Webbrowser Control without IE
Author Message
 Webbrowser Control without IE

Hi all,

Please forgive me for the cross-post.

I'm working on a web-browser program, which uses the IE WebBrowser control.
It may be used by person's who do not have IE installed on their systems.
All the registry entries - as far as I know - have been provided for by my
program, as well as a fav's folder and history cache.

What else, if anything, needs to be accounted for for the control to work
properly on a comp without IE. (except for regsvr32 and all that), or will
it work properly.  I don't want the users of the program to have to install
IE before installing this program ... that would be ridiculous.

So, do I have any chance of this working?  And would anyone (without
Internet Explorer) be willing to do a beta-test?

Thanks In Advance,
Houston McClung III

Fri, 19 Sep 2003 01:14:01 GMT
 Webbrowser Control without IE
Hi Houston:

Quote:
> I'm working on a web-browser program, which uses the IE WebBrowser
control.
> It may be used by person's who do not have IE installed on their systems

AFIK, that is against licencing -- IE must be installed on the machine for
you to use the control.

Doug.

Fri, 19 Sep 2003 02:01:22 GMT
 Webbrowser Control without IE
Internet Explorer MUST be installed to use the WebBrowser control.  There
are simply no ifs, ands, or buts about it.  How can you expect to use IE
functionality if IE is not installed?

If users will not have IE already installed, you'll need to get a license
from Microsoft to distribute IE with your program, or you can instruct your
users to download IE directly from MS prior to installing/using your
program.  Those are your ONLY 2 choices if you want to use the WebBrowser
control.  Even the WebBrowser control itself (shdocvw.dll, a file that is a
core component of IE) is NOT redistributable.

On a personal note, it's not ridiculous.  Consider how tightly IE is tied to
Windows and the problems there would be if MS did not control distribution
of IE and its components as they do.  It would be a nightmare.

Mike

Quote:
> Hi all,

> Please forgive me for the cross-post.

> I'm working on a web-browser program, which uses the IE WebBrowser
control.
> It may be used by person's who do not have IE installed on their systems.
> All the registry entries - as far as I know - have been provided for by my
> program, as well as a fav's folder and history cache.

> What else, if anything, needs to be accounted for for the control to work
> properly on a comp without IE. (except for regsvr32 and all that), or will
> it work properly.  I don't want the users of the program to have to
install
> IE before installing this program ... that would be ridiculous.

> So, do I have any chance of this working?  And would anyone (without
> Internet Explorer) be willing to do a beta-test?

> Thanks In Advance,
> Houston McClung III

Fri, 19 Sep 2003 02:30:34 GMT
 Webbrowser Control without IE
As the other two have stated, you cannot use IE functionality without IE
being installed.  And if your users (or you) think that using all of the
functionality of IE without having to install IE is ridiculous, maybe they
(you) need to rethink what they are doing.

Do your users have any web browser (Netscape) installed?  If so, you can
just use the ShellExecute API per KB article Q224816.

So, knowing that your users have to have IE installed (if for nothing other
than licensing issues) keep in mind that you also cannot just download the
installation package for IE from the MS website and include it on your CD.
That also is against licensing agreements.  But you can obtain the IEAK
(Internet Explorer Administration Kit) that will allow you to create a
custom IE installation package for your users.  Go to
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ieak/en/default.asp for information about
the IEAK.

Kevin

--------------------

| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.inetsdk.programming.webbrowser_ctl,microsoft.public.vb.cont
rols,microsoft.public.vb.controls.internet
| Subject: Webbrowser Control without IE

| Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 17:14:01 GMT

| Hi all,
|
| Please forgive me for the cross-post.
|
| I'm working on a web-browser program, which uses the IE WebBrowser
control.
| It may be used by person's who do not have IE installed on their systems.
| All the registry entries - as far as I know - have been provided for by my
| program, as well as a fav's folder and history cache.
|
| What else, if anything, needs to be accounted for for the control to work
| properly on a comp without IE. (except for regsvr32 and all that), or will
| it work properly.  I don't want the users of the program to have to
install
| IE before installing this program ... that would be ridiculous.
|
| So, do I have any chance of this working?  And would anyone (without
| Internet Explorer) be willing to do a beta-test?
|
| Thanks In Advance,
| Houston McClung III

Sat, 20 Sep 2003 02:33:06 GMT
 Webbrowser Control without IE
Isn't IE always installed?  I thought you could only de-install the icon on
the desktop.

Quote:
> Hi Houston:

> > I'm working on a web-browser program, which uses the IE WebBrowser
> control.
> > It may be used by person's who do not have IE installed on their systems

> AFIK, that is against licencing -- IE must be installed on the machine for
> you to use the control.

> Doug.

Sat, 20 Sep 2003 05:55:52 GMT
 Webbrowser Control without IE
Good old Win95 doesn't have it installed by default, or it is optional,
don't remember which.
--
With best wishes,
    Igor Tandetnik

Quote:
> Isn't IE always installed?  I thought you could only de-install the icon
on
> the desktop.

> > Hi Houston:

> > > I'm working on a web-browser program, which uses the IE WebBrowser
> > control.
> > > It may be used by person's who do not have IE installed on their
systems

> > AFIK, that is against licencing -- IE must be installed on the machine
for
> > you to use the control.

> > Doug.

Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:10:16 GMT
 Webbrowser Control without IE
That was a really good operating system.

Quote:
> Good old Win95 doesn't have it installed by default, or it is optional,
> don't remember which.
> --
> With best wishes,
>     Igor Tandetnik

> > Isn't IE always installed?  I thought you could only de-install the icon
> on
> > the desktop.

> > > Hi Houston:

> > > control.
> systems

> > > AFIK, that is against licencing -- IE must be installed on the machine
> for
> > > you to use the control.

> > > Doug.

Sat, 20 Sep 2003 07:11:04 GMT
 Webbrowser Control without IE
Thanks guys.  I really appreciate the advice.  I didn't know there could be
a licensing issue.  Let me ask one more thing about it ... on a similiar
note, are there any licensing issues involved with distributing a component
with the executable, like if the setup wizard adds mscomctl32.ocx or
something like that to the setup.exe, or to a setup.zip (if for whatever
reason I'd need to do it), file?

Quote:
> Hi all,

> Please forgive me for the cross-post.

> I'm working on a web-browser program, which uses the IE WebBrowser
control.
> It may be used by person's who do not have IE installed on their systems.
> All the registry entries - as far as I know - have been provided for by my
> program, as well as a fav's folder and history cache.

> What else, if anything, needs to be accounted for for the control to work
> properly on a comp without IE. (except for regsvr32 and all that), or will
> it work properly.  I don't want the users of the program to have to
install
> IE before installing this program ... that would be ridiculous.

> So, do I have any chance of this working?  And would anyone (without
> Internet Explorer) be willing to do a beta-test?

> Thanks In Advance,
> Houston McClung III

Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:23:39 GMT
 Webbrowser Control without IE
The Package and Deployment Wizard will check the redist.txt file.  If it
adds a component to a package you are generally ok to distribute it.

Alternatively you could check the redist.txt file yourself for files you
can distribute.

Kevin

--------------------

| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.inetsdk.programming.webbrowser_ctl,microsoft.public.vb.cont
rols,microsoft.public.vb.controls.internet

| Subject: Re: Webbrowser Control without IE

| Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 03:23:39 GMT

| Thanks guys.  I really appreciate the advice.  I didn't know there could
be
| a licensing issue.  Let me ask one more thing about it ... on a similiar
| note, are there any licensing issues involved with distributing a
component
| with the executable, like if the setup wizard adds mscomctl32.ocx or
| something like that to the setup.exe, or to a setup.zip (if for whatever
| reason I'd need to do it), file?
|

| > Hi all,
| >
| > Please forgive me for the cross-post.
| >
| > I'm working on a web-browser program, which uses the IE WebBrowser
| control.
| > It may be used by person's who do not have IE installed on their
systems.
| > All the registry entries - as far as I know - have been provided for by
my
| > program, as well as a fav's folder and history cache.
| >
| > What else, if anything, needs to be accounted for for the control to
work
| > properly on a comp without IE. (except for regsvr32 and all that), or
will
| > it work properly.  I don't want the users of the program to have to
| install
| > IE before installing this program ... that would be ridiculous.
| >
| > So, do I have any chance of this working?  And would anyone (without
| > Internet Explorer) be willing to do a beta-test?
| >
| > Thanks In Advance,
| > Houston McClung III

Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:26:06 GMT

1. Webbrowser Control without IE

2. Webbrowser Internet Control without IE?

3. WebBrowser without WebBrowser Control in VB6 ?

4. IE IFrame/WebBrowser control cross-frame security breech

5. Webbrowser control problem with IE

6. Bug in the WebBrowser control with IE 5.5 (Urgent please O:-)

7. IE Favorites & WebBrowser Control

8. IE 3.0 WebBrowser control usage problems

9. Printing frames with IE 4.0 using WebBrowser Control

10. Webbrowser-control: no new IE-window

11. How Do I Stop History In IE WebBrowser Control

12. IE WebBrowser Control