VB COM+ Debugging error in Windows XP
Author Message
 VB COM+ Debugging error in Windows XP

I have found a problem trying to debug a COM+ component
under ASP in Windows XP.  This was working in Windows
2000 before I did the upgrade.  I had all the necessary
security settings that needed to be there in order for it
to work in Win2K, tried my best to verify all those are
the same after the upgrade, and nothing.

Here is what I did.  I Created a small COM DLL in VB, one
class, one function.  Set the MTSTransactionMode to
NotAnMTSObject, had it return a string, displayed it in
an ASP page.  Works great.  Set a breakpoint in the
function, ran it, and it debugs.  Then, set the
MTSTransactionMode property of the class to anything
other than NotAnMTSObject, run it, and it crashes with
the following error:

Server object, ASP 0177 (0x80004002)
No such interface supported
/xptest/test.asp, line 13

I am also having trouble getting interdev to debug.  It
says it cannot put the machine in the necessary debug
state automatically, i press continue and it never hits
the breakpoints.

I don't know if I am fighting security setting that are
new in XP or what.  I have read many posts saying that VS
6 is supposed to work the same in Windows XP.  I sure
hope so.

Any help woul be appreciated.  PLEASE!!!

Thanks
Jeff

Wed, 21 Apr 2004 06:24:33 GMT
 VB COM+ Debugging error in Windows XP
Jeff,

I had much the same problem as you describe but in "plain" VB 6.0/COM+ on
Windows XP (Error 430 The class does not support Automation or does not
support expected interface) when I ran my W2K components in the VB de{*filter*}
for the first time on XP. What I found out is this: You must install a
binary compatible version of your VB DLL in COM+ if your components use
transactions. After a lot of head-scratching and recompiling of my
components, I created a minimal client app (VB exe)that calls a COM+
component. Everything runs OK in the VB de{*filter*} until I set the MTS
property of the component to anything else than 'Not an MTS object' - unless
the DLL is installed into COM+.

Hope this helps,

Arvid

Quote:
> I have found a problem trying to debug a COM+ component
> under ASP in Windows XP.  This was working in Windows
> 2000 before I did the upgrade.  I had all the necessary
> security settings that needed to be there in order for it
> to work in Win2K, tried my best to verify all those are
> the same after the upgrade, and nothing.

> Here is what I did.  I Created a small COM DLL in VB, one
> class, one function.  Set the MTSTransactionMode to
> NotAnMTSObject, had it return a string, displayed it in
> an ASP page.  Works great.  Set a breakpoint in the
> function, ran it, and it debugs.  Then, set the
> MTSTransactionMode property of the class to anything
> other than NotAnMTSObject, run it, and it crashes with
> the following error:

> Server object, ASP 0177 (0x80004002)
> No such interface supported
> /xptest/test.asp, line 13

> I am also having trouble getting interdev to debug.  It
> says it cannot put the machine in the necessary debug
> state automatically, i press continue and it never hits
> the breakpoints.

> I don't know if I am fighting security setting that are
> new in XP or what.  I have read many posts saying that VS
> 6 is supposed to work the same in Windows XP.  I sure
> hope so.

> Any help woul be appreciated.  PLEASE!!!

> Thanks
> Jeff

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 02:28:59 GMT

1. COM Debugging under Windows XP

2. Debugging vb6 COM in XP

3. How to debug COM+object under XP and VB6sp5

4. debugging compiled VB com+ components

5. VB and ACCESS 97 and Windows XP: Run-Time Error 429

6. Debugging COM in Windows 2000

7. Windows XP and COM+ 1.5

8. Windows XP and COM+

9. BUG: VB6 Fails to debug VB-Made ActiveX control with external program on Windows2000\XP

10. Debugging COM+ Componets -- Runtime error 91- Object variable or with block not set

11. COM debug error

12. VB, Windows 2000, COM, COM+, and MTS