Coolbars & VB6 - sorted !
Author Message
 Coolbars & VB6 - sorted !

Hi,

This is a reply to anyone struggling with the coolbar control, with thanks
to this newsgroup for helping me on my way.

The coolbar is made up of at least one band, which act as containers for
just one control per band. Sounds limiting? Well, by placing a toolbar in
there, you can have many controls per band.

The bands can be opened or closed by clicking on the 'handles' during run
time, thereby exposing several diferent layers of controls (or toolbars). By
setting the tollbar controls to flat with no border, they take on the
characteristic 'hover' functionality we now see with Explorer, Office, etc.

In summary:
1. set your image list as before
2. create a toolbar which references the image list
3. create a coolbar, put the toolbar on it and set the coolbar band 'child'
property to reference the toolbar. This pulls in the toolbar and expresses
the toolbar functionality through the coolbar look.

The only thing I haven't done yet is set the background images for the
coolbar. These I believe can be set for the bands and the whole coolbar,
giving a unique look to your apps.

Another technique I'm trying is to set up a menu structure within a form,
then set the menu bar visible property to false. Then, using a coolbar with
captions only, use the click events to expose the menus - in the same way
that the VB6 IDE does itself.

Anyway, plenty to get your teeth into, and if anyone's looking for an
excellent book on these subjects and many like it - try "Visual Basic 6
Black Book" by Steve Holzner,
http://www.*-*-*.com/
999475-4233042

...an excellent read for intermediate developers upwards!

Happy Coding ;-)

Andy

Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Coolbars & VB6 - sorted !
You may like to have a look at a menu control I'm developing (FREE) to
give the sort of menu you're talking about.  It does (or will when
finished, only keyboard support and testing left) all the stuff the new
fancy command bar stuff Microsoft introduced with office and VB5, plus
more.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Grid/4926/coolmenu.htm

As it's an ActiveX control, there should be no problem placing it on a
coolbar band.

Note:  The controil is written in VB5, I don't own VB6.  But when
finished I may arrange with someone to compile a native VB6 version.

Quote:

> Hi,

> This is a reply to anyone struggling with the coolbar control, with thanks
> to this newsgroup for helping me on my way.

> The coolbar is made up of at least one band, which act as containers for
> just one control per band. Sounds limiting? Well, by placing a toolbar in
> there, you can have many controls per band.

> The bands can be opened or closed by clicking on the 'handles' during run
> time, thereby exposing several diferent layers of controls (or toolbars). By
> setting the tollbar controls to flat with no border, they take on the
> characteristic 'hover' functionality we now see with Explorer, Office, etc.

> In summary:
> 1. set your image list as before
> 2. create a toolbar which references the image list
> 3. create a coolbar, put the toolbar on it and set the coolbar band 'child'
> property to reference the toolbar. This pulls in the toolbar and expresses
> the toolbar functionality through the coolbar look.

> The only thing I haven't done yet is set the background images for the
> coolbar. These I believe can be set for the bands and the whole coolbar,
> giving a unique look to your apps.

> Another technique I'm trying is to set up a menu structure within a form,
> then set the menu bar visible property to false. Then, using a coolbar with
> captions only, use the click events to expose the menus - in the same way
> that the VB6 IDE does itself.

> Anyway, plenty to get your teeth into, and if anyone's looking for an
> excellent book on these subjects and many like it - try "Visual Basic 6
> Black Book" by Steve Holzner,
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1576102831/qid=910088320/sr=1-...
> 999475-4233042

> ...an excellent read for intermediate developers upwards!

> Happy Coding ;-)

> Andy

*                         Jared Cooper                          *

*                 Author of jcCoolMenu control                  *
*      Advanced menu system for 32bit Windows Applications      *
*                                                               *
* http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Grid/4926/coolmenu.htm *
*         Pass in Microsoft Certification (Exam 70-165)         *
*    "Developing Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic 5"    *

Thu, 26 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Coolbars & VB6 - sorted !
Hi Jared,

Thanks - I've just downloaded it. I'll have a look & let you know.

Andy

Quote:
> [...]

>> 999475-4233042

>> ...an excellent read for intermediate developers upwards!

>> Happy Coding ;-)

>> Andy

>--

>*                         Jared Cooper                          *
>*---------------------------------------------------------------*

>*---------------------------------------------------------------*
>*                 Author of jcCoolMenu control                  *
>*      Advanced menu system for 32bit Windows Applications      *
>*                                                               *
>* http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Grid/4926/coolmenu.htm *
>*---------------------------------------------------------------*
>*         Pass in Microsoft Certification (Exam 70-165)         *
>*    "Developing Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic 5"    *

Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB6 and Coolbars

2. VB6 coolbars?

3. Figured out CoolBars in VB6 yet?

4. Sort order - Edit Filter Sort or Quick Sort

5. ADO Linking Databases/Tables - VB6 & .mde

6. Menus in coolbars

7. Coolbars

8. Coolbars

9. Freeware Coolbars