Looking for advice: Retrieving large number of rows from SQL, to a web client
Author Message
 Looking for advice: Retrieving large number of rows from SQL, to a web client

You might find that your performance will be better WITHOUT the business
object (I assume you're implying that you're using a business object for
performance reasons, which sometimes works in your favor, and sometimes
doesn't).  See Oscar's article on paging
http://www.*-*-*.com/
without a COM object in between, but the COM object should NOT be used for
logic and, more importantly, persistence.  There will be a new article in
the FAQ soon on paging with a custom stored procedure instead of an
expensive recordset object.

You might also find more enthusiastic responses with a smaller cross-post
list.  I think you reached every one of Microsoft's newsgroups!  Please
follow up only in asp.db, thanks.

--
http://www.*-*-*.com/

I'm looking for some advice.

I have an application which will have a web based client.

The client might perform queries which return LARGE numbers of rows...
hundreds... thousands... or more.

I only want to display 'one screens worth' of rows at a time to the
client...
maybe 10 rows.

Now, the way I see it, my ASP page instantiates my business object, which
gets
the data...  But I have two choices...

1) Have the business object get the entire result set, and send back down
HTML to
the client, 10 rows at a time, as the client clicks 'next' for more rows.
This
means that the business object would have to persist (somewhere, somehow)
the
entire result set, but would mean that the code for scrolling back and forth
through the results would be somewhat simple, since ADO would handle it for
me.

OR

2) Have the business object only query the first 10 rows of data (using a
TOP 10
clause), passing down the result to the client. When the client wants more
rows,
he returns they key value (on which the data was ordered) of the last row,
and
uses that as a starting point for the next TOP 10 query.

Since this is my first attempt at building a web client, and the supporting
business objects, I'm pretty ignorant of what the best way to go would be.

Any suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated.

-Clay

Sat, 30 Aug 2003 03:06:32 GMT

1. Looking for advice: Retrieving large number of rows from SQL, to a web client

2. Looking for advice: Retrieving large number of rows from SQL, to a web client

3. Looking for advice: Retrieving large number of rows from SQL, to a web client

4. Looking for advice: Retrieving large number of rows from SQL, to a web client

5. Looking for advice: Retrieving large number of

6. Insert large number of rows from VB into Sql Server

7. Inserting large number of records into a large table with SQL/DAO

8. FASTEST way to build large edit table (2500+ rows) on ie5 client

9. Trouble retrieving a fairly large number of records from a database

10. Advice with SLOW SELECTs against large SQL Server database

11. BCP or Performance enhancement when populating large number of rows

12. Deleting large numbers of rows