser instead of a MDI form.
> Till date we have been pretty well conversant with the two-tier structure
> and web based development is a relatively new area for us.
> Though we have worked on web-sites and stuff, we have never really  gone
> this deep into web-based development.

> Lets say I wish to create a simple application which will have some masters
> and a  few transactions. This application will use third-party controls and
> also use other containers like Microsoft Word, Excel etc. Will it be
> possible to develop such an application using Visual Basic?
> What other software will be required? How do I go about developing some sort
> of demonstration to the user? Does anyone know the
> requirements in terms of software/hardware for this type  of application?

> We already have a server which has the Oracle Server running on Windows NT.
> What other things would be required? Does one need
> to know ASP and VB SCRIPT to develop this app? Or is plain Visual  Basic
> Good enough? What sort of human resources should be deploy
> for this application?

I'm not too sure exactly what you want to create, is it an application that
works across the web, or is it an application that just reuses browser
technology - Something which works very eaily, you can make extremely
powerful/attractive apps much quicker re-using browser tech. Than creating
them in VB or some such.

However as this is an ASP group I will assume its the former whereby you are
creating a true web application.  This can be written in VB, but I do believe
it would be simpler to do it using ASP, especially as VBScript is so similar
to VB, there shouldn't be an awful lot of learning for you to get used to the
technology.

AS to the other questions, it really depends on the application itself, as
with all things there are a million and one ways to achieve something, and
pinning the "best" one down depends on the exact situation, you'd have to be
more specific on your requirements I'd've thought.

Jim.

Mon, 22 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Wanted Some Info - AS FAST AS POSSIBLE
Hey Jim
Thanks for answering.
Okay what  I need to do is create an application which can be used by anyone
across the Internet, depending upon his  or her user rights.
So that is why I need to use the browser as the container. I also need to
get familiarized with cookie technology.
Do you know of any good books?
Thanks
Abhijit

Quote:

> > Hi Everybody,
> > This is a request to all of you. I need to develop an application which
> > shall be contained within a Web Browser instead of a MDI form.
> > Till date we have been pretty well conversant with the two-tier
structure
> > and web based development is a relatively new area for us.
> > Though we have worked on web-sites and stuff, we have never really  gone
> > this deep into web-based development.

> > Lets say I wish to create a simple application which will have some
masters
> > and a  few transactions. This application will use third-party controls
and
> > also use other containers like Microsoft Word, Excel etc. Will it be
> > possible to develop such an application using Visual Basic?
> > What other software will be required? How do I go about developing some
sort
> > of demonstration to the user? Does anyone know the
> > requirements in terms of software/hardware for this type  of
application?

> > We already have a server which has the Oracle Server running on Windows
NT.
> > What other things would be required? Does one need
> > to know ASP and VB SCRIPT to develop this app? Or is plain Visual  Basic
> > Good enough? What sort of human resources should be deploy
> > for this application?

> I'm not too sure exactly what you want to create, is it an application
that
> works across the web, or is it an application that just reuses browser
> technology - Something which works very eaily, you can make extremely
> powerful/attractive apps much quicker re-using browser tech. Than creating
> them in VB or some such.

> However as this is an ASP group I will assume its the former whereby you
are
> creating a true web application.  This can be written in VB, but I do
believe
> it would be simpler to do it using ASP, especially as VBScript is so
similar
> to VB, there shouldn't be an awful lot of learning for you to get used to
the
> technology.

> AS to the other questions, it really depends on the application itself, as
> with all things there are a million and one ways to achieve something, and
> pinning the "best" one down depends on the exact situation, you'd have to
be
> more specific on your requirements I'd've thought.

> Jim.

Thu, 25 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Wanted - Faster VB string operations

2. Fast Fourier Transforms Simple program wanted.

3. Fast text searching wanted

4. Wanted - Fast, ROBUST stand alone database for VB 3.0

5. Fast String QSort Wanted

6. Fast animation VBX / OCX wanted

7. Need some info on faster drawing in basic...

8. Hello Plz I want to help as fast as possible Visual Basic

9. VB4 - Is it possible to fast forward thur CD

10. How to find files as fast as possible

11. Fastest bitmap update as possible

12. JPEG to array, the fastest way possible