common dialogs
Author Message
 common dialogs

Hi,
I'm using VB as a front end for an access database.  I want to be able to
use the common dialogs to open a new instance of this database, and to
perform file, save, and file, save as on the database.  Is there an easy
way to do this using common dialogs?  I can find lots of info on how to
make a common dialog box appear, but nothing on how to actually make things
happen with it.  Am I missing something?
Thanks, Jill

Fri, 21 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 common dialogs

Common Dialogs are a way to make it easy for the users to make choices,
and for programmers to present them with choices.  For example, many
programs need to let users pick a file to work with.  Every programmer
could make their own method, but this is extra work for the programmer,
and it makes things confusing for the users.   So Microsoft decided to
include a Common Dialog library with Windows.  If a program needs the
user to choose a file, color, printer, or font, the user will already be
familiar with the interface, and the programmer doesn't have to re-code
from scratch.

That's all they do.  It makes sense.  How could a dialog written by
someone else know what you want to do?  You're saving databases, but
someone else is going to use that same dialog to save icons, text, HTML,
etc.

The idea is to use the Common Dialogs to let the user choose a file, and
then write your own saving/opening procedures.  In your case, there are
specific steps involved in saving an Access database from memory to
disk.

You can find more information about this in the documentation and sample
code (always the first place you should look).

Quote:

> Hi,
> I'm using VB as a front end for an access database.  I want to be able to
> use the common dialogs to open a new instance of this database, and to
> perform file, save, and file, save as on the database.  Is there an easy
> way to do this using common dialogs?  I can find lots of info on how to
> make a common dialog box appear, but nothing on how to actually make things
> happen with it.  Am I missing something?
> Thanks, Jill

Fri, 21 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. I want a Non-Common Control found in Common Dialog

2. Common Dialog And Common Control Classes

3. Having problem with Common Dialog Font Dialog - Please Help

4. Question about the Common Dialog print dialog control

5. Try Again: How to change the printer in the Print Dialog of the Common Dialog

6. Common Dialog Problem - Printer Dialog Copies Property

7. Common Dialog -> File Dialog

8. print dialog w/o common dialog

9. Centering a Open Dialog box using the Common dialog

10. What is returned from the printer dialog or common dialog

11. Microsoft Common Dialog Control 6.0 Problem (Print Dialog)

12. Common Dialog's File Open dialog question