Combo Box
Author Message
 Combo Box

I have written a program that uses a number of standard combo boxes. Each
one has a drop down list that has been populated with data. I want the user
to be able to type in an entry rather than select it from the list , which
they can do but the control doesn't recognise the entry (ie it doesn't alter
the list index to match that of the matching entry in the list). Is there
any way around this or do I have to write code that looks through the list
and matched it manually?

I thought the control did this automatically but I must be thinking of
another control.

Any Help Gratefully Received

Regards

Mark

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:32:53 GMT
 Combo Box
You seem to want the combo to auto search / complete for you, which it
doesn't do by default, you can write the code for this in the text change
event.

Quote:
> I have written a program that uses a number of standard combo boxes. Each
> one has a drop down list that has been populated with data. I want the
user
> to be able to type in an entry rather than select it from the list , which
> they can do but the control doesn't recognise the entry (ie it doesn't
alter
> the list index to match that of the matching entry in the list). Is there
> any way around this or do I have to write code that looks through the list
> and matched it manually?

> I thought the control did this automatically but I must be thinking of
> another control.

> Any Help Gratefully Received

> Regards

> Mark

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:40:06 GMT
 Combo Box
Try setting the style of the combo box to 2-Dropdown List and the Sorted
property to true. The combo box won't have an edit control but the typing
and autoselecting works fine.
CAK

Quote:
> I have written a program that uses a number of standard combo boxes. Each
> one has a drop down list that has been populated with data. I want the
user
> to be able to type in an entry rather than select it from the list , which
> they can do but the control doesn't recognise the entry (ie it doesn't
alter
> the list index to match that of the matching entry in the list). Is there
> any way around this or do I have to write code that looks through the list
> and matched it manually?

> I thought the control did this automatically but I must be thinking of
> another control.

> Any Help Gratefully Received

> Regards

> Mark

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:20:25 GMT
 Combo Box

Quote:
> I thought the control did this automatically but I must be thinking of
> another control.

You are thinking of the combo box provided by MS Access. In VB, you have to
search the list yourself to determine if what the user typed is in there.

Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:09:46 GMT
 Combo Box
Set it's properties to the following!

DropDownList
Sorted  = True

Then it will match entry as you type!

Regards

VOrtex

Quote:
> I have written a program that uses a number of standard combo boxes. Each
> one has a drop down list that has been populated with data. I want the
user
> to be able to type in an entry rather than select it from the list , which
> they can do but the control doesn't recognise the entry (ie it doesn't
alter
> the list index to match that of the matching entry in the list). Is there
> any way around this or do I have to write code that looks through the list
> and matched it manually?

> I thought the control did this automatically but I must be thinking of
> another control.

> Any Help Gratefully Received

> Regards

> Mark

Thu, 18 Nov 2004 06:44:05 GMT

1. enter data in a combo box based on value from another combo box

2. Limit subform combo box by selection in parent combo box

3. Want Access combo box to filter rowsource of another combo box

4. Populating a combo box from another combo box

5. Populate a combo box from another combo box selection

6. selecting records for 2nd combo box dependant on first combo box

7. Help filling second combo box from fist combo box

8. Combo box selection narrows next combo box choices

9. load 2nd combo box - depend on first combo box

10. Setting Combo box ListIndex initiates Combo box Click event

11. combo box/database combo box vlaue question - newbie

12. Combo Box like Data Bound Combo Box?