Newbie question Re: Apex TDBCombo Pro 5.0
Author Message
 Newbie question Re: Apex TDBCombo Pro 5.0

What I need to do seems like it should be Bound Controls 101, ... or easier.
And yet... well, I'm new to all of this.

I'm trying out the Evaluation version of TDBList/TDBCombo Pro 5.0, which I
just downloaded the other day.  I'd like to set up the simplest example with
2 remote data controls, and one TDBCombo.  Let's say that the database has 2
tables, States and Customers.  I would like to populate the list portion
with the names of the 50 states. I'd like the text portion to be bound to
the state_id column in the Customers table.  So here's what I've done.  One
RDC, named rdcStates uses the query:

select state_id, state_name from States

The other RDC, named rdcCustomers uses the query:

select * from Customers

Here are my property settings for TDBCombo1:

RowSource = datStates
DataSource = datCustomers
BoundColumn = state_id
DataField = state_id
ListField = state_name
LimitToList = True
DatMode = 0 - Bound

Things work ok.  The problem is that I don't want the list to show the
state_ids when it drops down.  But I can't hide it, or delete it.  I've
tried setting TDBCombo1.Columns(0).Visible = False in the Form_Load
procedure, but after the list drops down, I can move the mousepointer to the
very left edge of the dropped down list and slide the list of state names
over to the right, revealing the list if state_ids.  Is it possible to
*really* hide the list of IDs so that they are *never* visible to the user.
If so, it would also be good if I could accomplish this in code as opposed
to design-time.  I know that I must be missing something, and that this
can't be that hard.

Can anyone provide a little guidance to a beginner.

Thanks,

Barry

Thu, 04 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie question Re: Apex TDBCombo Pro 5.0

Quote:

> What I need to do seems like it should be Bound Controls 101, ... or easier.
> And yet... well, I'm new to all of this.

> I'm trying out the Evaluation version of TDBList/TDBCombo Pro 5.0, which I
> just downloaded the other day.  I'd like to set up the simplest example with
> 2 remote data controls, and one TDBCombo.  Let's say that the database has 2
> tables, States and Customers.  I would like to populate the list portion
> with the names of the 50 states. I'd like the text portion to be bound to
> the state_id column in the Customers table.  So here's what I've done.  One
> RDC, named rdcStates uses the query:

> select state_id, state_name from States

> The other RDC, named rdcCustomers uses the query:

> select * from Customers

> Here are my property settings for TDBCombo1:

> RowSource = datStates
> DataSource = datCustomers
> BoundColumn = state_id
> DataField = state_id
> ListField = state_name
> LimitToList = True
> DatMode = 0 - Bound

> Things work ok.  The problem is that I don't want the list to show the
> state_ids when it drops down.  But I can't hide it, or delete it.  I've
> tried setting TDBCombo1.Columns(0).Visible = False in the Form_Load
> procedure, but after the list drops down, I can move the mousepointer to the
> very left edge of the dropped down list and slide the list of state names
> over to the right, revealing the list if state_ids.  Is it possible to
> *really* hide the list of IDs so that they are *never* visible to the user.
> If so, it would also be good if I could accomplish this in code as opposed
> to design-time.  I know that I must be missing something, and that this
> can't be that hard.

> Can anyone provide a little guidance to a beginner.

> Thanks,

> Barry

Set the AllowSizing property of this column to False.

Lac

Fri, 05 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. APEX Releases True DBGrid Pro 5.0

2. Apex TrueDB Grid Pro 5.0

3. Apex TrueDB Grid Pro 5.0

4. Apex TrueDB Grid Pro 5.0

5. Apex TrueDB Grid Pro 5.0

6. newbie - VB and Filemaker Pro ver 5.0

7. [NEED SERIOUS HELP! ...VB 5.0 Pro Question]

8. [NEED SERIOUS HELP! ...VB 5.0 Pro Question]

9. Pro ActiveX Question (VB 5.0)

10. GPF Visual Fox Pro 5.0 ODBC and Memo Fields me too question

11. Help with VB 4.0 & Apex TrueGrid Pro

12. WTB: APEX Truegrid VBX for MS Visual Basic Pro v3.0