How to make a stand alone application.
Author Message
 How to make a stand alone application.

I know that this is probably a stupid question, but how do i make an
application that does not need the vb runtime files?

Thanks for the help
Clint

Sun, 27 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to make a stand alone application.
You use a different language.
Like MS VC++

Quote:
> I know that this is probably a stupid question, but how do i make an
> application that does not need the vb runtime files?

> Thanks for the help
> Clint

Sun, 27 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to make a stand alone application.

Quote:
> I know that this is probably a stupid question, but how do i make an
> application that does not need the vb runtime files?

Answer:  Write it in Delphi.  <g>

Seriously, it's not a stupid question.  Many programmers ask this question.
Unfortunately, VB requires the use of dynamically-linked runtime libraries.
It does not currently have an option to "staticly" link those routines into
the EXE you build.  If you build an EXE or even an OCX or DLL with VB, it
will require distribution of the VB core runtime files in order for it to
run on a given system.

While this may seem a major problem, it does have the advantage of allowing
you to create smaller EXEs, since the bulk of the code is in the runtime (in
many cases).  I just wish Microsoft would ship the VB runtime(s) (4,5,6,
etc.) with the operating systems, so we VB programmers could "assume" that
they'd be there.  Of course, as soon as a new rev of VB came out, you
couldn't assume its runtime would be present until the next OS came out...
<argh>.

Sorry, maybe VB7 will offer static linking - of course, if they do, don't be
surprised if you start getting 3 MB "hello world" programs!

Regards,
--
Vinnie Murdico
Software with Brains, Inc.

Sun, 27 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Please advice, making stand alone apps...

2. Making Stand-Alone Program of Access 7.0 MDB

3. How to create Stand alone applications?

4. Stand Alone Applications

5. ACCESS Stand-Alone Application

6. Stand alone applications

7. Stand Alone app - to VB conversion

8. Call MSACCESS Macros from Stand Alone VB5 App.

9. VBA stand-alone executables

10. Stand-alone .exe to convert .doc to .html

11. Stand alone exe.

12. Whe to use VB.NET for stand alone app