COM objects on ASP communicating with running prog
Author Message
 COM objects on ASP communicating with running prog

Hello!
I have little problem...
I need to run a conversion utility on a web server. This works fine
when logged on interactively, but not as a service. I have an idea on
how to solve this, but not all the knowledge needed. Can someone help
me with the details?

Two components:
1. An ActiveX-Exe running on the server
2. An ActiveX-Dll called on an ASP-page

The Dll is created
     set myobj=server.createobject("x.x")
and called with
     myobj.Convert param1,param2,param3

The Convert-call raises an event in the running instance ActiveX-Exe
on the server which does what it's supposed to do.

Is this feasible?

/Sam

Sun, 09 May 2004 23:34:31 GMT
 COM objects on ASP communicating with running prog
The Convert method needs to create an instance of the object in the
activeX EXE using the WithEvents keyword and then use the RaiseEvent
function to raise the event. Read up on these two features. VB6 came
with a sample project named Coffee that shows how this works.

Bill Conniff
http://www.bci-tools.com
Home of Code Retriever, a VB Add-in that searches source code for
language elements, including variables, controls and objects, instead
of text strings.

Quote:

> Hello!
> I have little problem...
> I need to run a conversion utility on a web server. This works fine
> when logged on interactively, but not as a service. I have an idea on
> how to solve this, but not all the knowledge needed. Can someone help
> me with the details?

Mon, 10 May 2004 07:28:12 GMT
 COM objects on ASP communicating with running prog
I have studied that example and I *think* I understand it. But
(there's always a but) in that case the Monitor object was created by
the Watcher program. In my case the "Monitor equivalent" is started
from another process. How does the Watcher know what to listen for
then?

/Sam

Quote:

> The Convert method needs to create an instance of the object in the
> activeX EXE using the WithEvents keyword and then use the RaiseEvent
> function to raise the event. Read up on these two features. VB6 came
> with a sample project named Coffee that shows how this works.

> Bill Conniff
> http://www.bci-tools.com
> Home of Code Retriever, a VB Add-in that searches source code for
> language elements, including variables, controls and objects, instead
> of text strings.

> > Hello!
> > I have little problem...
> > I need to run a conversion utility on a web server. This works fine
> > when logged on interactively, but not as a service. I have an idea on
> > how to solve this, but not all the knowledge needed. Can someone help
> > me with the details?

Mon, 10 May 2004 20:02:06 GMT
 COM objects on ASP communicating with running prog
you should not run such architecture because VB activex exes were not made
for ASP but for client-server solutions... You'll get threading and
performance issues
Ask more about it at the ASP section...

--
Egbert Nierop

Session management for webfarms:

> Hello!
> I have little problem...
> I need to run a conversion utility on a web server. This works fine
> when logged on interactively, but not as a service. I have an idea on
> how to solve this, but not all the knowledge needed. Can someone help
> me with the details?

> Two components:
> 1. An ActiveX-Exe running on the server
> 2. An ActiveX-Dll called on an ASP-page

> The Dll is created
>      set myobj=server.createobject("x.x")
> and called with
>      myobj.Convert param1,param2,param3

> The Convert-call raises an event in the running instance ActiveX-Exe
> on the server which does what it's supposed to do.

> Is this feasible?

> /Sam

Tue, 11 May 2004 02:59:34 GMT

1. COM-Object in ASP with COM-Object as parameter

2. COM-Object in ASP with COM-Object as Parameter

3. com object will not read registry when com object called from asp (vb works fine)

4. ASP not running COM objects from within VBScript

5. how to communicate with a running COM application

6. how to communicate with a running COM application

7. Need to Access ASP Session Objects from External COM Object

8. Returning an object with sub objects from vb component (COM) to ASP

9. ASP and COM Ran out of memory Error

10. Access a COM object of a COM object?

11. Accessing a COM object of a COM object

12. COM runs in VB client, fails in ASP