newbie question
Author Message
 newbie question

Hi,

I have given a job that requires developing a VB application using Microsoft
Access2000 and at will be operate in a local workstation for time being. But
in the future, customer wants to upgrade to SQL server and also he wants to
be able to use this application on the internet. Could you please explain to
me Which issues I must be aware of when I develop this application. I have
no VB experience other than creating simple forms. Please help if you can.

Thanks

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:15:46 GMT
 newbie question

Quote:

>Hi,

>I have given a job that requires developing a VB application using Microsoft
>Access2000 and at will be operate in a local workstation for time being. But
>in the future, customer wants to upgrade to SQL server and also he wants to
>be able to use this application on the internet. Could you please explain to
>me Which issues I must be aware of when I develop this application. I have
>no VB experience other than creating simple forms. Please help if you can.

>Thanks

There are some variations in the SQL syntax between Jet and SQL
Server.  Since you are planning to switch the backend, you should
design your app so that it is easy to change the SQL syntax when you
make the switch.

You may also want to design the app as an n-tier application so that
the data access layer is encapsulated.  This will allow you to change
data access schemas without having to make changes to the code in your
frontend.

HTH,
Bryan
New Vision Software            "When the going gets weird,"
Bryan Stafford                   "the weird turn pro."

Microsoft MVP-Visual Basic     Fear and Loathing in LasVegas

Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:34:42 GMT

1. Newbie question: Session_OnEnd question

2. Resizing forms question (newbie question)

3. Access97 VBA newbie question

4. Newbie Question: Understanding Syntax

5. Newbie question:

6. Newbie Questions About DAO Queries to SQL Server

7. Brand newbie questions

8. Newbie question

9. Newbie question: open file

10. vba Newbie Question

11. Newbie Question: Getting the Values from Calculated controls into a table

12. Newbie question for calling functions