Mscomm, modem and Windows 2000
Author Message
 Mscomm, modem and Windows 2000

Does anyone know a work around for using a modem in windows 2000?  Mscomm
will not use com port that is associated with the modem.  It works on the 98
side, but not on my 2000 side.  I've tried to find API calls to subvert
mscomm, but haven't had any luck in finding such a creature.

Sun, 01 Feb 2004 20:38:07 GMT
 Mscomm, modem and Windows 2000
Hi,

I use MSComm under Windows 2K with no trouble at all.  You don't say what
fails, so I cannot offer any really specific advice.  However, if you can
provide more information, perhaps I can help.  Right now, all I can say is,
"there is some problem with your program or system.  MSComm is not the
issue."

--
Richard Grier (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)
Hard & Software

Mon, 02 Feb 2004 23:46:38 GMT
 Mscomm, modem and Windows 2000
I have two serial ports com1 and com2 that are under my system-ports in
control panel.  Those I can communicate from just fine.  The problem comes
from my modem being a soft modem and assocciated with com3 under the modem
properties.  Mscomm will let me set the port to com3("MSComm1.CommPort = 3")
but the problem comes when I try and open the port.  I get an invalid port
number.
Thank you very much for your help,
Chad

Quote:
> Hi,

> I use MSComm under Windows 2K with no trouble at all.  You don't say what
> fails, so I cannot offer any really specific advice.  However, if you can
> provide more information, perhaps I can help.  Right now, all I can say
is,
> "there is some problem with your program or system.  MSComm is not the
> issue."

> --
> Richard Grier (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)
> Hard & Software
> 12962 West Louisiana Avenue
> Lakewood, CO  80228
> 303-986-2179 (voice)
> 303-986-3143 (fax)
> Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 2nd
> Edition ISBN 1-890422-25-8 (355 pages).
> For information look on my homepage at http://www.hardandsoftware.net.
> Use the Books link to order.  For faster service contact the publisher at
> http://www.mabry.com/vbpgser.

Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:38:30 GMT
 Mscomm, modem and Windows 2000
Hi,

Mscomm will let me set the port to com3("MSComm1.CommPort = 3")
but the problem comes when I try and open the port.  I get an invalid port
number.
<<

I use a number of different brands of WinModem, an have no trouble with
them.  Some drivers associated with WinModems require that you initialize
the modem immediately after you open the port.  However, actually opening
the port should cause no trouble.

Does this modem work with other programs?  Have you tried it with the VBTerm
example code that comes with VB?  Is there any possibility that some other
application is using the modem (Microsoft FAX is notorious for this)?  If
so, a TAPI application like HyperTerminal can "share" the port -- however,
MSComm and other conventional serial methods require uncontested port
access.  Run Task Manager to see if there is something else using the port.

--
Richard Grier (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)
Hard & Software
12962 West Louisiana Avenue
Lakewood, CO  80228
303-986-2179 (voice)
303-986-3143 (fax)
Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 2nd
Edition ISBN 1-890422-25-8 (355 pages).
For information look on my homepage at http://www.hardandsoftware.net.
Use the Books link to order.  For faster service contact the publisher at
http://www.mabry.com/vbpgser.

Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:01:35 GMT
 Mscomm, modem and Windows 2000
Hyperterminal has no trouble dialing through the modem as well as
pcanywhere9.2.  The vbterm and newvbterm will not open it as well as your
mcomm program from your website.  It dies at the same place under portopen
method the "mComm.portopen=true.".
I checked for a fax service and process under task manager, but I didn't see
any.  I even ended some that might have been it, but that still didn't allow
the program to work.

Quote:
> Hi,

> Mscomm will let me set the port to com3("MSComm1.CommPort = 3")
> but the problem comes when I try and open the port.  I get an invalid port
> number.
> <<

> I use a number of different brands of WinModem, an have no trouble with
> them.  Some drivers associated with WinModems require that you initialize
> the modem immediately after you open the port.  However, actually opening
> the port should cause no trouble.

> Does this modem work with other programs?  Have you tried it with the
VBTerm
> example code that comes with VB?  Is there any possibility that some other
> application is using the modem (Microsoft FAX is notorious for this)?  If
> so, a TAPI application like HyperTerminal can "share" the port -- however,
> MSComm and other conventional serial methods require uncontested port
> access.  Run Task Manager to see if there is something else using the
port.

> --
> Richard Grier (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)
> Hard & Software
> 12962 West Louisiana Avenue
> Lakewood, CO  80228
> 303-986-2179 (voice)
> 303-986-3143 (fax)
> Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 2nd
> Edition ISBN 1-890422-25-8 (355 pages).
> For information look on my homepage at http://www.hardandsoftware.net.
> Use the Books link to order.  For faster service contact the publisher at
> http://www.mabry.com/vbpgser.

Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:22:53 GMT

1. MSComm problem under Windows 2000?

2. Word 2000 from within VB: Windows 2000: error, Windows ME: ok

3. I cant believe it is happening - Windows 2000 and Access 2000 crashes

4. ADO Help doesn't appear (Access 2000, Windows 2000)

5. Word 2000 will not run in Windows 2000

6. CR8+VB6+SQL Server 2000 and Windows 2000

7. CR6 and SQL Server 2000 and Windows 2000

8. Function not working with Windows 2000 or Office 2000

9. VB, Access 2000, and Windows 2000

10. VBA problems Going from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

11. Windows 2000 and windows NT in one machine

12. Transparent Windows in Windows 2000