Is it possible to Create an Application as a Winnt Service??
Author Message
 Is it possible to Create an Application as a Winnt Service??

Hi
I want to know if it is possible to create an EXE application with VB
6.0 to run as a service like other winnt services..

is it possible??

Tue, 02 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Is it possible to Create an Application as a Winnt Service??
Try SVRANY.EXE from the Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit, it should help.

--
Cheers,
=================================

=================================

Quote:
> Hi
> I want to know if it is possible to create an EXE application with VB
> 6.0 to run as a service like other winnt services..

> is it possible??

Wed, 03 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Is it possible to Create an Application as a Winnt Service??
look for the ntscv.ocx from microsoft. easy with documentation

jc

Quote:
> Hi
> I want to know if it is possible to create an EXE application with VB
> 6.0 to run as a service like other winnt services..

> is it possible??

Wed, 03 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Is it possible to Create an Application as a Winnt Service??
Yes, it is possible.

No, I would not recommend it.  Too much low level detail to be managed well
in VB (threads, handles, concurrency control)

Stephen Fernandez
Categoric Software

Quote:
> look for the ntscv.ocx from microsoft. easy with documentation

> jc

> > Hi
> > I want to know if it is possible to create an EXE application with VB
> > 6.0 to run as a service like other winnt services..

> > is it possible??

Fri, 05 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Is it possible to Create an Application as a Winnt Service??
It is possible, but I cannot recommend it for anything more than a demo
service.

The details of getting a service running, threads, and related housekeeping
are best handled in a C or C++ application.  There is usually enough handles
and low-level datatypes to warm the depths of an engineer's heart.

Just my  opinion,

Stephen Fernandez
Categoric Software

Quote:
> look for the ntscv.ocx from microsoft. easy with documentation

> jc

> > Hi
> > I want to know if it is possible to create an EXE application with VB
> > 6.0 to run as a service like other winnt services..

> > is it possible??

Fri, 05 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Is it possible to Create an Application as a Winnt Service??

Quote:
> look for the ntscv.ocx from microsoft. easy with documentation

> jc

> > Hi
> > I want to know if it is possible to create an EXE application with VB
> > 6.0 to run as a service like other winnt services..

> > is it possible??

Fri, 05 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Is it possible to Create an Application as a Winnt Service??
I would second this as well.  If you're going to write an NT service that
you can depend on, I think you should go C++.  If you're using ATL, you can
tell it that your project will be an NT Service, and it does much of the
work for you.

--
David Hunter
MobileQ

Quote:
> It is possible, but I cannot recommend it for anything more than a demo
> service.

> The details of getting a service running, threads, and related
housekeeping
> are best handled in a C or C++ application.  There is usually enough
handles
> and low-level datatypes to warm the depths of an engineer's heart.

> Just my  opinion,

> Stephen Fernandez
> Categoric Software

> > look for the ntscv.ocx from microsoft. easy with documentation

> > jc

> > > Hi
> > > I want to know if it is possible to create an EXE application with VB
> > > 6.0 to run as a service like other winnt services..

> > > is it possible??

Fri, 05 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Is it possible to Create an Application as a Winnt Service??
Don't let these guys scare you off.

Visit http://vbwire.com/advanced/howto/

(Albeit, IMHO VB is not the ideal tool for this job but it does work)

Quote:
>Hi
>I want to know if it is possible to create an EXE application with VB
>6.0 to run as a service like other winnt services..

>is it possible??

Mon, 15 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. WinNT Service and VB Applications

2. How do I create a WinNT 4.0 Service

3. Seeking guidance re creating WinNT services in VB

4. Creating a WinNT service w/ VB4 ?

5. Is it possible to Create an Application as a Winnt Service??

6. Creating Word Application object from a system service

7. Creating a application that acts like a System Service in Windows2000/XP

8. Creating service application

9. create vb application as a service in windows 2000

10. Creating service application

11. Error creating an application as service

12. Making VB app as WinNT service