ActiveX EXE does not end (different problem)
Author Message
 ActiveX EXE does not end (different problem)

Hi,

VB6
Win2K Prof

I've read all the other ActiveX EXE postings, but none seem to apply here.
My EXE quits nicely when the calling program ends correctly. However, if the
calling program crashes, then the EXE never gets terminated. I even have a
timer set up to clean up if the caller is gone. And it correctly sets
everything to Nothing. However the main (only) class never enters its
terminate event. If I run it from Debug mode, then when I try to stop it
after the caller has crashed and quit, I get a message saying that other
applications are still using it. Now, I checked the Task Manager and the
calling program is most definitely not running.

Any thoughts other than putting in and End statement or using the API to
terminate the process? Ending the process from the Task Manager works fine.

Thanks,
Jason

Sun, 28 Dec 2003 02:58:39 GMT
 ActiveX EXE does not end (different problem)
Hi Jason,

I think the behaviour you observe is typical. I've seen a number of
applications leave out-of-process servers lying around when then crash
(actually I think applications providing VBA often do this). Since the
client crashing is hopefully a rare and unexpected event, do you need to
worry too much about this? If you restart the client does it continue to
work albeit with a few of objects left in limbo? If you are worried, I
suggest writing an app that does use the API to end the appropriate tasks,
but if it only really matters when you're debugging, perhaps using task
manager is easier if it isn't too often.

Regards,

Ade.

Quote:
> Hi,

> VB6
> Win2K Prof

> I've read all the other ActiveX EXE postings, but none seem to apply here.
> My EXE quits nicely when the calling program ends correctly. However, if
the
> calling program crashes, then the EXE never gets terminated. I even have a
> timer set up to clean up if the caller is gone. And it correctly sets
> everything to Nothing. However the main (only) class never enters its
> terminate event. If I run it from Debug mode, then when I try to stop it
> after the caller has crashed and quit, I get a message saying that other
> applications are still using it. Now, I checked the Task Manager and the
> calling program is most definitely not running.

> Any thoughts other than putting in and End statement or using the API to
> terminate the process? Ending the process from the Task Manager works
fine.

> Thanks,
> Jason

Sun, 28 Dec 2003 06:17:27 GMT
 ActiveX EXE does not end (different problem)
Somewhere, your error handling code (or lack thereof) is
bypassing some of the cleanup code.

Steven

Quote:

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 02:11:40 GMT
 ActiveX EXE does not end (different problem)
yeah, it's probably in the error handling. always happens to me in C++ if I
cheat and skip the error handling, but if I do the work to make the app
recover from errors, then even if it shuts down, the component will unload.
Client crashes most likely leave references to the object in limbo and the
ref count never gets decremented.

mike

Quote:
> Hi,

> VB6
> Win2K Prof

> I've read all the other ActiveX EXE postings, but none seem to apply here.
> My EXE quits nicely when the calling program ends correctly. However, if
the
> calling program crashes, then the EXE never gets terminated. I even have a
> timer set up to clean up if the caller is gone. And it correctly sets
> everything to Nothing. However the main (only) class never enters its
> terminate event. If I run it from Debug mode, then when I try to stop it
> after the caller has crashed and quit, I get a message saying that other
> applications are still using it. Now, I checked the Task Manager and the
> calling program is most definitely not running.

> Any thoughts other than putting in and End statement or using the API to
> terminate the process? Ending the process from the Task Manager works
fine.

> Thanks,
> Jason

Tue, 06 Jan 2004 04:58:21 GMT

1. ActiveX exe doesn't end...

2. Why DCOM ActiveX Exe is Working and ActiveX Dll is not working

3. Ending ACTIVEx.EXE

4. How do you end an ActiveX.EXE component?

5. MsgBox freezes ActiveX EXE when running in a different security context

6. My Tree ActiveX control not loaded in different PC

7. Async with ActiveX .EXE COM not working

8. Collection in ActiveX DLL (works in exe but not from ASP)

9. ActiveX EXE not loading

10. Async with ActiveX .EXE COM not working

11. ActiveX EXE Not Unloading from memory

12. Activex Document exe running on client not server.