VB & RDO connect MSACCESS
Author Message
 VB & RDO connect MSACCESS

Quote:

>If your going to connect to an Access Database use DAO.

But you may want to be able to connect to other databases in the future.
Using DAO limits you greatly.  At least use ODBC.

 Bradley S. Murray       Princeton Computer Consulting  (609) 730-9100

To respond, use the address in the signature and while you're at it,
dummy up your reply address to avoid getting junk e-mail from these
scum bags who scan newsgroups to build address lists

Tue, 02 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB & RDO connect MSACCESS

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe ODBCDirect ends up going through RDO
in the end.

I remember reading or hearing this from somwhere not sure where though.

Our preference here is RDO. Even if the database is Access. This way > 95%
of your code stays the same if not 100% (if you code correctly)

--
Martin Garins, MCSD
RR Systems Group

Quote:
>Actually, ODBCDirect was invented for this express purpose.

>In other words, if you want to have the same source code interface to the
>native Jet engine and ODBC sources, you would choose ODBCDirect by
changing
>the DBEngine's DefaultType property. There are some differences, but
90-95%
>of your source will be the same.

>If you only want to access the Jet engine, simply use DAO without
changing
>the DBEngine's DefaultType property.

>If you want to access an ODBC data source only, but you want an object
>oriented framework (as opposed to the ODBC SDK), you would use RDO.

>--
>Tom Archer

>==================
>co-author, "Visual C++ 5.0 Bible"
>co-author, "Visual J++ 1.1 Bible"

>>>If your going to connect to an Access Database use DAO.

>>But you may want to be able to connect to other databases in the future.
>>Using DAO limits you greatly.  At least use ODBC.

>>_______________________________________________________________________
>> Bradley S. Murray       Princeton Computer Consulting  (609) 730-9100

>>To respond, use the address in the signature and while you're at it,
>>dummy up your reply address to avoid getting junk e-mail from these
>>scum bags who scan newsgroups to build address lists

Tue, 02 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB & RDO connect MSACCESS

Quote:
>Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe ODBCDirect ends up going through RDO
>in the end.

Yes, but it's not an extra layer the way Jet is an extra layer over
ODBC. ODBCDirect is basically just an alternate entrypoint into the
RDO DLL's.

Quote:
>Our preference here is RDO. Even if the database is Access.

Wow. RDO calls the ODBC interface for the Jet engine, which is in fact
a wrapper around the actual msjt3032.dll Jet engine, which performs
the work, sends the results back to RDO, and thence to your program.

Or, use Jet and talk to the MDB directly.

-- Jim Ferguson, FMS
   http://www.fmsinc.com

Wed, 03 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB & RDO connect MSACCESS

I recently worked on a project where the chances were good that we'd be
moving up to a server database from Access eventually. We tested RDO
against Access, and in general found no more than a 20% performance hit, so
we went with RDO for everything. Of course, under some circumstances, 20%
may be too much. Setting up a few test cases to see how it works in your
environment is the best approach.

Quote:
> Yes, ODBCDirect goes through RDO. However, from your source code's point
of
> view if you are programming to the DAO xface, you only have to change the
> DefaultType to get the speed advantages of going directly to the Jet when
> using Access and eliminating the Jet when using an ODBC driver. In your
> case (using RDO all the time), your MS Access performance is going to be
> much slower than it would be if you used DAO. Sorry if I didn't make that
> clear.

Wed, 03 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB & RDO connect MSACCESS

I am working on a new project and have been trying to resolve this very
question for some time. I am very interested to view this discussion on the
use of ODBCDirect, it sounds like it will solve my problem very nicely. A
few questions:

1. What is it?
2. How does one change the DefaultType of DBEngine?
3. I cannot find this property in my version of VB4. Is it new for VB5?
4. Where can I get more information on it?
5. Do you have a coding example of it's use? (Preferrably VB)

Some other information on ODBC with Access. An investigation a collegue of
mine did recently showed that the ODBC driver for MS Access databases does
not support updateable result sets. This was proven in testing - even to
the point of takiung some code exampled from Technet and running them
resulting in runtime errors when trying to update a recordset. This
effectively rules out RDO and ODBC API as access methods for Access
databases

Regards,

Stephen Back

Quote:
> Actually, ODBCDirect was invented for this express purpose.

> In other words, if you want to have the same source code interface to the
> native Jet engine and ODBC sources, you would choose ODBCDirect by
changing
> the DBEngine's DefaultType property. There are some differences, but
90-95%
> of your source will be the same.

> If you only want to access the Jet engine, simply use DAO without
changing
> the DBEngine's DefaultType property.

> If you want to access an ODBC data source only, but you want an object
> oriented framework (as opposed to the ODBC SDK), you would use RDO.

> --
> Tom Archer

> ==================
> co-author, "Visual C++ 5.0 Bible"
> co-author, "Visual J++ 1.1 Bible"

Thu, 11 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB & RDO connect MSACCESS

2. VB & RDO connect MSACCESS

3. connect vc++ & msaccess 2000/2002 thru dao

4. Good Book on VB & MSACCESS

5. MSAccess, Excel, VB & ADO

6. Accessing to a ODBC MSAccess database by rdo at same time

7. Connect with MSaccess via datacontrol

8. Connecting to MSAccess Database via ODBC

9. how to connect to MSAccess database??

10. VB, RDO & Windows NT.

11. VB 5.0 Enterprise, Oracle & RDO

12. VB, RDO, & Picture Box