ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure
Author Message
 ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure

I have successfully downloaded a VBD from the Internet Information Server.
What I did was create a Internet download package with VB5's application
setup wizard and then use the NT administrator account on the client machine
to:

(1) Install a copy of VB5(with sp3) on the client machine.
(2) Upgrade IE4 to IE 4.01 on client.

However, the download is only successful on the client with the user account
by which I do the first download. That is, if I were to log on to the client
with another account, even with full administrative rights, I get the error
access rights error on the downloaded vbd

                "Access to the specified device, path or file is denied" .

Can anybody out there please help me on this? Thanks!

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure

Hi Chew,

I don't have a direct answer to your problem. But I am also fighting with
the ActiveXDoc installation process on  networked PC. I have an ActiveXDoc
page on my website and I can't make it work on the PC at the school where I
work. The VB runtime are not installed on the networked PC. From my
understanding of the Internet ActiveX document process the program check if
the run time is installed on the client machine, if not It download the
required files from the Microsoft Internet Site and everything should work
fine. But when I try it on many PC at my school ( without VB runtime) the
program ask me where to download the  .vbd file or to choose a program to
open it, and the installation process fail. Internet Explorer 4.01 don't
open the vbd file and report a white screen with a Navigation canceled
message and there is no further action.

The Web site page address is www.colba.net/~pimenr/CGADOC.HTML
May be you want to check it on your machine. It's about airplane flight
control and the interface is in French.

Quote:
>(1) Install a copy of VB5(with sp3) on the client machine.
>(2) Upgrade IE4 to IE 4.01 on client.

Me, I can't solve the problem by installing VB5 on all machines.

Quote:
>However, the download is only successful on the client with the user
account
>by which I do the first download. That is, if I were to log on to the
client
>with another account, even with full administrative rights, I get the error
>access rights error on the downloaded vbd

>                "Access to the specified device, path or file is denied" .

I don't have this message

Any hints to help me debug my confusion in the ActiveXDoc process ? Thanks
for taking the time to answer my request .

Pierre

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure

CPH:

The ActiveX Docs were not intended to be auto-downloaded.  The idea here was
to give VBers a transition from Windows Forms to HTML Forms by letting them
convert existing Windows Forms into giant ActiveX Controls.  Trouble with
this was the MSFT folks didn't have the time to add the Forms support DLLs
to the auto-downloading CAB process.

Unlike ActiveX Controls, the ActiveX Docs use a DLL *and* a tiny stub file
(VBR) to operate.  There is no 'smarts' in the auto-download to handle this
DLL/VBR pair properly and register them on the workstation.

Your best (not great) alternative is to provide visitors with a "Download
Me" button that will send them a SETUP.EXE kit, have them run the setup, and
connect back to your site(yech).

Hope this helps!

MCA
Michael C. Amundsen, MCP

http://www.amundsen.com
Visit http://www.amundsen.com/vinterdev/default.htm

Quote:

>I have successfully downloaded a VBD from the Internet Information Server.
>What I did was create a Internet download package with VB5's application
>setup wizard and then use the NT administrator account on the client
machine
>to:

>(1) Install a copy of VB5(with sp3) on the client machine.
>(2) Upgrade IE4 to IE 4.01 on client.

>However, the download is only successful on the client with the user
account
>by which I do the first download. That is, if I were to log on to the
client
>with another account, even with full administrative rights, I get the error
>access rights error on the downloaded vbd

>                "Access to the specified device, path or file is denied" .

>Can anybody out there please help me on this? Thanks!

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure

Check you access rights for the user account (or IIS guest account) on the
directory where the VBD file resides.

Quote:

>I have successfully downloaded a VBD from the Internet Information Server.
>What I did was create a Internet download package with VB5's application
>setup wizard and then use the NT administrator account on the client
machine
>to:

>(1) Install a copy of VB5(with sp3) on the client machine.
>(2) Upgrade IE4 to IE 4.01 on client.

>However, the download is only successful on the client with the user
account
>by which I do the first download. That is, if I were to log on to the
client
>with another account, even with full administrative rights, I get the error
>access rights error on the downloaded vbd

>                "Access to the specified device, path or file is denied" .

>Can anybody out there please help me on this? Thanks!

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure

Hi,

The ActiveX Docs are autodownloadable, once you generate your Internet
download package you must provide an HTML page that includes the <OBJECT>
tag referencing the CLSID for the ActiveX, in the CODEBASE element you
include the path for the .CAB file generated by the Setup Wizard and the
version of the component, and a Window_onLoad event that loads the .VBD file
into the page. Please note that a sample of this file is generated with the
Internet Download package.

The VBR file is included when you indicate that some components of your app
will be run on a remote machine, if you are using DCOM to communicate betwen
the components you must have the DCOM package configured on the server
machine (using DCOMCnfg) and if your client is a Win95 machine you must
install DCOM for Windows 95 on the client machine.

Quote:
>CPH:

>The ActiveX Docs were not intended to be auto-downloaded.  The idea here
was
>to give VBers a transition from Windows Forms to HTML Forms by letting them
>convert existing Windows Forms into giant ActiveX Controls.  Trouble with
>this was the MSFT folks didn't have the time to add the Forms support DLLs
>to the auto-downloading CAB process.

>Unlike ActiveX Controls, the ActiveX Docs use a DLL *and* a tiny stub file
>(VBR) to operate.  There is no 'smarts' in the auto-download to handle this
>DLL/VBR pair properly and register them on the workstation.

>Your best (not great) alternative is to provide visitors with a "Download
>Me" button that will send them a SETUP.EXE kit, have them run the setup,
and
>connect back to your site(yech).

>Hope this helps!

>MCA
>Michael C. Amundsen, MCP

>http://www.amundsen.com
>Visit http://www.amundsen.com/vinterdev/default.htm

>>I have successfully downloaded a VBD from the Internet Information Server.
>>What I did was create a Internet download package with VB5's application
>>setup wizard and then use the NT administrator account on the client
>machine
>>to:

>>(1) Install a copy of VB5(with sp3) on the client machine.
>>(2) Upgrade IE4 to IE 4.01 on client.

>>However, the download is only successful on the client with the user
>account
>>by which I do the first download. That is, if I were to log on to the
>client
>>with another account, even with full administrative rights, I get the
error
>>access rights error on the downloaded vbd

>>                "Access to the specified device, path or file is denied" .

>>Can anybody out there please help me on this? Thanks!

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure

HR:

Thanks for taking the time to educate me here.

- create ActiveX Doc
- mark it for remote execution before compiling
- run setup wizard for CAB
- build a valid HTML page that connects to the ActiveX (sample provided by
setup wiz?)
- finally, I need to confirm DCOM support on both ends of the conversation

Again, I learn...

.

>>>Can anybody out there please help me on this? Thanks!

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure

One thing I noticed when I compile my activex document project, lets call it
proj.vbp, with VB5(sp 3) is that sometimes the "proj.exe" file that is
supposed to be generated becomes just "proj".  With this, if you use the
application setup wizard, your activex document will definitely not be
download because the "proj.exe" is not packaged into the "proj.cab" file.
Try compiling again or what I do is to rename the "proj" file manually to
"proj.exe".

Another thing which I did, was to create a dependancy file for the project
first before generating a internet download package - again using the setup
wizard. I don't know if this actually helps but when I didn't do it last
time downloading was impossible.

Also, I followed Microsoft's advise of making the downloading client clean
from any VB 5 files but still could not download the activex document. So I
guess you have to install VB5 on every client machine

Wed, 11 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure

2. ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure

3. Can't download my first .VBD/.CAB ActiveX Document

4. Can't download my first .VBD/.CAB ActiveX Document

5. Display a VBD file from an ActiveX Document Server DLL in a HTML Document

6. Activex document .vbd missing association

7. Help Can't See ActiveX Document (.vbd) in Netscape Communicator 4.0

8. Problem with viewing ActiveX documents (.VBD) on a client Windows station

9. VB5 ActiveX Documents (HTM vs VBD)

10. Missing ActiveX Document (*.vbd) when packaging and deploying

11. Can't run VBD files (ActiveX document) in IE

12. How to set the ActiveX EXE Document (vbd) property in HTML (ASP) page