Type Ahead - TextBox
Author Message
 Type Ahead - TextBox

I have a payment entry form where the user will key in the amount of the
payment and then typically hits the tab key to type in the check number.
On the lost focus of my payment amount field I go out any retrieve the
outstanding charges.  If a user is quick they will start keying in the check
number while the outstanding charges are being retrieved.    When the check
number textbox finally gets focus the backspace doesn't work in order for
the user to correct any typing mistakes.  I can reproduce this problem over
and over again only when I type ahead.  If I wait for the textbox to get
focus and then key in the check number all is fine.

Has anyone every come across this before?
--
Tina
--

Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Type Ahead - TextBox
> On the lost focus of my payment amount field I go out any retrieve the
> outstanding charges.  If a user is quick they will start keying in the

check

Not sure if this is an option but.... Have you tried:
Adding a timer on the form
On the Lost Focus, Timer.Enabled = True
In the Timer Event, retrieve the outstanding charges (background operation)
When done retrieving, Timer.Enabled = False

Or....

Display an hourglass cursor and make the user wait.

Quote:
> I have a payment entry form where the user will key in the amount of the
> payment and then typically hits the tab key to type in the check number.
> On the lost focus of my payment amount field I go out any retrieve the
> outstanding charges.  If a user is quick they will start keying in the
check
> number while the outstanding charges are being retrieved.    When the
check
> number textbox finally gets focus the backspace doesn't work in order for
> the user to correct any typing mistakes.  I can reproduce this problem
over
> and over again only when I type ahead.  If I wait for the textbox to get
> focus and then key in the check number all is fine.

> Has anyone every come across this before?
> --
> Tina
> --
> Note: Remove "~~" from the address to reply via E-mail.

Tue, 29 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Type Ahead - TextBox
Ken,

I'm definitely showing the hourglass but it doesn't prevent the user from
using the keyboard.   It appears to be a bug in the textbox.

Thanks
Tina

Quote:

>> On the lost focus of my payment amount field I go out any retrieve the
>> outstanding charges.  If a user is quick they will start keying in the
>check

>Not sure if this is an option but.... Have you tried:
>Adding a timer on the form
>On the Lost Focus, Timer.Enabled = True
>In the Timer Event, retrieve the outstanding charges (background operation)
>When done retrieving, Timer.Enabled = False

>Or....

>Display an hourglass cursor and make the user wait.

>> I have a payment entry form where the user will key in the amount of the
>> payment and then typically hits the tab key to type in the check number.
>> On the lost focus of my payment amount field I go out any retrieve the
>> outstanding charges.  If a user is quick they will start keying in the
>check
>> number while the outstanding charges are being retrieved.    When the
>check
>> number textbox finally gets focus the backspace doesn't work in order for
>> the user to correct any typing mistakes.  I can reproduce this problem
>over
>> and over again only when I type ahead.  If I wait for the textbox to get
>> focus and then key in the check number all is fine.

>> Has anyone every come across this before?
>> --
>> Tina
>> --
>> Note: Remove "~~" from the address to reply via E-mail.

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Type Ahead - TextBox
You could use.....
MousePointer = vbHourGlass
TextBoxInQuestion.Locked = True

The hourglass doesn't prevent anything.... It's for visual effects only.

Quote:
> Ken,

> I'm definitely showing the hourglass but it doesn't prevent the user from
> using the keyboard.   It appears to be a bug in the textbox.

> Thanks
> Tina

> >> On the lost focus of my payment amount field I go out any retrieve the
> >> outstanding charges.  If a user is quick they will start keying in the
> >check

> >Not sure if this is an option but.... Have you tried:
> >Adding a timer on the form
> >On the Lost Focus, Timer.Enabled = True
> >In the Timer Event, retrieve the outstanding charges (background
operation)
> >When done retrieving, Timer.Enabled = False

> >Or....

> >Display an hourglass cursor and make the user wait.

> >> I have a payment entry form where the user will key in the amount of
the
> >> payment and then typically hits the tab key to type in the check
number.
> >> On the lost focus of my payment amount field I go out any retrieve the
> >> outstanding charges.  If a user is quick they will start keying in the
> >check
> >> number while the outstanding charges are being retrieved.    When the
> >check
> >> number textbox finally gets focus the backspace doesn't work in order
for
> >> the user to correct any typing mistakes.  I can reproduce this problem
> >over
> >> and over again only when I type ahead.  If I wait for the textbox to
get
> >> focus and then key in the check number all is fine.

> >> Has anyone every come across this before?
> >> --
> >> Tina
> >> --
> >> Note: Remove "~~" from the address to reply via E-mail.

Fri, 01 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. auto expand/type-ahead functionality in a listbox-type control

2. object is not valid for type textbox and type textbox

3. Type-ahead control?

4. Turning Type Ahead Off + Compact

5. type ahead feature for combo box

6. Type ahead search routine