Using API calls to my own DLL
Author Message
 Using API calls to my own DLL

I have the need to create a dll that can be referenced by other EXE'x as an
API call rather than internally referenced.
I created a ActiveX dll, put in a single Function, then referenced it from
my Test EXE.  I get error 453, "Can't find DLL entry Point in CobraJag.dll"

The dll is registered and both are written in VB.

What am I missing?

Rob Waibel

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 03:24:44 GMT
 Using API calls to my own DLL
Hey  BushMan,
     Try running depends (It is a tool that gets installed
with Visual Studio Enterprise Edition) on the dll you
created.  If the dll is built correctly and symbols are
exported, you should see your function in depends.
     You can always put the calls in a C dll and expose
them by using the following line to declare your
functions...

__declspec(dllexport) int YourFunctionName(void)
{
  //Put Your Code Here

Quote:
}

The only other thing I can think of is to check if there
is a project setting for exporting symbols and make sure
that you check it off toe xport symbols.  I hope this
helps you out.
          -Evangelos Angelides

Quote:

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 04:34:35 GMT
 Using API calls to my own DLL
VB doesn't support Standard DLLs such as you want.  Unless you
want to hack a lot, you'll have to use an ActiveX interface to you
library code.

Quote:
> I have the need to create a dll that can be referenced by other EXE'x as
an
> API call rather than internally referenced.
> I created a ActiveX dll, put in a single Function, then referenced it from
> my Test EXE.  I get error 453, "Can't find DLL entry Point in
CobraJag.dll"

> The dll is registered and both are written in VB.

> What am I missing?

> Rob Waibel

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 04:49:55 GMT
 Using API calls to my own DLL
Thansk for the info!  That is what I was afraid of.

Quote:
> VB doesn't support Standard DLLs such as you want.  Unless you
> want to hack a lot, you'll have to use an ActiveX interface to you
> library code.

> > I have the need to create a dll that can be referenced by other EXE'x as
> an
> > API call rather than internally referenced.
> > I created a ActiveX dll, put in a single Function, then referenced it
from
> > my Test EXE.  I get error 453, "Can't find DLL entry Point in
> CobraJag.dll"

> > The dll is registered and both are written in VB.

> > What am I missing?

> > Rob Waibel

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 05:01:47 GMT
 Using API calls to my own DLL
thanks for the info.  Looks like I need to learn C++

Quote:
> Hey  BushMan,
>      Try running depends (It is a tool that gets installed
> with Visual Studio Enterprise Edition) on the dll you
> created.  If the dll is built correctly and symbols are
> exported, you should see your function in depends.
>      You can always put the calls in a C dll and expose
> them by using the following line to declare your
> functions...

> __declspec(dllexport) int YourFunctionName(void)
> {
>   //Put Your Code Here
> }

> The only other thing I can think of is to check if there
> is a project setting for exporting symbols and make sure
> that you check it off toe xport symbols.  I hope this
> helps you out.
>           -Evangelos Angelides

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 05:02:47 GMT
 Using API calls to my own DLL
If you created the activex dll in vb, make sure your function/subs are
declared as Public. The activeX dll is actually a class and needs to be
instaniated before you can use it.  Example:

Private Sub Form_Load()
Dim x As testdll.Class1
Set x = New Class1
x.YourFunction
End Sub

If your doing this then it should be working

Mark

Quote:
> I have the need to create a dll that can be referenced by other EXE'x as
an
> API call rather than internally referenced.
> I created a ActiveX dll, put in a single Function, then referenced it from
> my Test EXE.  I get error 453, "Can't find DLL entry Point in
CobraJag.dll"

> The dll is registered and both are written in VB.

> What am I missing?

> Rob Waibel

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 05:06:12 GMT
 Using API calls to my own DLL
Thanks.  If I reference teh dll, it will work.  I was hoping to use teh dll
as a way for other applications to access data via API instead of reference.

Quote:
> If you created the activex dll in vb, make sure your function/subs are
> declared as Public. The activeX dll is actually a class and needs to be
> instaniated before you can use it.  Example:

> Private Sub Form_Load()
> Dim x As testdll.Class1
> Set x = New Class1
> x.YourFunction
> End Sub

> If your doing this then it should be working

> Mark

> > I have the need to create a dll that can be referenced by other EXE'x as
> an
> > API call rather than internally referenced.
> > I created a ActiveX dll, put in a single Function, then referenced it
from
> > my Test EXE.  I get error 453, "Can't find DLL entry Point in
> CobraJag.dll"

> > The dll is registered and both are written in VB.

> > What am I missing?

> > Rob Waibel

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 05:06:28 GMT
 Using API calls to my own DLL
Delphi may have less of a learning curve for you, and
you can easily generate standard DLLs.

Quote:
> thanks for the info.  Looks like I need to learn C++

> > Hey  BushMan,
> >      Try running depends (It is a tool that gets installed
> > with Visual Studio Enterprise Edition) on the dll you
> > created.  If the dll is built correctly and symbols are
> > exported, you should see your function in depends.
> >      You can always put the calls in a C dll and expose
> > them by using the following line to declare your
> > functions...

> > __declspec(dllexport) int YourFunctionName(void)
> > {
> >   file://Put Your Code Here
> > }

> > The only other thing I can think of is to check if there
> > is a project setting for exporting symbols and make sure
> > that you check it off toe xport symbols.  I hope this
> > helps you out.
> >           -Evangelos Angelides

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 10:23:45 GMT

1. Help Using Cards.DLL API calls.

2. Calling a DLL function using API

3. Help needed POSTing to SSL server using wininet.dll API calls

4. Register/Unregister dll/ocx using API calls

5. Calling a DLL function using API

6. Obtaining error messages from WININET.DLL using FormatMessage API call

7. Calling a your own .DLL from within project.

8. Question: Calling my own DLL from VB

9. I need some advice on how to call my own dll from VB 3.0

10. All about API calls DLL calls

11. LogonUser API call in Windows 95/98 / How do you use Secur32.dll/Security.dll

12. Using strings as parameters of an own API