WINSOCK BUGS, HELP!
Author Message
 WINSOCK BUGS, HELP!

Hello,

I am building a internet bases database server. for that purpose I build
a communications object that dynamically uses winsock controls.. create
one for a connection, and destroy it again upon connection close. BUT!

first of all, winsock cannot close an adress and port correctly, so I
cannot use that specific port for a 4 minutes after is has been closed.
I need tobe able to use specific ports, so I cannot let winsock decide
what port to use.

second, when unloaded, winsock doesnt release all system recourses, so
its just a matter of time before the control crashes the computer
becouse of lack of memory.

third, when connection is lost, and I am still sending data, then detect
there is an error and then close the control, the control generates an
connection event... where this event comes from, or who generates it, I
dont know, but it is inside the winsock control.

all these bugs are confirmed at the microsoft site, its still there in
SP3 also. so I cannot use the MS winsock control. does anyone knows if
there are other winsock like controls with at least same or better
functionality from other companies? and if yes, where can I find them?!
I am kind of desperate about this, becouse I cannot make my contol work
ok with the MS winsock.

Mon, 23 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 WINSOCK BUGS, HELP!
The winsock API calls are so easy and straightforward that you really don't
need the winsock control at all in your app.  Ditch the OCX completely and
use the API calls.
--
Robert Simpson
Programmer at Large

Quote:
> Hello,

> I am building a internet bases database server. for that purpose I build
> a communications object that dynamically uses winsock controls.. create
> one for a connection, and destroy it again upon connection close. BUT!

> first of all, winsock cannot close an adress and port correctly, so I
> cannot use that specific port for a 4 minutes after is has been closed.
> I need tobe able to use specific ports, so I cannot let winsock decide
> what port to use.

> second, when unloaded, winsock doesnt release all system recourses, so
> its just a matter of time before the control crashes the computer
> becouse of lack of memory.

> third, when connection is lost, and I am still sending data, then detect
> there is an error and then close the control, the control generates an
> connection event... where this event comes from, or who generates it, I
> dont know, but it is inside the winsock control.

> all these bugs are confirmed at the microsoft site, its still there in
> SP3 also. so I cannot use the MS winsock control. does anyone knows if
> there are other winsock like controls with at least same or better
> functionality from other companies? and if yes, where can I find them?!
> I am kind of desperate about this, becouse I cannot make my contol work
> ok with the MS winsock.

Thu, 26 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 WINSOCK BUGS, HELP!
On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 15:51:00 +0200, Sven Oostenbrink

Quote:

>first of all, winsock cannot close an adress and port correctly, so I
>cannot use that specific port for a 4 minutes after is has been closed.

From the description it appears that you are writing some kind of
server, i.e. the passive end of the TCP/IP ? connection.

While you have to close the data transfer socket after the job has
been done, why on earth are you killing the listening socket if you
expect more jobs to arrive ?

Anyway, the SO_REUSEADDR option in setsockopt is useful when a server
process is quickly restarted, making it possible to immediately start
using the same port number, so I guess it will help in this situation
too.

Fri, 27 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 WINSOCK BUGS, HELP!
Hello Sven!

Try Catalyst's SocketWrench. It's free and quite good.
http://www.catalyst.com

Regards,

Sixto

Quote:
> Hello,
> all these bugs are confirmed at the microsoft site, its still there in
> SP3 also. so I cannot use the MS winsock control. does anyone knows if
> there are other winsock like controls with at least same or better
> functionality from other companies? and if yes, where can I find them?!
> I am kind of desperate about this, becouse I cannot make my contol work
> ok with the MS winsock.

Fri, 27 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 WINSOCK BUGS, HELP!
I use the API, as well.

Beware of buggy documentation, though. I found some examples of POST which
were wrong.

Quote:
> The winsock API calls are so easy and straightforward that you really
don't
> need the winsock control at all in your app.  Ditch the OCX completely and
> use the API calls.
> --
> Robert Simpson
> Programmer at Large
> Black Castle Software, LLC
> http://www.blackcastlesoft.com

> > Hello,

> > I am building a internet bases database server. for that purpose I build
> > a communications object that dynamically uses winsock controls.. create
> > one for a connection, and destroy it again upon connection close. BUT!

> > first of all, winsock cannot close an adress and port correctly, so I
> > cannot use that specific port for a 4 minutes after is has been closed.
> > I need tobe able to use specific ports, so I cannot let winsock decide
> > what port to use.

> > second, when unloaded, winsock doesnt release all system recourses, so
> > its just a matter of time before the control crashes the computer
> > becouse of lack of memory.

> > third, when connection is lost, and I am still sending data, then detect
> > there is an error and then close the control, the control generates an
> > connection event... where this event comes from, or who generates it, I
> > dont know, but it is inside the winsock control.

> > all these bugs are confirmed at the microsoft site, its still there in
> > SP3 also. so I cannot use the MS winsock control. does anyone knows if
> > there are other winsock like controls with at least same or better
> > functionality from other companies? and if yes, where can I find them?!
> > I am kind of desperate about this, becouse I cannot make my contol work
> > ok with the MS winsock.

Fri, 27 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 WINSOCK BUGS, HELP!
Generally speaking, we've gotten a lot of feedback from developers
that our control is easier to use, faster and (probably more
importantly) doesn't have some of the fairly unpleasant bugs and
memory leaks that are manifested in Microsoft's control (however, it
would seem that most of these bugs crop up when trying to create
server applications with their control, not simple clients).

There's been some technical discussions on Usenet by other developers
comparing Microsoft's and our control, so you might want to search
using DejaNews if your interested in some objective third-party
comments. Given that SocketWrench is free, you're welcome to download
a copy from our site www.catalyst.com  and check it out (you might
want to take a look at the FAQ while you're there).

David

On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 15:51:00 +0200, Sven Oostenbrink

Quote:

>I am building a internet bases database server. for that purpose I build
>a communications object that dynamically uses winsock controls.. create
>one for a connection, and destroy it again upon connection close. BUT!

>first of all, winsock cannot close an adress and port correctly, so I
>cannot use that specific port for a 4 minutes after is has been closed.
>I need tobe able to use specific ports, so I cannot let winsock decide
>what port to use.

>second, when unloaded, winsock doesnt release all system recourses, so
>its just a matter of time before the control crashes the computer
>becouse of lack of memory.

>third, when connection is lost, and I am still sending data, then detect
>there is an error and then close the control, the control generates an
>connection event... where this event comes from, or who generates it, I
>dont know, but it is inside the winsock control.

>all these bugs are confirmed at the microsoft site, its still there in
>SP3 also. so I cannot use the MS winsock control. does anyone knows if
>there are other winsock like controls with at least same or better
>functionality from other companies? and if yes, where can I find them?!
>I am kind of desperate about this, becouse I cannot make my contol work
>ok with the MS winsock.

Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. WINSOCK BUGS, HELP!

2. WINSOCK BUGS, HELP!