ActiveX control
Author Message
 ActiveX control

I recently created an ActiveX control, I compiled it to an .OCX file, and
registered it thru regsvr32 vna.ocx, and I added it to VB by 'adding
components', when done, there was a usercontrol icon in the toolbox.
However, nothing could be seen when I drag this control to the main form.
But I could see it when this control is run standalone and displayed in IE
6.0! Do you know why and do you know how to solve this problem?Thanks
Jack

Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:37:24 GMT
 ActiveX control

Quote:
> I recently created an ActiveX control, I compiled it to an .OCX file, and
> registered it thru regsvr32 vna.ocx, and I added it to VB by 'adding
> components', when done, there was a usercontrol icon in the toolbox.
> However, nothing could be seen when I drag this control to the main form.
> But I could see it when this control is run standalone and displayed in IE

You either double-click the control in the toolbox to add it to a form, or
you select the control in the toolbox and then "draw" it on the form.

Not to sound rude, but I think the problem is you don't know how to use VB.
You do not drag controls from VB's Toolbox to a form (or other container).
Didn't the circle with the diagonal, bisecting line give you an indication
that you were doing something wrong?  That particular symbol is pretty
universal in meaning "you can't do this".  Again, not to be rude, but how
did you ever create a UserControl if you didn't know how to place
constituent controls on it? I mean, it's done the same way as adding a
control to a form?!?  You might want to consult VB's documentation a little
bit more.

Also, when you compile an OCX in VB, VB automatically registers the control,
so there's no reason to do so manually using regsrv32.exe (unless you want
to move the OCX file to a different folder after you've compiled it).

Mike

Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:05:56 GMT
 ActiveX control
I beg your pardon, I was a bit unconscious... Yes, I did 'draw' on the form.
I got an image in the activeX control. It did appear in IE6, but when I
'drew' the control in the main form, it did not appear. Any ideas?
Thanks
Jack

Quote:

> > I recently created an ActiveX control, I compiled it to an .OCX file,
and
> > registered it thru regsvr32 vna.ocx, and I added it to VB by 'adding
> > components', when done, there was a usercontrol icon in the toolbox.
> > However, nothing could be seen when I drag this control to the main
form.
> > But I could see it when this control is run standalone and displayed in
IE

> You either double-click the control in the toolbox to add it to a form, or
> you select the control in the toolbox and then "draw" it on the form.

> Not to sound rude, but I think the problem is you don't know how to use
VB.
> You do not drag controls from VB's Toolbox to a form (or other container).
> Didn't the circle with the diagonal, bisecting line give you an indication
> that you were doing something wrong?  That particular symbol is pretty
> universal in meaning "you can't do this".  Again, not to be rude, but how
> did you ever create a UserControl if you didn't know how to place
> constituent controls on it? I mean, it's done the same way as adding a
> control to a form?!?  You might want to consult VB's documentation a
little
> bit more.

> Also, when you compile an OCX in VB, VB automatically registers the
control,
> so there's no reason to do so manually using regsrv32.exe (unless you want
> to move the OCX file to a different folder after you've compiled it).

> Mike

Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:09:15 GMT
 ActiveX control
I was a bit messed up with the VB3 interface. Sorry about it...

Quote:

> > I recently created an ActiveX control, I compiled it to an .OCX file,
and
> > registered it thru regsvr32 vna.ocx, and I added it to VB by 'adding
> > components', when done, there was a usercontrol icon in the toolbox.
> > However, nothing could be seen when I drag this control to the main
form.
> > But I could see it when this control is run standalone and displayed in
IE

> You either double-click the control in the toolbox to add it to a form, or
> you select the control in the toolbox and then "draw" it on the form.

> Not to sound rude, but I think the problem is you don't know how to use
VB.
> You do not drag controls from VB's Toolbox to a form (or other container).
> Didn't the circle with the diagonal, bisecting line give you an indication
> that you were doing something wrong?  That particular symbol is pretty
> universal in meaning "you can't do this".  Again, not to be rude, but how
> did you ever create a UserControl if you didn't know how to place
> constituent controls on it? I mean, it's done the same way as adding a
> control to a form?!?  You might want to consult VB's documentation a
little
> bit more.

> Also, when you compile an OCX in VB, VB automatically registers the
control,
> so there's no reason to do so manually using regsrv32.exe (unless you want
> to move the OCX file to a different folder after you've compiled it).

> Mike

Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:10:37 GMT
 ActiveX control
Just the sizing boxes appear?!

Quote:

> > I recently created an ActiveX control, I compiled it to an .OCX file,
and
> > registered it thru regsvr32 vna.ocx, and I added it to VB by 'adding
> > components', when done, there was a usercontrol icon in the toolbox.
> > However, nothing could be seen when I drag this control to the main
form.
> > But I could see it when this control is run standalone and displayed in
IE

> You either double-click the control in the toolbox to add it to a form, or
> you select the control in the toolbox and then "draw" it on the form.

> Not to sound rude, but I think the problem is you don't know how to use
VB.
> You do not drag controls from VB's Toolbox to a form (or other container).
> Didn't the circle with the diagonal, bisecting line give you an indication
> that you were doing something wrong?  That particular symbol is pretty
> universal in meaning "you can't do this".  Again, not to be rude, but how
> did you ever create a UserControl if you didn't know how to place
> constituent controls on it? I mean, it's done the same way as adding a
> control to a form?!?  You might want to consult VB's documentation a
little
> bit more.

> Also, when you compile an OCX in VB, VB automatically registers the
control,
> so there's no reason to do so manually using regsrv32.exe (unless you want
> to move the OCX file to a different folder after you've compiled it).

> Mike

Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:35:09 GMT
 ActiveX control
VERSION 5.00
Begin VB.UserControl UserControl1
   AutoRedraw      =   -1  'True
   BackColor       =   &H80000008&
   BackStyle       =   0  'Transparent
   ClientHeight    =   1665
   ClientLeft      =   0
   ClientTop       =   0
   ClientWidth     =   1740
   MaskColor       =   &H80000008&
   MaskPicture     =   "UserControl1.ctx":0000
   Picture         =   "UserControl1.ctx":0049
   ScaleHeight     =   1665
   ScaleWidth      =   1740
End
Attribute VB_Name = "UserControl1"
Attribute VB_GlobalNameSpace = False
Attribute VB_Creatable = True
Attribute VB_PredeclaredId = False
Attribute VB_Exposed = True
Private Sub UserControl_Initialize()
   Set UserControl.Picture = LoadPicture("C:\images\vna7b.gif")
End Sub

and I have a plain vanilla  VB application which contains the ActiveX
control, I can view it in IE6!
Bye

Quote:

> > I recently created an ActiveX control, I compiled it to an .OCX file,
and
> > registered it thru regsvr32 vna.ocx, and I added it to VB by 'adding
> > components', when done, there was a usercontrol icon in the toolbox.
> > However, nothing could be seen when I drag this control to the main
form.
> > But I could see it when this control is run standalone and displayed in
IE

> You either double-click the control in the toolbox to add it to a form, or
> you select the control in the toolbox and then "draw" it on the form.

> Not to sound rude, but I think the problem is you don't know how to use
VB.
> You do not drag controls from VB's Toolbox to a form (or other container).
> Didn't the circle with the diagonal, bisecting line give you an indication
> that you were doing something wrong?  That particular symbol is pretty
> universal in meaning "you can't do this".  Again, not to be rude, but how
> did you ever create a UserControl if you didn't know how to place
> constituent controls on it? I mean, it's done the same way as adding a
> control to a form?!?  You might want to consult VB's documentation a
little
> bit more.

> Also, when you compile an OCX in VB, VB automatically registers the
control,
> so there's no reason to do so manually using regsrv32.exe (unless you want
> to move the OCX file to a different folder after you've compiled it).

> Mike

Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:36:54 GMT
 ActiveX control
Do not use a picture with transparency.
Edit your picture so that the transparent part is of a color not used in the
image.
Set MaskColor to equal that transparent color.

Quote:
> I recently created an ActiveX control, I compiled it to an .OCX file, and
> registered it thru regsvr32 vna.ocx, and I added it to VB by 'adding
> components', when done, there was a usercontrol icon in the toolbox.
> However, nothing could be seen when I drag this control to the main form.
> But I could see it when this control is run standalone and displayed in IE
> 6.0! Do you know why and do you know how to solve this problem?Thanks
> Jack

---

Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:09:41 GMT
 ActiveX control
Still flickering, and I have the background image to worry about! Thanks

Quote:
> Do not use a picture with transparency.
> Edit your picture so that the transparent part is of a color not used in
the
> image.
> Set MaskColor to equal that transparent color.

> > I recently created an ActiveX control, I compiled it to an .OCX file,
and
> > registered it thru regsvr32 vna.ocx, and I added it to VB by 'adding
> > components', when done, there was a usercontrol icon in the toolbox.
> > However, nothing could be seen when I drag this control to the main
form.
> > But I could see it when this control is run standalone and displayed in
IE
> > 6.0! Do you know why and do you know how to solve this problem?Thanks
> > Jack

> ---

Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:43:06 GMT
 ActiveX control
Im not sure about this but if your making a custom draw
control in .net you need to a designer class. A class that
tells the ide how to draw the control in the ide.

Not sure how that works w/ activex

Quote:

Sat, 27 Nov 2004 03:08:47 GMT

1. ActiveX Control Container for VBCCE5 ActiveX Controls!?

2. Problem in VBA with ActiveX control that contains another ActiveX control

3. ActiveX control within ActiveX control Licencing Error 429

4. Embedding licensed ActiveX Controls within a VB ActiveX Control

5. W2K Doesn't Load ActiveX Control But W98 and WXP Do Load ActiveX Control Correctly

6. ActiveX control inside ActiveX control ?

7. Hosting a WebBrowser Control Inside ActiveX Document or ActiveX Control to be Ho

8. ActiveX.exe or ActiveX DLL or ActiveX Control?????????????

9. Help: Using the datarepeater control with an ActiveX control containing an embedded datacombo control

10. Building ActiveX controls that will access activex.dll running on PWS

11. ActiveX Control in ActiveX EXE

12. ActiveX dll vs ActiveX control - Whats the difference