Need code for a phone dialer with subsequent internal ext dialer.
Author Message
 Need code for a phone dialer with subsequent internal ext dialer.

Hi All:

Someone out there just might have a code snippet on some logic I've been
trying to figure out.

Or, perhaps you could give me a lead on some nice friendly place where I
could get a working sample to solve this problem.

Here's the background:

1. Computer connects to modem and picks up line and gets initial dial tone.

2. Program logic (similar to MS Dialer) prompts for phone number.

3. On command, the computer dials the number.

4. You listen to voice recording on pick up. (This usually is a telephony
answering system).

5. You get an extension number from the called answering system.

6. You key in this extension number. (notice we did not drop the line yet)

7. You command the computer "Now dial (tone) this number on this open line".

And so on.

The computer at no time is to drop the line until you command it to, or you
command hang up.

The computer is to use the open line to dial the extension and dial any
subsequent numbers thereafter.

numbers after initial dial tone and set up of modem.

Sounds simple enough.

But the Comm object support code I've been looking at always wants to go
back and pick up modem and get a fresh dial tone.

Maybe I should be looking at TAPI and not trying to use any of this MS Comm
stuff!

Then again I just might be out of my league!

Maybe I can hide the new dial numbers inside an esc string? I'll need to
look in modem book.

Hope someone can help me, not dumb, just a little lost in the MS Comm code
maze.

Jim

*Sorry about all the spacing of the text, but I'm almost blind and have to
set the lines apart so that I can see them better.

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:00:18 GMT
 Need code for a phone dialer with subsequent internal ext dialer.
Hi,

I have example code in my book (see below) that does this sort of thing,
though not in the exact detail that you outline.  You can use MSComm to
access the serial port to send dialing commands to your modem.  If you
terminate each dial string with a semicolon (";"), then the modem will
remain in command mode, waiting for additional dialing commands -- all the
while remaining connected to the phone line.

The program that you gin up for this will be quite similar to the Dialer
example that comes with VB, though things like the semicolon are not
completely obvious.

--
Richard Grier (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)
Hard & Software

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:03:52 GMT

1. passing phone # into phone dialer

2. Proper Command Code for a simple Phone Dialer

3. Using Outlook Dialer vs Access Dialer

4. Using Outlook Dialer vs Access Dialer

5. Dialer (PPP/Slip) or access Win95s dialer

6. Need quick TAPI dialer source code

7. using phone dialer with Access 2000

8. phone dialer modification

9. Phone Dialer