DLL Base Address
Author Message
 DLL Base Address

What are some tips for setting the DLL Base Address on controls and
libraries you create yourself and plan to use in a single large application?
I've read places that the default should be changed because all controls
will attempt to load there and cause the system to slow down a bit while it
attempts to load it in another area of memeory if it is already occupied. I
know it should be changed, but I am not sure what range of addresses is the
best idea. Please help.

Matthew

Mon, 04 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DLL Base Address
If you have access to VBPJ back issues look in the January of 1999 issue on
page 50.  There is an article titled "Maximize DLL Performance" which
explains the base address. Or go to the
http://www.devx.com/premier/mgznarch/vbpj/1999/01jan99/lj0199.pdf (you must
have Premier Club access)

Peter

Quote:
> What are some tips for setting the DLL Base Address on controls and
> libraries you create yourself and plan to use in a single large
application?
> I've read places that the default should be changed because all controls
> will attempt to load there and cause the system to slow down a bit while
it
> attempts to load it in another area of memeory if it is already occupied.
> know it should be changed, but I am not sure what range of addresses is
the
> best idea. Please help.

> Matthew

Mon, 04 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DLL Base Address
Matthew,

When you pass all the DLLs for your application to Rebase, it bases each DLL
at a unique address. You should not pass your .EXE file to Rebase. It is the
first thing to be loaded, so there is no chance that something else can
already be loaded at its default load address.

The system DLLs are currently based in memory from 0x70000000 to 0x78000000
(0x68000000 to 0x78000000 on MIPS). Therefore, you should base your DLLs
from 0x60000000 to 0x68000000. One possible scheme is to choose a base
address based on the first letter of the DLL name:

First Letter Base Address
A - C         0x60000000
D - F         0x61000000
G - I         0x62000000
J - L         0x63000000
M - O         0x64000000
P - R         0x65000000
S - U         0x66000000
V - X         0x67000000
Y - Z         0x68000000

This is an extraction from MSDN ( Topic being *Rebase*)

Hope this helps!!!
--KK

Quote:
> What are some tips for setting the DLL Base Address on controls and
> libraries you create yourself and plan to use in a single large
application?
> I've read places that the default should be changed because all controls
> will attempt to load there and cause the system to slow down a bit while
it
> attempts to load it in another area of memeory if it is already occupied.
> know it should be changed, but I am not sure what range of addresses is
the
> best idea. Please help.

> Matthew

Tue, 05 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help with DLL Base Address

2. Repost - Dll Base Address?

3. Setting the DLL Base Address on ActiveX component

4. Random DLL Base Address

5. dll base address

6. DLL base address

7. DLL base address

8. dll base address

9. DLL base address generator

10. Base Address for DLLs

11. Getting the ip address based on the MAC Address

12. Find Store Location based on Users Address