General Discussion on finding out why this application is misbehaving.
Author Message
 General Discussion on finding out why this application is misbehaving.

I also noticed something else. The dlls' are using Oracle InProc Server 2.2 (oip8.tlb) for connecting to the Oracle
Database. They also have another SQL Server connection and this is using ADO 2.6. Does anyone have any ideas or comments
on the above 2 methods of connecting. I'm familiar with ADO but not the other.

I'm looking for statistics on Performance, Connection Pooling (takes a long time to connect), Thread Safe - when used in
a web application. (IIS stops responding every now and then)

--
Trevor Benedict R
Microsoft Certified Professional

This is going to be a long discussion. I have been handed over a project which had been maintained by
quite a lot of people. This was a client/Server application written in VB 5.0 and later on migrated to VB 6. The backend
is Oracle. This was working on a NT server, recently migrated to Windows 2000. The application has been web enabled
meaning that the front end alone has been converted to web keeping the dll's etc on the server. It uses about 3 dll's
(this is how far I have seen the code). I have been given the responsibility to fix this application. I have no idea
about what it is supposed to do. But like all programmers, I have to start somewhere and I believe that I can fix this
(rather my job is dependet on this). I am planning to raise my serious doubts as a thread inside this mail thread. So if
any of the gurus are intreasted please give me you valuable feedback.

We'll eat this cake one piece at a time.

1. One of the dll is using a VB ActiveX control. This activex control has a MSComm Ocx and WinSock Control. The ActiveX
is single threaded. So is the Dll which is using this ActiveX Control.

a) Will there be any reason for the original programmer to have this as a Single Threaded.
b) Are these 2 activex control mentioned above safe, meaning does anyone know of any knows bugs which I might check for.

I do not have access to any form of documentation or help file. All that I have is the source code. Based on this, I
heard someone in the other team say about the program creating multiple threads. My question is will they have used this
Sigle Thread application for Threading design. I have 3 days to submit a report. This is why I have raised the question
so soon.

I'm still in the process of going through the code. If you are not able to grasp anything from this please bear with me
and let me see the code and will update more statistics here. If you need more information please let me know.

Thanks in Advance,

--
Trevor Benedict R
Microsoft Certified Professional
Mascot Malaysia.

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:51:53 GMT

1. General Discussion on finding out why this application is misbehaving.

2. General Discussion on finding out why this application is misbehaving.

3. VSI Question and general discussion about Ms Installers

4. Is the General Discussion newsgroup down?

5. vb.general.discussion

6. Needing A General Discussion

7. VB.NET General Discussion

8. modulus operator on decimal data type (copied from vb.general discussion)

9. Find tool in code windows seems to be misbehaving

10. Error message: CGI application misbehaved

11. CGI Error - The specified CGI application misbehaved ...

12. CGI Error - The specified CGI application misbehaved ...