BUG: VB6 Fails to debug VB-Made ActiveX control with external program on Windows2000\XP
Author Message
 BUG: VB6 Fails to debug VB-Made ActiveX control with external program on Windows2000\XP

Recently I encountered some difficulties debugging VB6 ActiveX control
(Base on UserControl) with external program using VB6 de{*filter*} on
Windows2000\XP
(which Works fine on Windows95\98 and even NT4)

Steps to Reproduce Behavior

1. Create new ActiveX Control project.

2. Drag any VB control to UserControl1 form.

3. From the "Debugging" tab on "Project Properties" select "Start program".

4. Specify TSTCON32.EXE or OLEVIEW.EXE (from Visual Studio Common Tools
folder)
   as the start program.

5. Select start from "Run" menu (The specified program from step 4 should
run).

6. Try to Insert the control "Project1.UserControl1" (TSTCON32.EXE) or
   Create Instance from the Control (OLEVIEW.EXE).

7. Notice that the external program failed to create the control with
   error code $80040154 [REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG]

Note:

1. The problem occur only on Windows2000\XP (95\98 AND NT4 works fine)

2. VB6 ActiveX DLL (Not Control) works fine on all platforms.

3. VB6 is rewriting the registry entry for the developed control with
   reference to VB6DEBUG.DLL.

There is any correction action?

Sat, 12 Feb 2005 04:11:45 GMT
 BUG: VB6 Fails to debug VB-Made ActiveX control with external program on Windows2000\XP

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 BUG: VB6 Fails to debug VB-Made ActiveX control with external program on Windows2000\XP
You can always create a project group..
Just load the control, click add project, add your exe test app, tell VB
that you want the test app to start first. Run.

--
Ken Halter - MS-MVP-VB - Please keep it in the groups..
http://www.*-*-*.com/ - http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
> Recently I encountered some difficulties debugging VB6 ActiveX control
> (Base on UserControl) with external program using VB6 de{*filter*} on
> Windows2000\XP
> (which Works fine on Windows95\98 and even NT4)

> Steps to Reproduce Behavior

> 1. Create new ActiveX Control project.

> 2. Drag any VB control to UserControl1 form.

> 3. From the "Debugging" tab on "Project Properties" select "Start
> program".

> 4. Specify TSTCON32.EXE or OLEVIEW.EXE (from Visual Studio Common
> Tools folder)
>    as the start program.

> 5. Select start from "Run" menu (The specified program from step 4
> should run).

> 6. Try to Insert the control "Project1.UserControl1" (TSTCON32.EXE) or
>    Create Instance from the Control (OLEVIEW.EXE).

> 7. Notice that the external program failed to create the control with
>    error code $80040154 [REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG]

> Note:

> 1. The problem occur only on Windows2000\XP (95\98 AND NT4 works fine)

> 2. VB6 ActiveX DLL (Not Control) works fine on all platforms.

> 3. VB6 is rewriting the registry entry for the developed control with
>    reference to VB6DEBUG.DLL.

> There is any correction action?

Sat, 12 Feb 2005 04:16:16 GMT
 BUG: VB6 Fails to debug VB-Made ActiveX control with external program on Windows2000\XP
The object is not registered???  I know VB does run-time
registreation but it may not be recognized as you might
desire it to be...

D.

Quote:
> Recently I encountered some difficulties debugging VB6 ActiveX control
> (Base on UserControl) with external program using VB6 de{*filter*} on
> Windows2000\XP
> (which Works fine on Windows95\98 and even NT4)

> Steps to Reproduce Behavior

> 1. Create new ActiveX Control project.

> 2. Drag any VB control to UserControl1 form.

> 3. From the "Debugging" tab on "Project Properties" select "Start
program".

> 4. Specify TSTCON32.EXE or OLEVIEW.EXE (from Visual Studio Common Tools
> folder)
>    as the start program.

> 5. Select start from "Run" menu (The specified program from step 4 should
> run).

> 6. Try to Insert the control "Project1.UserControl1" (TSTCON32.EXE) or
>    Create Instance from the Control (OLEVIEW.EXE).

> 7. Notice that the external program failed to create the control with
>    error code $80040154 [REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG]

> Note:

> 1. The problem occur only on Windows2000\XP (95\98 AND NT4 works fine)

> 2. VB6 ActiveX DLL (Not Control) works fine on all platforms.

> 3. VB6 is rewriting the registry entry for the developed control with
>    reference to VB6DEBUG.DLL.

> There is any correction action?

Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:10:03 GMT

1. Debug an VB6 ActiveX Control in windows 2000

2. Wrapping vb.NET Windows contol library dll as COM ActiveX control for use in VB6

3. VB6 Internal DLL Variable can not be set to external activex control in IE

4. 'shell'ing a external windows program withoud windows

5. Help - Cannot debug VB6.0 with VC++ ActiveX control

6. Debugging VB.net clients w/VB6 ActiveX projects

7. How to step in VB ActiveX Controls to debug under VB project

8. Making a VB program the Windows Shell

9. BUG REPORT - VB6 Enterprise looses ADO filters during OLE Client/Server debug

10. How to debug VB6 controls from VB.NET?

11. How do I make my VB program Run an external program

12. VB6 SP5 bug - Dataprojects failing to load