Upgrade to COM+ 1.5
Author Message
 Upgrade to COM+ 1.5

Hi All,

I have read the following document from MSDN:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

And here is the most important point:

"COM+ 1.0 is very conservative regarding transaction isolation. It allows
only the highest level of isolation: serialized. With serialized
transactions, the results obtained from a set of concurrent transactions are
identical to the results obtained by running each transaction serially. Such
a high degree of isolation comes at the expense of overall system throughput
because the resource managers involved have to hold on to both read and
write locks for as long as a transaction is in progress, and during this
time all other transactions are blocked."

I am using COM+ 1.0 with Windows 2000 now and seems have the above problem.
When a transaction is still in progress, not only
a new transaction can be started, but also other action without transaction
level. So, is there any solution for it?

The article above said COM+ 1.5 can solve the problem, but I want to know
how much effort we need to take if we upgrade to COM+1.5?
Our COM+ component are written by VB 6.0 with ADO 2.6, do we need to change
the coding? Also, I want to know Windows2000 support COM+ 1.5 or not? If so,
how to upgrade COM+ 1.2 to COM+ 1.5? Thx for your help!

Br,
Rayman

Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:22:01 GMT
 Upgrade to COM+ 1.5
com+ 1.5 needs XP or .NET server
u can lower the iso level with sql hints
read the article on my website

--
Steffen Ramlow
Enterprise Development: http://www.dev-purgatory.org/

Quote:
> Hi All,

> I have read the following document from MSDN:

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/08/ComXP/print.asp

> And here is the most important point:

> "COM+ 1.0 is very conservative regarding transaction isolation. It allows
> only the highest level of isolation: serialized. With serialized
> transactions, the results obtained from a set of concurrent transactions
are
> identical to the results obtained by running each transaction serially.
Such
> a high degree of isolation comes at the expense of overall system
throughput
> because the resource managers involved have to hold on to both read and
> write locks for as long as a transaction is in progress, and during this
> time all other transactions are blocked."

> I am using COM+ 1.0 with Windows 2000 now and seems have the above
problem.
> When a transaction is still in progress, not only
> a new transaction can be started, but also other action without
transaction
> level. So, is there any solution for it?

> The article above said COM+ 1.5 can solve the problem, but I want to know
> how much effort we need to take if we upgrade to COM+1.5?
> Our COM+ component are written by VB 6.0 with ADO 2.6, do we need to
change
> the coding? Also, I want to know Windows2000 support COM+ 1.5 or not? If
so,
> how to upgrade COM+ 1.2 to COM+ 1.5? Thx for your help!

> Br,
> Rayman

Sun, 29 Aug 2004 02:00:03 GMT

1. Upgrading / Downgrading between AD0 1.5/2.1

2. Windows XP and COM+ 1.5

3. COM+ 1.5 and Windows 2000

4. VB5EE setup wizard and mdac 1.5 (ado 1.5) problem

5. Display 1.50 and not 1.5

6. Help; Centura 1.5, CDO

7. MBasic 1.5

8. TURBO*LIBRARY 1.5

9. LDAP connection with ADO 1.5

10. OsloData 1.5 :New DB SHAREWARE

11. QuickFORM 1.5 now shipping

12. Announcing WinBrowse 1.5 - Multi database utility and browser