Winsock SendData problems
Author Message
 Winsock SendData problems

I'm writing an app that uses the Microsoft Winsock control to send data
strings to a Unix (SGI IRIX) machine running custom server software ( Peak
Everest real-time 3D rendering environment).   The strings are received by
Everest and used to control the software.
The problem I'm have is when I send the string, Everest just sits there
until I disconnect, then Everest receives the string and uses it.  Someone
suggested I use a doevents after I send the string but this doesn't work.
It is very inconvenient to have to send a string then disconnect then
reconnect to send another string.  I need to send many string to Everest so
I would like to stay connected rather then wait for a disconnect and
reconnect.

Also is there a way to receive binary files they way you can receive strings
with winsock?

Any Ideas?  Is this normal for winsock stuff?  Will a 3rd party winsock
perform better such as Socket wrench?
Thanks
Jim

Mon, 21 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Winsock SendData problems
<cut>
Quote:
>The problem I'm have is when I send the string, Everest just sits there
>until I disconnect, then Everest receives the string and uses it.

<cut>
Not sure about the specific needs for Everest, but many server ends require
that you terminate each command with a specific delimiter.  CR/LF is common,
CR or LF alone may be enough, some might even want a NULL.
Try:
Winsock1.SendData sCommand & vbCRLF ' or vbCR or vbLF or vbNullChar

Quote:
>Also is there a way to receive binary files they way you can receive
strings
>with winsock?

The GetData method allows you to retrieve into a byte array.  Essentially
the winsock control passes data and does not care if you consider it text or
not.  the only trouble with using strings is the ascii/unicode translations
that VB does which may confuse the issue when using binary data.

Mon, 21 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. winsock senddata problem/question

2. Winsock.SendData Problem

3. VB6: Winsock senddata problem - help!

4. Visual Basic Winsock senddata problem

5. WInsock SendData problem HELP

6. Winsock SendData Problem?

7. Winsock SendData problem

8. Winsock SendData Problem