bitmap to ico => invalid file format help
Author Message
 bitmap to ico => invalid file format help

I made a bitmap and I saved it with the extention .ico
I wanted to use this ico in my main form to be used when this form is
minimalized.

However, when I directed the property: icon to this ico-file a messagebox
appeared with the message "invalid file format".

How can I use this bitmap/icon in my application? Please help..

(ps, I tried to put a bitmap file in an imagelist and then retrieve it, but
i can't seem to direct the icon-property to the image list)

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 bitmap to ico => invalid file format help
Perhaps it has too many colors. I believe it can't be more than
256 colors.

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For every action, this is an equal and opposite criticism."

Quote:
> I made a bitmap and I saved it with the extention .ico
> I wanted to use this ico in my main form to be used when this
form is
> minimalized.

> However, when I directed the property: icon to this ico-file a
messagebox
> appeared with the message "invalid file format".

> How can I use this bitmap/icon in my application? Please help..

> (ps, I tried to put a bitmap file in an imagelist and then
retrieve it, but
> i can't seem to direct the icon-property to the image list)

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 bitmap to ico => invalid file format help

There is a tool called ImagEdit on the VB CD which will allow you to create icons. You can create a new icon and then paste your bitmap into it and save it as an ICO file.

Regards,
Simon Jones
MillStream Designs Ltd
Independent IT Consultants

  I made a bitmap and I saved it with the extention .ico
  I wanted to use this ico in my main form to be used when this form is
  minimalized.

  However, when I directed the property: icon to this ico-file a messagebox
  appeared with the message "invalid file format".

  How can I use this bitmap/icon in my application? Please help..

  (ps, I tried to put a bitmap file in an imagelist and then retrieve it, but
  i can't seem to direct the icon-property to the image list)

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 bitmap to ico => invalid file format help

Quote:
> I made a bitmap and I saved it with the extention .ico
> I wanted to use this ico in my main form to be used when this form is
> minimalized.

What you have there is a bitmap in a file with an extension of ICO and that
is not the same thing as an actual icon.  You could save your bitmap as
"myfile.txt" but that wouldn't make the contents into a text description of
the image...  you need to convert your bitmap to icon format.  There is a
limited image editor that comes with VB and many third-party image editors
available.

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 bitmap to ico => invalid file format help

Quote:

> What you have there is a bitmap in a file with an extension of
ICO and that
> is not the same thing as an actual icon.  You could save your
bitmap as
> "myfile.txt" but that wouldn't make the contents into a text
description of
> the image...  you need to convert your bitmap to icon format.
There is a
> limited image editor that comes with VB and many third-party
image editors
> available.

Well, it is and it isn't. For example, I just saved a 32x32 bitmap
from Paint with the extension ICO, to the desktop. From the
desktop, it not only look like an icon, the picture of the icon is
shown and, in fact, the white areas of the icon are transparent. I
then used the properties window of a shortcut, and Windows
recognized it as an icon just fine.

But, I couldn't load it into an older 16-bit icon editor, and VB
DID give me that error when I tried to assign it to the Form's
icon.

Kind of confusing; I know I've read many times you can create an
icon that way, but the icon created works in some places and not
others.

Certainly the best way is to use a real icon editor, with all it's
advantages (multiple sizes and colors, specify transparent areas,
etc.) is the tool of choice.

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For every action, this is an equal and opposite criticism."

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Print Screen >> bitmap file

2. Invalid file format error help please

3. Q:Multi-Icons format in 1 ICO file

4. Q:Multi-Icons format in 1 ICO file

5. Help please with invalid file format error

6. Help: Invalid file format!

7. Q:Multi-Icons format in 1 ICO file

8. >>>> HELP WITH RUNTIME FILES

9. Invalid File Format error in DB which uses DAO with Access file

10. Invalid File Format error in DB which uses DAO with Access file

11. bitmap 2 ico

12. part of bitmap -> other bitmap