Secure ActiveX licensing?
Author Message
 Secure ActiveX licensing?

Hi,

I've developed an ActiveX control for encrypting text strings and am now
ready to distribute my application.  Is there a way to stop people from
using this ActiveX dll file in their applications or as soon as I've
distributed my software, is it out of my hands, so to speak?

--
Regards, James Brown
InfoComp Ltd

tel:  +44 (0) 191 384 7734

Tue, 01 Jun 2004 11:11:53 GMT
 Secure ActiveX licensing?
Personally I would not bother - but if you feel strongly then just
give your DLL a property that requires a specific string - otherwise
it does not work.

Sure these things can be cracked - but it is unlikely that anyone will
bother.

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 03:11:53 -0000, "James Brown \(InfoComp Ltd\)"

Quote:

>Hi,

>I've developed an ActiveX control for encrypting text strings and am now
>ready to distribute my application.  Is there a way to stop people from
>using this ActiveX dll file in their applications or as soon as I've
>distributed my software, is it out of my hands, so to speak?

>--
>Regards, James Brown
>InfoComp Ltd
>www.infocomp.co.uk

>tel:  +44 (0) 191 384 7734

Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:33:24 GMT
 Secure ActiveX licensing?
Thanks - thats great!

--
Regards, James Brown
InfoComp Ltd

tel:  +44 (0) 191 384 7734

> Personally I would not bother - but if you feel strongly then just
> give your DLL a property that requires a specific string - otherwise
> it does not work.

> Sure these things can be cracked - but it is unlikely that anyone will
> bother.

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 03:11:53 -0000, "James Brown \(InfoComp Ltd\)"

> >Hi,

> >I've developed an ActiveX control for encrypting text strings and am now
> >ready to distribute my application.  Is there a way to stop people from
> >using this ActiveX dll file in their applications or as soon as I've
> >distributed my software, is it out of my hands, so to speak?

> >--
> >Regards, James Brown
> >--------------------------------------------------------
> >InfoComp Ltd
> >www.infocomp.co.uk

> >tel:  +44 (0) 191 384 7734
> >--------------------------------------------------------

Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:54:56 GMT
 Secure ActiveX licensing?
To expand on Jerry's suggestion, checking the property within the
ActiveX's code by using the ascii instead of a string may make it
harder to crack.  Ie.  If property = Chr$(104) & Chr$(101) & Chr$(108)
& Chr$(108) & Chr$(111)... (same as If property = "hello").  Or maybe
use a higher ascii combination.  Ie. Chr$(175) & Chr$(157) &
Chr$(219), etc.
Quote:

> Personally I would not bother - but if you feel strongly then just
> give your DLL a property that requires a specific string - otherwise
> it does not work.

> Sure these things can be cracked - but it is unlikely that anyone will
> bother.

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 03:11:53 -0000, "James Brown \(InfoComp Ltd\)"

> >Hi,

> >I've developed an ActiveX control for encrypting text strings and am now
> >ready to distribute my application.  Is there a way to stop people from
> >using this ActiveX dll file in their applications or as soon as I've
> >distributed my software, is it out of my hands, so to speak?

> >--
> >Regards, James Brown
> >--------------------------------------------------------
> >InfoComp Ltd
> >www.infocomp.co.uk

> >tel:  +44 (0) 191 384 7734
> >--------------------------------------------------------

Wed, 02 Jun 2004 01:53:25 GMT

1. license not found: you do not have a license to use this activeX object

2. Licensing ActiveX and ActiveX DLL

3. Embedding licensed ActiveX Controls within a VB ActiveX Control

4. Licensing ActiveX and ActiveX DLL

5. Licensing ActiveX and ActiveX DLL

6. Beta testing for secure (SSL) ActiveX controls and DLLs

7. accessing records in one secure DB from another secure DB - programatically

8. Secure and non-Secure databases in one program

9. Secure TCP/IP or Secure URL connection

10. ActiveX Not Licensed, Common Dialog

11. No valid license to use this ActiveX

12. License required using TreeView ActiveX control in Access?