Registering ActiveX server - have VB6 Prof but can't find clireg32.exe
Author Message
 Registering ActiveX server - have VB6 Prof but can't find clireg32.exe

I have developed a distributed app and have registered the ActiveX server
component on our server but when I went to create a CAB file for the client
I was prompted for clireg32.exe which is apparently required to register my
remote ActiveX sever, I have searched the VB6 Prof CD but can't find it. I
know that it ships with VB6 Enterprise but I was wondering whether I can
down load it from somewhere. Any Ideas?

Tue, 26 Aug 2003 06:55:58 GMT
 Registering ActiveX server - have VB6 Prof but can't find clireg32.exe
Hi,

i was wondering that you dont have this file. But I looked on my win98
machine and i dont have it too. I also have installed vs6. Do you have an
winnt machine. There the clireg32.exe should be found.

Andr

Quote:
> I have developed a distributed app and have registered the ActiveX server
> component on our server but when I went to create a CAB file for the
client
> I was prompted for clireg32.exe which is apparently required to register
my
> remote ActiveX sever, I have searched the VB6 Prof CD but can't find it. I
> know that it ships with VB6 Enterprise but I was wondering whether I can
> down load it from somewhere. Any Ideas?

Thu, 28 Aug 2003 01:42:25 GMT
 Registering ActiveX server - have VB6 Prof but can't find clireg32.exe
Andr, I have a Win2k machine, and Clireg32 isn't installed.  However, it is
on my VB6 Enterprise disk.

Simon, I was waiting for someone else to chime in here, but it doesn't
appear that the pros are chompin at the bit to talk about Clireg32 this
week.  I was wondering about this program myself.  When I read up about it,
if I remember correctly, Regsvr32 can register components on client
machines.  Have you ever heard such things, or am I reading so much these
days that its all getting jumbled up in my head?

Regards,

Travis Spencer
Portland, OR. USA

Quote:
> Hi,

> i was wondering that you dont have this file. But I looked on my win98
> machine and i dont have it too. I also have installed vs6. Do you have an
> winnt machine. There the clireg32.exe should be found.

> Andr

> > I have developed a distributed app and have registered the ActiveX
server
> > component on our server but when I went to create a CAB file for the
> client
> > I was prompted for clireg32.exe which is apparently required to register
> my
> > remote ActiveX sever, I have searched the VB6 Prof CD but can't find it.
> > know that it ships with VB6 Enterprise but I was wondering whether I can
> > down load it from somewhere. Any Ideas?

Thu, 28 Aug 2003 02:38:29 GMT
 Registering ActiveX server - have VB6 Prof but can't find clireg32.exe
Hi,

Regsvr32 can just register local components. You have to use CliReg32 with
the .vbr files in order to register remote components.

Andr

Quote:
> Andr, I have a Win2k machine, and Clireg32 isn't installed.  However, it
is
> on my VB6 Enterprise disk.

> Simon, I was waiting for someone else to chime in here, but it doesn't
> appear that the pros are chompin at the bit to talk about Clireg32 this
> week.  I was wondering about this program myself.  When I read up about
it,
> if I remember correctly, Regsvr32 can register components on client
> machines.  Have you ever heard such things, or am I reading so much these
> days that its all getting jumbled up in my head?

> Regards,

> Travis Spencer
> Portland, OR. USA

> > Hi,

> > i was wondering that you dont have this file. But I looked on my win98
> > machine and i dont have it too. I also have installed vs6. Do you have
an
> > winnt machine. There the clireg32.exe should be found.

> > Andr

> > > I have developed a distributed app and have registered the ActiveX
> server
> > > component on our server but when I went to create a CAB file for the
> > client
> > > I was prompted for clireg32.exe which is apparently required to
register
> > my
> > > remote ActiveX sever, I have searched the VB6 Prof CD but can't find
it.
> > > know that it ships with VB6 Enterprise but I was wondering whether I
can
> > > down load it from somewhere. Any Ideas?

Thu, 28 Aug 2003 04:27:06 GMT
 Registering ActiveX server - have VB6 Prof but can't find clireg32.exe
Hey Andr,

I suspect that you are probably correct.  However, can you tell me what this quote taken from the
MSDN Library means in light of Regsvr32 inability to register remote components: "To use
[Regsvr32.exe] to register a component on a client, the component must be installed on the client?"

Regards,

Travis Spencer
Portland, OR. USA

P.S. The quote can be found at:
033\techart.chm::/html/sq
l_mts_7.htm on my computer at least.

Quote:

> Hi,

> Regsvr32 can just register local components. You have to use CliReg32 with
> the .vbr files in order to register remote components.

> Andr

> > Andr, I have a Win2k machine, and Clireg32 isn't installed.  However, it
> is
> > on my VB6 Enterprise disk.

> > Simon, I was waiting for someone else to chime in here, but it doesn't
> > appear that the pros are chompin at the bit to talk about Clireg32 this
> > week.  I was wondering about this program myself.  When I read up about
> it,
> > if I remember correctly, Regsvr32 can register components on client
> > machines.  Have you ever heard such things, or am I reading so much these
> > days that its all getting jumbled up in my head?

> > Regards,

> > Travis Spencer
> > Portland, OR. USA

> > > Hi,

> > > i was wondering that you dont have this file. But I looked on my win98
> > > machine and i dont have it too. I also have installed vs6. Do you have
> an
> > > winnt machine. There the clireg32.exe should be found.

> > > Andr

> > server
> > > client
> register
> > > my
> it.
> can

Thu, 28 Aug 2003 07:18:22 GMT
 Registering ActiveX server - have VB6 Prof but can't find clireg32.exe
Hi,

I cant find this article. But the quote just means that the component you
want to register (active x exe or dll) has to be saved on the client and not
on a remote server. With clireg32 you can register a component on a client
that is installed on a remote server. Thats the difference.

I hope that i helped you.

Andr

Quote:
> Hey Andr,

> I suspect that you are probably correct.  However, can you tell me what

this quote taken from the
Quote:
> MSDN Library means in light of Regsvr32 inability to register remote
components: "To use
> [Regsvr32.exe] to register a component on a client, the component must be

installed on the client?"
Quote:

> Regards,

> Travis Spencer
> Portland, OR. USA

> P.S. The quote can be found at:

0
33\techart.chm::/html/sq
Quote:
> l_mts_7.htm on my computer at least.

Quote:
> > Hi,

> > Regsvr32 can just register local components. You have to use CliReg32
with
> > the .vbr files in order to register remote components.

> > Andr

> > > Andr, I have a Win2k machine, and Clireg32 isn't installed.  However,
it
> > is
> > > on my VB6 Enterprise disk.

> > > Simon, I was waiting for someone else to chime in here, but it doesn't
> > > appear that the pros are chompin at the bit to talk about Clireg32
this
> > > week.  I was wondering about this program myself.  When I read up
about
> > it,
> > > if I remember correctly, Regsvr32 can register components on client
> > > machines.  Have you ever heard such things, or am I reading so much
these
> > > days that its all getting jumbled up in my head?

> > > Regards,

> > > Travis Spencer
> > > Portland, OR. USA

> > an

> > > server
> > register
> > it.
> > can

Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:21:35 GMT
 Registering ActiveX server - have VB6 Prof but can't find clireg32.exe
Hello Again Andr,

In that case would this be correct?

I am sitting at ServerA.  ServerB has a component called Component1 registered on it that
ClientComputer1 needs.  From ServerA, I could use Clireg32 to register Component1 on
ClientComputer1.  Is this correct?

Regards,

Travis Spencer
Portland, OR. USA

Quote:

0
> 33\techart.chm::/html/sq
> > l_mts_7.htm on my computer at least.

> > > Hi,

> > > Regsvr32 can just register local components. You have to use CliReg32
> with
> > > the .vbr files in order to register remote components.

> > > Andr

> it
> > > is

> this
> about
> > > it,
> these

> win98
> have
> > > an

> the
> > > register
> find
> > > it.
> > > can

Fri, 29 Aug 2003 01:06:49 GMT
 Registering ActiveX server - have VB6 Prof but can't find clireg32.exe

Quote:
> Hello Again Andr,

> In that case would this be correct?

> I am sitting at ServerA.  ServerB has a component called Component1

registered on it that
Quote:
> ClientComputer1 needs.  From ServerA, I could use Clireg32 to register
Component1 on
> ClientComputer1.  Is this correct?

> Regards,

> Travis Spencer
> Portland, OR. USA

Quote:

0

> > 33\techart.chm::/html/sq
> > > l_mts_7.htm on my computer at least.

CliReg32
> > with

However,
> > it

> > this
> > about
> > these

> > win98
> > have

ActiveX
> > the
> > find

Fri, 29 Aug 2003 03:40:33 GMT
 Registering ActiveX server - have VB6 Prof but can't find clireg32.exe
Hi,

your example isnt correct.

You have 2 computers: Server and Client. The server has a component called
Component1 registered on it. The Client computer wants to use this
component. Then you run clireg32 on the client computer and enter the
ip-adress or the name of the server in the dialog box. The application on
the client now connects to the component on the server. If you want to use
the same component on another clientmachine you have to execute clireg32 on
this computer, too.

2nd example:

You have a client with a component installed on it. You have an application
on that client that needs this component. Then you would use regsvr32
because the component is on the same computer as the client. There are no
remote procedure calls (RPCs).

By the way: You can register active x exes by executing them (double-click
in explorer). You can unregister it with "filename.exe /unregserver". That
just works with exe files because you cant execute dlls. Therefore dlls
have to be registered with regsvr32.

COM is a little bit complex. I had some problems in the beginning, too :-)
But when you understood it, it is quiete simple *g*

bye

Andr

Quote:
> Hello Again Andr,

> In that case would this be correct?

> I am sitting at ServerA.  ServerB has a component called Component1

registered on it that
Quote:
> ClientComputer1 needs.  From ServerA, I could use Clireg32 to register
Component1 on
> ClientComputer1.  Is this correct?

> Regards,

> Travis Spencer
> Portland, OR. USA

Quote:

0

> > 33\techart.chm::/html/sq
> > > l_mts_7.htm on my computer at least.

CliReg32
> > with

However,
> > it

> > this
> > about
> > these

> > win98
> > have

ActiveX
> > the
> > find

Fri, 29 Aug 2003 03:50:01 GMT
 Registering ActiveX server - have VB6 Prof but can't find clireg32.exe
I've looked on NT4 and NT5 machines with no luck. Do you know of another way
to register a remote ActiveX server on a client?

Quote:
> Hi,

> i was wondering that you dont have this file. But I looked on my win98
> machine and i dont have it too. I also have installed vs6. Do you have an
> winnt machine. There the clireg32.exe should be found.

> Andr

> > I have developed a distributed app and have registered the ActiveX
server
> > component on our server but when I went to create a CAB file for the
> client
> > I was prompted for clireg32.exe which is apparently required to register
> my
> > remote ActiveX sever, I have searched the VB6 Prof CD but can't find it.
> > know that it ships with VB6 Enterprise but I was wondering whether I can
> > down load it from somewhere. Any Ideas?

Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:52:03 GMT
 Registering ActiveX server - have VB6 Prof but can't find clireg32.exe
Hey Andr,

So, you can't register Component1 on the client computer from the server.  Isn't that kinda
impractical if you have a network of 45 clients that will all need to have the Component1
registered.  I presume that this is what MTS is for.  Correct?

Quote:
> COM is a little bit complex. I had some problems in the beginning, too :-)
> But when you understood it, it is quiete simple

Your right.  It is complex.  But, stick with me on this one, and I will get it.

Regards,

Travis Spencer
Portland, OR. USA

Quote:

> Hi,

> your example isnt correct.

> You have 2 computers: Server and Client. The server has a component called
> Component1 registered on it. The Client computer wants to use this
> component. Then you run clireg32 on the client computer and enter the
> ip-adress or the name of the server in the dialog box. The application on
> the client now connects to the component on the server. If you want to use
> the same component on another clientmachine you have to execute clireg32 on
> this computer, too.

> 2nd example:

> You have a client with a component installed on it. You have an application
> on that client that needs this component. Then you would use regsvr32
> because the component is on the same computer as the client. There are no
> remote procedure calls (RPCs).

> By the way: You can register active x exes by executing them (double-click
> in explorer). You can unregister it with "filename.exe /unregserver". That
> just works with exe files because you cant execute dlls. Therefore dlls
> have to be registered with regsvr32.

> COM is a little bit complex. I had some problems in the beginning, too :-)
> But when you understood it, it is quiete simple *g*

> bye

> Andr

Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:02:18 GMT
 Registering ActiveX server - have VB6 Prof but can't find clireg32.exe
Hey Simon,

I looked again, and I found CLIREG32.EXE on my Win2k machine at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\Common\Tools\Clireg.

Regards,

Travis Spencer
Portland, OR. USA

Quote:

> I've looked on NT4 and NT5 machines with no luck. Do you know of another way
> to register a remote ActiveX server on a client?

> > Hi,

> > i was wondering that you dont have this file. But I looked on my win98
> > machine and i dont have it too. I also have installed vs6. Do you have an
> > winnt machine. There the clireg32.exe should be found.

> > Andr

> > > I have developed a distributed app and have registered the ActiveX
> server
> > > component on our server but when I went to create a CAB file for the
> > client
> > > I was prompted for clireg32.exe which is apparently required to register
> > my
> > > remote ActiveX sever, I have searched the VB6 Prof CD but can't find it.
> > > know that it ships with VB6 Enterprise but I was wondering whether I can
> > > down load it from somewhere. Any Ideas?

Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:06:36 GMT
 Registering ActiveX server - have VB6 Prof but can't find clireg32.exe
You also have to install the client application on all 45 clients because
you want to use it there. The client needs its dlls in order to run. The
client setup can register the remote component (when you add the .vbr file
to the setup). So there is no additional work. The client looks in the LOCAL
registry in order to start this components. COM manages the remote calls to
the server. The client even dont knows that the components are on a
different computer. COM uses objects called "Proxy" and "Stub":

CLIENT   --->   Proxy    ---->  NETWORK---->  Stub   ---->  Component

When you change your component on the server you just have to replace it (on
the server) and the clients still work (if you use "binary compatibility" in
vb).

With MTS you also have to register the component on all clients. MTS can
create an exe file when you export an package which does this registration.
The advantage of mts is that it supports things like connection and thread
pooling. This means that the connections to the database are limited because
they are used by multiple components. MTS also allows transactions for
components.

Example: 1 Component changes something in the database and starts a
transaction. A second component is instantiated by the first component and
also changes data. The 2nd component now can work within the same
transaction than the other component. Thats just one advantage of mts.

Hope it helped you and post again if you have further questions  :-)

Andr

Quote:
> Hey Andr,

> So, you can't register Component1 on the client computer from the server.
Isn't that kinda
> impractical if you have a network of 45 clients that will all need to have
the Component1
> registered.  I presume that this is what MTS is for.  Correct?

> > COM is a little bit complex. I had some problems in the beginning, too
:-)
> > But when you understood it, it is quiete simple

> Your right.  It is complex.  But, stick with me on this one, and I will
get it.

> Regards,

> Travis Spencer
> Portland, OR. USA

> > Hi,

> > your example isnt correct.

> > You have 2 computers: Server and Client. The server has a component
called
> > Component1 registered on it. The Client computer wants to use this
> > component. Then you run clireg32 on the client computer and enter the
> > ip-adress or the name of the server in the dialog box. The application
on
> > the client now connects to the component on the server. If you want to
use
> > the same component on another clientmachine you have to execute clireg32
on
> > this computer, too.

> > 2nd example:

> > You have a client with a component installed on it. You have an
application
> > on that client that needs this component. Then you would use regsvr32
> > because the component is on the same computer as the client. There are
no
> > remote procedure calls (RPCs).

> > By the way: You can register active x exes by executing them
(double-click
> > in explorer). You can unregister it with "filename.exe /unregserver".
That
> > just works with exe files because you cant execute dlls. Therefore
dlls
> > have to be registered with regsvr32.

> > COM is a little bit complex. I had some problems in the beginning, too
:-)
> > But when you understood it, it is quiete simple *g*

> > bye

> > Andr

Sat, 30 Aug 2003 03:45:26 GMT

1. Problems building install file - AutPrx32.dll, AutMgr32.dll, RACMGR32.dll, CLIREG32.exe NOT FOUND

2. Registry settings for dcom server? (clireg32.exe)

3. Type Library won't register when the .exe using it is registered

4. VB6: Multiple Threads and ActiveX EXE's: HOWTO

5. Activex.Exe's as OLE Servers

6. VB6: Multiple Threads and ActiveX EXE's: HOWTO

7. Distinguish between XP home/prof, w2k SP level, w2K server/prof

8. Can't open VB6 because VB6 caused a stack fault in module VB6.EXE

9. Can't open VB6 because VB6 caused a stack fault in module VB6.EXE

10. Do I Need to Register the Type Library with CLIREG32

11. 'Canned' data in VB program

12. DCom & CLIREG32.exe