Saving user preferences
Author Message
 Saving user preferences

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie with VB programming.  I have developed a form which is
just a front end that executes files on the network.  This form is
located on the network and people have created a shortcut to it.  I want
to add 'user preferences' functionality so that a user can make some
customization and then have that saved for the next time he starts teh
form.  How can this be done?

Thanks in advance to whoever is able to help.

Regards,
Adeel

Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:42:28 GMT
 Saving user preferences
I do it through registry entries.  Check your savesetting and getsetting
functions in Help.

Quote:
> Hi everyone,

> I am a newbie with VB programming.  I have developed a form which is
> just a front end that executes files on the network.  This form is
> located on the network and people have created a shortcut to it.  I want
> to add 'user preferences' functionality so that a user can make some
> customization and then have that saved for the next time he starts teh
> form.  How can this be done?

> Thanks in advance to whoever is able to help.

> Regards,
> Adeel

Mon, 15 Aug 2005 05:37:43 GMT
 Saving user preferences
If the EXE lives in a network share, if you use the registry to store
options they'll be stored in the user's machines, not on the server.
However, you can also use a simple text file that resides on the same
directory as the EXE itself, or even an INI file. Just make sure that you
can load and unload settings based on the current user ID.

If you don't want to complicate your life too much, use GetSetting and
SaveSetting. They work through the registry.

--
____________________
Klaus H. Probst, MVP

Please post/reply to the newsgroup(s)

Quote:
> Hi everyone,

> I am a newbie with VB programming.  I have developed a form which is
> just a front end that executes files on the network.  This form is
> located on the network and people have created a shortcut to it.  I want
> to add 'user preferences' functionality so that a user can make some
> customization and then have that saved for the next time he starts teh
> form.  How can this be done?

> Thanks in advance to whoever is able to help.

> Regards,
> Adeel

Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:24:25 GMT
 Saving user preferences
Klaus has provided the answer; I just would like to add a similar sample
using GetSetting and SaveSetting for your reference.

HOWTO: Create a Most Recently Used (MRU) File List in Visual Basic
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;253171'

Sincerely,

Alick Ye, MCSD
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation
Get Secure! - <www.microsoft.com/security>

--------------------

| Hi everyone,
|
| I am a newbie with VB programming.  I have developed a form which is
| just a front end that executes files on the network.  This form is
| located on the network and people have created a shortcut to it.  I want
| to add 'user preferences' functionality so that a user can make some
| customization and then have that saved for the next time he starts teh
| form.  How can this be done?
|
| Thanks in advance to whoever is able to help.
|
| Regards,
| Adeel
|
| *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***
| Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!

Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:09:09 GMT

1. Use of app.config and saving user preferences...

2. Advice on saving array of users preferences

3. Saving Preferences

4. Saving Preferences in .INI

5. User Preferences located in a seperate file

6. User Preferences

7. managing user preferences...opinions needed

8. Default User Preferences

9. Saved = false after user has saved document

10. Application preferences and settings

11. New Syntax Preferences?

12. changing per-contact mail format preference setting