Server Components
Author Message
 Server Components

People in my department use an SQL Server driven Access DB for work orders.
A few months ago my boss asked me if it would be possible to add a button to
the main work order form, that with one click would email the work order to
the address already specifed in the work order record. Not thinking about
how I would accomplish this at the time, I told him no problem. The first
way I thought I could accomplish this by using the CDONTS component since
all of the workstations in my department use windows 2000 professional.
While I liked how easy this approach was, I didn't like the fact that I had
to have the IIS STMP server installed on every workstation. What I'm
interested in now is creating some kind of server side component or
executable that would run on our department server. The Access client would
then make a call to the client component using VBA. I have no problem
writing COM Components, however I have had no luck get those components to
work remotely. I've read in many places that this is easy to do, if some one
had some ideas on how to do it, or a simple framework, that's all I need. I
don't need to be shown how get the server to send an email, just how to get
it to do some kind of action initiated from VBA code on a remote computer.

Thanks

Michael Case

Sat, 15 May 2004 11:04:42 GMT
 Server Components
In your case I think the best solution is to write an SQL Server's stored
procedure to send email - see SQL Server help for details. You also may use
Simple MAPI API functions - Michael Kaplan has a good example of its use at
http://www.trigeminal.com/lang/1033/codes.asp?ItemID=24#24 or Outlook type
library.

Alex.

Quote:

> People in my department use an SQL Server driven Access DB for work
orders.
> A few months ago my boss asked me if it would be possible to add a button
> the main work order form, that with one click would email the work order
> the address already specifed in the work order record. Not thinking about
> how I would accomplish this at the time, I told him no problem. The first
> way I thought I could accomplish this by using the CDONTS component since
> all of the workstations in my department use windows 2000 professional.
> While I liked how easy this approach was, I didn't like the fact that I
had
> to have the IIS STMP server installed on every workstation. What I'm
> interested in now is creating some kind of server side component or
> executable that would run on our department server. The Access client
would
> then make a call to the client component using VBA. I have no problem
> writing COM Components, however I have had no luck get those components to
> work remotely. I've read in many places that this is easy to do, if some
one
> had some ideas on how to do it, or a simple framework, that's all I need.
> don't need to be shown how get the server to send an email, just how to
get
> it to do some kind of action initiated from VBA code on a remote computer.
> Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks

> Michael Case

Sat, 15 May 2004 06:58:37 GMT
 Server Components
I may use the MAPI suggestion you made, however I would
still like to try the method I had in my original post. I
have some practical reasons for this, and I would also
just for the sake of knowing how, like to learn how to
execute remote components as ActiveX EXEs or some other
comparable method.

Quote:

Sat, 15 May 2004 17:32:23 GMT
 Server Components
Actually, if you compile a simple mapi project from the TSI site, what would
prevent you to install the dll on a remote server and run it as a DCOM
server?

Alex.

Quote:
> I may use the MAPI suggestion you made, however I would
> still like to try the method I had in my original post. I
> have some practical reasons for this, and I would also
> just for the sake of knowing how, like to learn how to
> execute remote components as ActiveX EXEs or some other
> comparable method.

Sun, 16 May 2004 09:41:35 GMT

1. ANN: TFTP Server Component for .NET

2. VB server components on Windows 2000

3. Server components for Windows 2000

4. NEW From Mabry - FTP Server Components

5. Server Components Not Correctly Registered (Error 339)

6. Can't register ASP server component on another host

7. Connecting VBScript application to ATL/COM/DLL server component

8. server component - strange problem

9. Using ATL Active Server Components in VBScript??

10. Active Server Component development.

11. Webclass versus ASP and ActiveX Server Components

12. server component (scheduler)