Printing from VB using MS Word 2000 on multiprocessor machine
Author Message
 Printing from VB using MS Word 2000 on multiprocessor machine

Hello,

We use MS Word 2000 to make report printouts from applications written in VB
6.0 SP6. The reports are created based on templates that are initiated by
calling macros having XML string as a parameter.

The problem we have faced is that running the applications on some
multi-processor machines and calling PrintOut method (of Word.Application or
Document object) from the applications or from a macro causes the
applications crash without displaying any message. MS Word process stays in
memory after that. The most recent case is crashing while calling the method
with Background parameter set to False. It doesn't matter  if we try to
print directly to a printer or to file. It behaves the same way. Moreover,
using other Word.Document's method i.e. Save works correctly (?!) It looks
like once the PrintOut method is called the applications crash before the
method is finished (according to what we were able to debug). We were not
even able to handle any error at that moments.

The components architecture is as follows:
App.exe -> OCX -> DLL_1 -> DLL_2 -> Word.Application/Word.Document

1. App.exe embeds the OCX
2. OCX references DLL_1 which uses CreateObject to create an object of a
class from DLL_2 (the class covers MS Word functionality) and returns it
back to the OCX)
3. DLL_2 is the only component where MS Word is accessed.
4. OCX asks the object from DLL_2 to make a printout (to forward the
invocation to Word.Application or Word.Document objects)

Hope somebody can help.

Regards,
Przemyslaw

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:02:15 GMT

1. Print formatting problems -- Using VBA in Access 2000 to print a doc in Word

2. VB App will not run on multiprocessor machines!

3. VB App will not run on multiprocessor machines!

4. VB App will not run on multiprocessor machines!

5. Printing using MS Word through VB

6. MS PJ 2000 and MS Word via VBA

7. App in VB5 using Access97 incompatible with machine using Access 2000

8. App in VB5 using Access97 incompatible with machine using Access 2000

9. Q:Envoking MS-Word from VB4 when Exchange is using MS-Word

10. ASP appliction hangs on Multiprocessor machine

11. Print Word ((97/2000) from a list through VB

12. Automating email function within Word 2000 using Access 2000