PROBLEM: Multimedia timers don't seem to be more efficient than regular ones.
Author Message
 PROBLEM: Multimedia timers don't seem to be more efficient than regular ones.

Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure I will be corrected), but I've downloaded some multimedia timers from VB Accelerator and CCRP and tried them on my computer. In my project I want to count the elapsed time starting from a given moment. Multimedia timers seem to do this right if you set their interval (or frequency for the CCRP control) to a small value. This should slow down the system, right? And, however, if I set the interval of a simple timer to 5 miliseconds, let's say (MM timers usually use 1 milisecond for interval) and use Now and DateDiff functions, I get the same result. So, please, tell me, is there a reason why I sould use multimedia timers in my project?

--

Outlook Express Unofficial Site: http://www.*-*-*.com/
VB Open Source Site: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PROBLEM: Multimedia timers don't seem to be more efficient than regular ones.
the smallest interval that the timer that ships with vb can fire at is 55ms,
regardless of what you set it at.  if you need a timer to fire at a higher
rate than you need to use one of the mm timers. performance is not the issue
here and since DateDiff will only return seconds as the lowest not
milliseconds you are not noticing a difference.

richardb

--
-=< Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain
consciousness.>=-

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure I will be corrected), but I've downloaded
some multimedia timers from VB Accelerator and CCRP and tried them on my
computer. In my project I want to count the elapsed time starting from a
given moment. Multimedia timers seem to do this right if you set their
interval (or frequency for the CCRP control) to a small value. This should
slow down the system, right? And, however, if I set the interval of a simple
timer to 5 miliseconds, let's say (MM timers usually use 1 milisecond for
interval) and use Now and DateDiff functions, I get the same result. So,
please, tell me, is there a reason why I sould use multimedia timers in my
project?

--

Outlook Express Unofficial Site: http://www.outlookexpress.go.ro
VB Open Source Site: http://open-source.home.ro

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PROBLEM: Multimedia timers don't seem to be more efficient than regular ones.
I would say, use timers to generate events to make things happen; do not
use timers to try to count time, for which DateDiff (or other simple
methods if you need more accuracy) is appropriate. Elapsed time is a
function of start time and end time, irrespective of anything that might
have happened during the interval . . .
Quote:

> Hi,

> Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure I will be corrected), but I've downloaded some multimedia timers from VB Accelerator and CCRP and tried them on my computer. In my project I want to count the elapsed time starting from a given moment. Multimedia timers seem to do this right if you set their interval (or frequency for the CCRP control) to a small value. This should slow down the system, right? And, however, if I set the interval of a simple timer to 5 miliseconds, let's say (MM timers usually use 1 milisecond for interval) and use Now and DateDiff functions, I get the same result. So, please, tell me, is there a reason why I sould use multimedia timers in my project?

> --

> Outlook Express Unofficial Site: http://www.outlookexpress.go.ro
> VB Open Source Site: http://open-source.home.ro

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PROBLEM: Multimedia timers don't seem to be more efficient than regular ones.
I'm more curious to know how you got the MM Timers to work in the first
place (I downloaded them from the same place).  Seems they work fine when
running in the VB IDE, but when compiled and referenced in another project,
they crash horribly.

Apparently I'm not the only one with this problem, so please Radu, if you
had the same problem and found a fix, let us know.

[...]

Thu, 07 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PROBLEM: Multimedia timers don't seem to be more efficient than regular ones.
Sorry, I wish I could help you, but I can't. I just tried them in the IDE, so I don't know how they work in a regular compiled project (after I realized they are not helpful at all, I just deleted them...). Maybe you should ask the guys at the download site (you should try the CCRP site, they should really know something), maybe they have an idea. Again, sorry.

--

Outlook Express Unofficial Site: http://www.outlookexpress.go.ro
VB Open Source Site: http://open-source.home.ro

Quote:

> I'm more curious to know how you got the MM Timers to work in the first
> place (I downloaded them from the same place).  Seems they work fine when
> running in the VB IDE, but when compiled and referenced in another project,
> they crash horribly.

> Apparently I'm not the only one with this problem, so please Radu, if you
> had the same problem and found a fix, let us know.

> Hi,

> Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure I will be corrected), but I've downloaded
> some multimedia timers from VB Accelerator and CCRP and tried them on my
> computer. In my project I want to count the elapsed time starting from a
> given moment. Multimedia timers seem to do this right if you set their
> interval (or frequency for the CCRP control) to a small value. This should
> slow down the system, right? And, however, if I set the interval of a simple
> timer to 5 miliseconds, let's say (MM timers usually use 1 milisecond for
> interval) and use Now and DateDiff functions, I get the same result. So,
> please, tell me, is there a reason why I sould use multimedia timers in my
> project?

> --

> Outlook Express Unofficial Site: http://www.outlookexpress.go.ro
> VB Open Source Site: http://open-source.home.ro

Fri, 08 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problem:macro seems to run when i don't want it

2. variable objects don't seem to work

3. Refresh/Requery don't seem to work while doing file I/O

4. Outlook 2002 events don't seem to fire

5. VB hooks to WORD don't seem to work with Word 2000 SP1

6. Tool tips don't seem to work

7. Win API functions that don't seem to exist in Win32 API

8. Multimedia Timers = RealTime Timers ?

9. I am RILLY thick so pleez don't bother replying to this message :)

10. Multiple Timers, Events Queue, DoEvents Don't Work

11. Don't tell me no one knows the answer

12. One out of every two .Requery don't work on my small LAN