Please Help ME
Author Message
 Please Help ME

Hello:

I'm using windows 2000 component services and Visual Basic 6.0 to implement
a distributed component.

Aparently the components works inside the component services environment but
only when the client application is running on the same server.

How can I distribute my application to other computers (i.e. windows nt) and
make them use the component on windows 2000?

What steps are necessary?

Thanks

Eduardo

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 01:16:14 GMT
 Please Help ME
Eduardo,

It sounds like what you really want to do is DCOM.  This
will likely be a significant shift in methodologies for
you, but DCOM (or a SOAP call if you want to shift up
to .NET stuff) will be your best options for this.

If you are planning on distributing your application
outside of your controlled network (i.e. clients around
the world), you should look into SOAP and .NET.  But if
you control all of the workstations which will be
accessing this COM object on the remote server, DCOM
should be sufficient.

I can't go into the details of DCOM as I'd be here for
weeks writing...  I suggest searching through MSDN for
some good articles on how to implement DCOM.

One important thing to note.  If you plan on doing DCOM
through a NATted network, you will run into major issues
and will likely have to devise your own home-grown
solution.  DCOM uses the RPC protocol, which does not
function properly through NAT.

Quote:

Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:08:54 GMT

2. PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP

3. Please Help...Crystal Reports..Please Help

4. PLEASE HELP... PLEASE HELP... PLEASE HELP...

5. Please Please PLEASE HELP!!!!!

6. Please please please, help me :-)

7. Please, please, please help!!

8. Cloning problem -- please please please help

9. Please, please, please, help!

10. DATAbase Printing PLEASE, PLEASE Help me - please?

11. DATAbase Printing - PLEASE, PLEASE Help me - please?

12. Please, Please, Please,Help craxdrt.dll