.Net or VB6
Author Message
 .Net or VB6

I am just starting to learn about VB.Net and I have to say it looks pretty
impressive so far.  Not many people seem to be talking about it though, and
I haven't found many websites catering to code for this environment like I
do with VB6.  What is the general opinion? Do people like it or not?

Sun, 24 Oct 2004 07:25:29 GMT
 .Net or VB6
James,

Quote:
>Not many people seem to be talking about it though

We are, but not in this group. Check out
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

Mattias

===
Mattias Sj?gren (VB MVP)

http://www.msjogren.net/dotnet/

Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:29:02 GMT
 .Net or VB6

Quote:

> I am just starting to learn about VB.Net and I have to say it looks pretty
> impressive so far.  Not many people seem to be talking about it though, and
> I haven't found many websites catering to code for this environment like I
> do with VB6.  What is the general opinion? Do people like it or not?

An "embraced and extended" Java rip-off with the serial numbers
filed off and a new coat of paint...  What's to like?  Everyone
knows it's hardly more than a macro package slapped in front of
the C# compiler, which is the /true/ .NET language.  Oh well,
perhaps it's time once again to relearn why garbage collection's
proper place is in a dumpster just outside the "ivory tower"...

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Sacrament R2-45 <http://www.xenu.net/>

Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:45:13 GMT
 .Net or VB6
Do you pipe on crack?

Quote:

> > I am just starting to learn about VB.Net and I have to say it looks
pretty
> > impressive so far.  Not many people seem to be talking about it though,
and
> > I haven't found many websites catering to code for this environment like
> > do with VB6.  What is the general opinion? Do people like it or not?

> An "embraced and extended" Java rip-off with the serial numbers
> filed off and a new coat of paint...  What's to like?  Everyone
> knows it's hardly more than a macro package slapped in front of
> the C# compiler, which is the /true/ .NET language.  Oh well,
> perhaps it's time once again to relearn why garbage collection's
> proper place is in a dumpster just outside the "ivory tower"...

> --
> Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Sacrament R2-45

<http://www.xenu.net/>

> WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're
coming  to
> because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away,
ha ha!

Sun, 24 Oct 2004 20:36:45 GMT
 .Net or VB6

Quote:

> Do you pipe on crack?

Why, have you run out, and you're in desperate need of a fix?
What else would possibly explain your quoting my entire post
just to add what you seem to think is a valid counterargument?

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>   L. Ron Dullard <http://www.xenu.net/>

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:41:56 GMT
 .Net or VB6
It looks like youve been asleep while the rest of the world is learning
.Net, thats all.

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:27:01 GMT
 .Net or VB6

Quote:

> It looks like youve been asleep while the rest of the world is learning
> .Net, thats all.

Wrong, moron.  I'm quite familiar with just how garbage collection
performs under anything other than the lightest of system loads.
Garbage collection may be a good choice for ultra-na?ve benchmark
tests, but it is an absolute disaster in the /real/ world.  Horror
stories such as the following are all too common, no thanks to Sun
Microsystems and their apparently very infectious brand of idiocy:

 URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=ODtUTST9BHA.1700%40tkmsftngp07

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     On the cans? <http://www.xenu.net/>

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 01:51:55 GMT
 .Net or VB6
moron your ass, you should not be so radical.

Besides, who cares, I just mean, do work with VB.net? for how long have you?

Quote:

> > It looks like youve been asleep while the rest of the world is learning
> > .Net, thats all.

> Wrong, moron.  I'm quite familiar with just how garbage collection
> performs under anything other than the lightest of system loads.
> Garbage collection may be a good choice for ultra-na?ve benchmark
> tests, but it is an absolute disaster in the /real/ world.  Horror
> stories such as the following are all too common, no thanks to Sun
> Microsystems and their apparently very infectious brand of idiocy:

URL:http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=ODtUTST9BHA.1700%40tkmsftngp07
Quote:

> --
> Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     On the cans?

<http://www.xenu.net/>
Quote:
> WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're
coming  to
> because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away,
ha ha!

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 04:15:58 GMT
 .Net or VB6

Quote:

> moron your ass, you should not be so radical.

> Besides, who cares, I just mean, do work with VB.net? for how long have you?

"Radical" your two brain cells!  (If you continue sitting on them like
that, they may die...)  Try doing your /own/ research into GC systems,
then.  And no, I don't mean just Micro$haft's Marketing Propaganda.NET
in MSDN.  I'm surprised they haven't "disappeared" these "objective"
hatchet-jobs yet:

The Problem with Implementation Inheritance (Appendix 1)
 URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnco...

Problems Associated with Implementation Inheritance
 URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvb...

VB Developers Have no Class:

So in barely three years, OOP and implementation inheritance has gone
from being Evil, Bad, and Wrong, to being The One True Way?  And you
accuse /me/ of sucking on a crack pipe!?  Maybe I can still find some
foaming-at-the-mouth anti-GC/Java rants and hit-pieces within MSDN...

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>   L. Ron Dullard <http://www.xenu.net/>

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:25:06 GMT

1. Grid control in NET vs VB6

2. Need to convince company to use .NET over VB6 for new project

3. trying to come over to .net from vb6 - db question

4. How can i use the class, writeen by vb.net ,in vb6 or asp

6. Migrating to VB.net from VB6?

7. VS.NET kills VB6 install packages by replacing dlls

8. Drawing Grids in VB.NET vs VB6

9. VB.Net and VB6?

10. Callbacks from VB.NET to VB6

11. Help with using a dll from vb.net in vb6

12. VB.net or VB6